Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is there anything you can do to stop parents from claiming you as a dependent?  (Read 3386 times)

Tegoyan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I'm sure there may be other people here in this situation regarding residency and in-state tuition. I am 21, graduating from college in May and looking at my mother's tax return from last year it looks as if she claimed me even though she said she wouldn't. Surprise.

She doesn't pay for ANYTHING at all. Nothing for tuition, expenses, books, travel, nothing. I pay for everything myself. I don't live with her at all, not even during the summers or breaks. I know that I can try to file first and claim myself but I will still need to show UIUC my mother's tax return. If she claims me anyway (which I'm sure she will do), I'm screwed.

How can she legally claim me as a dependent? What can I do to stop this from happening this year?  ???

Clayton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
For graduate school, when it comes to aid, you are considered independant. In fact when filling out your fafsa you no longer have to include your parents income, regardless of your "status".

The only issue that would arise (that I can see) is if your parent lives in a different state than you are trying to claim residency in.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Get married!  :D

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Or join the army.  I hear its nice in Baghdad this time of year.

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
For graduate school, when it comes to aid, you are considered independant. In fact when filling out your fafsa you no longer have to include your parents income, regardless of your "status".

The only issue that would arise (that I can see) is if your parent lives in a different state than you are trying to claim residency in.

Is this true? What if you have no income? (And therefore your parents obv pay for you). MY law school debt is all my own, my dad isn't helping.

I was going to call him today to get his info to fill it out... do I not need to?
Vandy 1L... really?

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Is this true? What if you have no income? (And therefore your parents obv pay for you). MY law school debt is all my own, my dad isn't helping.

I was going to call him today to get his info to fill it out... do I not need to?

After you submit your personal data for the FAFSA, it should classify you as "independent," and should tell you that your parent's financial information is not necessary.  I assume you are asking about the FAFSA.  Some schools still want to see parent's financial information, though.

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Fafsa determines for itself if you are a dependent or not.

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
RE: FAFSA

According to FAFSA you're independent.

Many schools are going to ask for your parental info via NeedAccess or their own institutional forms, however.

Outlaw22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
File your taxes. And tell your mom not to claim you on hers. It's really not hard. If she claims you despite this she will have to deal with the IRS.

Then fill out fafsa with only your own info (you don't have to put your parents info). And if your law school asks for your parents info, then they ask it of everyone regardless of whether you are dependent or independent so you give it to them.
Penn Law Class of 2011

Rhymnoceros

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I'm the mother flippin'"
    • View Profile
    • LSN
File your taxes. And tell your mom not to claim you on hers. It's really not hard. If she claims you despite this she will have to deal with the IRS.

Then fill out fafsa with only your own info (you don't have to put your parents info). And if your law school asks for your parents info, then they ask it of everyone regardless of whether you are dependent or independent so you give it to them.

Yeah, that's all it takes. But you should know that there is a reason dependency exists. Your mom get an exemption because you are a dependent, and this could make a pretty big difference in her income. Obviously it makes a difference for your financial aid also, but its worth considering that fact.

She can claim you as a dependent if you spend more than half of your time at home, are under 19 or are under 24 and attending college, you make under 1400 that year, AND she is contributing to your income. So if those are not the case you can just file independent and the IRS will ask you both to do a ton of paperwork. Afterwards they'll see your mother lied and probably penalize her.