Law School Discussion

Chonralda: Still kicking and taking questions: 2L at UConn law

Chonralda: Still kicking and taking questions: 2L at UConn law
« on: January 17, 2008, 08:15:54 PM »
All -

It's been awhile - don't think there are many friends here from the 05-06 cycle, but I've always had lots of inquiries from newbies looking at UConn. Just wanted to say I'm still here, just not too active. Feel free to PM me about UConn law - I'm always happy to exchange emails and muse about the best law school in CT (Yale isn't in CT, so it doesn't count!).

Re: Chonralda: Still kicking and taking questions: 2L at UConn law
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 09:46:11 PM »
Uconn is one of my top choices.  I am from CT and would love to practice law there. The admissions committee said they wouldn't start reviewing applications until this month, do you have any idea when they will send out the first wave of decisions? I think I have a decent shot - 3.4 GPA, 157, 163 LSAT, paralegal at biglaw in NYC.

How are the career opportunities in Fairfield county (specifically Stamford)? Is is tougher to get hired down there given the proximity to New York?

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 10:05:44 PM »
Camel-

I think I heard back sometime in March, which I believe was pretty standard for similarly situated people to me.

Stamford is a bigger legal market in CT, behind Hartford of course. Bridgeport and Waterbury also top the list, but it's pretty wide open after Hartford. If you're really interested in Stamford there are firms there that do come to UConn, but since they are usually smaller firms its a) your legwork required to find them and solicit them for employment and b) also a fact that a lot of smaller firms do no hire right out of law school since they cannot afford to spend years training you.

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 01:20:45 PM »
Any idea why I got waitlisted with a 166 and a 3.8? I had real intentions of going to UConn as I'm from Westchester and I thought it would be a good fit. Have you heard of any similar stories from classmates? Obviously I don't want to go to UConn for full sticker price and was expecting a nice scholarship, is that still possible after a waitlist? I immediately sent back the letter with LOCI.

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 10:08:37 AM »
i was recently accepted at UCONN and am heading up for a visit around the
21st of Feb.  Any suggestions for what neighborhoods I should visit to get
an idea of housing?  Where do most law students live?  I'd like to be near
a park and within walking distance of UCONN since I have no car.  Any
UCONN suggestions/advice is appreciated. Overall, are you glad you are there?

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 12:34:38 PM »
Imagurl - housing at uconn law fall into a few categories. For most people (ie those in mid 20's not married, etc) it's within 3 grades.

1) Area right around the school. This includes Clemens Place, a few apt buildings right off Farmington, Whitney, Fern etc. Those are the closest places and are within walking distance, though that's tough in the winter and sorta dangerous late at night.

2) 5 minute drive or so. This area is Farmington Ave. towards West Hartford Center, with tons of people off of Quaker St. right now.

3) 5-10 minute drive or so. This is where I live, which is either West Hartford streets past WH Center, or housing south of 84 near where Prospect Ave is.

And yes, I am very glad I go here.

Hope this helps.