Law School Discussion

Columbia

doos13

• View Profile
    • Email
Columbia
« on: January 17, 2008, 12:00:36 PM »
Does Columbia Law have a campus? How's the community there?

Re: Columbia
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 12:13:23 PM »
Columbia Law does not have its own campus, but it's across the street from the main Columbia campus. There are two buildings around the corner from each other. The building with the library is next to the School of International and Public Affairs and the East Campus undergrad dormitory (which used to house law students). Like most New York schools, people often leave campus to do stuff. Columbia's neighborhood is safe (although there was a shooting at a bar not far from the law school two months ago). There are restaurants of all types around campus or a short subway ride away, plus lots of delivery options.

Columbia's overall grad community is huge. Social Work, Teachers College, SIPA, and the Journalism are all nearby. Recent grads also often move into the neighborhood.

AHHH

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 01:16:35 PM »
mmm while Columbia Law doesn't have it's own campus, it's actually part of Columbia U's campus (you don't have to cross a street, just walk up a few steps, to get from one to the other).  There's definitely a campus feel (in nice weather, everyone hangs out on the lawns, on Lowe Library's steps, etc), although the campus isn't a sprawling one with miles and miles of rolling hills.

Tetris

• Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 02:20:55 PM »
mmm while Columbia Law doesn't have it's own campus, it's actually part of Columbia U's campus (you don't have to cross a street, just walk up a few steps, to get from one to the other).  There's definitely a campus feel (in nice weather, everyone hangs out on the lawns, on Lowe Library's steps, etc), although the campus isn't a sprawling one with miles and miles of rolling hills.

Do any campuses have miles rolling hills? Can anyone vouch for Michigan's campus? What schools have the best campuses? I havent been anywhere so I have no clue myself.

Pam Beesly

• Oh, Jim.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 02:24:28 PM »
Do any campuses have miles rolling hills? Can anyone vouch for Michigan's campus? What schools have the best campuses? I havent been anywhere so I have no clue myself.
UCLA.  ;)

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 02:46:53 PM »
Well, Cornell has one (1) hill.  But, a whole lot of the campus is on the top of it...

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 02:52:39 PM »
Does Columbia Law have a campus? How's the community there?

Main campus of Columbia is from W114th St. up to about 122nd street, between Amsterdam on the east and Broadway on the west.  The law school is located at the corner of Amsterdam and 116th St.  Also on that block are law school apartments, journal offices, career services, and the public interest office. 

The community feeling is enhanced by the fact that Columbia guarantees housing to all of its law students for all three years, something which NYU does not do.  As a result, most students choose to live in this housing, much of which is located within a few blocks of the law building.  It also appears that most of W115th street, just south of the law building, is law student housing.

Also enhancing the community feel are the efforts made recently by the administration to make the building more user-friendly.  This includes comfy chairs and tables with many outlets so students can congregate in the lobby of the building.

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 03:34:21 PM »

Michigan doesn't have miles of rolling hills.  Except maybe the arboretum, which is sort of on the other side of campus from the law quad.  I like the setup at UM.  It's a big campus with all of the things you'd expect of a 20k+ UG campus.  They've got the law quad sort of tucked away in the SW(?) corner of campus, though, so I think you'd still feel separated from the UG students and buildings.  Though they'll walk past the outside to get to the stadium and to some of the bars/restaurants/stores on State St, there's really no reason for undergraduate students to wind up in the law quad.  So you reap the benefits when having things to do/see outside the law quad, but still get a secluded area primarily for law students.  My thoughts anyway. (sorry to get off topic...I'm blaming Tetris ;))