Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Starting to burn out a little bit  (Read 480 times)

TJCCARDCO

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Starting to burn out a little bit
« on: January 17, 2008, 07:47:54 PM »
I have been studying 3-4 hours a day since the end of November and I am starting to look at questions, get them right but feel no motivation to keep doing it anymore. Anyone recommend taking a few days off or will that be LSAT suicide? (taking test Feb 2008- which i read is the hardest EVER - jk)

My Logic Games are solid, getting 1 or 2 wrong per section.
My LR Section (as I said in another post) is around 5-7 wrong per section.
My Reading Comp is the weakest at 7-9 wrong per section.

Figuring that I'd get about 80 questions right, that leaves me 80/101, which isn't bad. It's not a 170, but I don't see myself getting a 170 either. 160-165 is my goal.

Any personal experience would help.

Mike

doos13

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Starting to burn out a little bit
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 04:28:14 AM »
I have been studying 3-4 hours a day since the end of November and I am starting to look at questions, get them right but feel no motivation to keep doing it anymore. Anyone recommend taking a few days off or will that be LSAT suicide? (taking test Feb 2008- which i read is the hardest EVER - jk)

My Logic Games are solid, getting 1 or 2 wrong per section.
My LR Section (as I said in another post) is around 5-7 wrong per section.
My Reading Comp is the weakest at 7-9 wrong per section.

Figuring that I'd get about 80 questions right, that leaves me 80/101, which isn't bad. It's not a 170, but I don't see myself getting a 170 either. 160-165 is my goal.

Any personal experience would help.

Mike

Hey Mike,

Take a break here and there.  At least one day a week where you don't look at LSAT or talk about it. 

You have to give your brain a little bit of recovery time to process and 'encode' the stuff/patterns you have seen and learned for them to stick so that that stuff/recognition comes out in split seconds on the fly on test day.

If you just keep throwing more stuff into it over and over repeatedly non-stop your brain has no chance to integrate it all on a higher level. 

A getting a big picture perspective type of thing.  Once you take a day or so away from something and give it a rest and then take another look at it you see it in a new perspective.  If you just stare at it over and over non-stop you can get lost in all the mish mash instead of getting to the point of being able to easily and quickly recognize/see familiar patterns and overarching structures/constructions.

The brief rest times are essential for the larger structures / patterns to set in and become familiar.

This plays a lot into what I have said in a few other recent posts about building up your LSAT 'instincts' for test day for when you will be under a lot more stress and extreme time pressure.

This may confuse the matter at first, but it does have relevance and is just good music and philosophy:  (2 versions)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0t9o6BQZ-4   {text lyrics you can read as it goes}

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG7txWrqkrI

(one great quote from the lyrics-  "actually seen the wiring under the board")

Hooey.

TJCCARDCO

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Starting to burn out a little bit
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 02:38:09 PM »
thanks. I'll be sure to do that. I like the links too  ;D

doos13

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email