Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Re: UCLA Waitlist - AA Debate  (Read 20697 times)

theflyingmachine

• View Profile
Re: UCLA Waitlist - AA Debate
« Reply #100 on: January 18, 2008, 03:14:10 PM »
but then you went on to say that she was taking away a spot from a more qualified white student, did you not?  (and feel free to correct me if i'm misquoting you.  i'm doing this from memory.)

Yes.  Is that all?

well that's the part that people objected to: the assumption that there's a white student who's more qualified and who's losing a seat.  your assessment of who's more qualified simply differs from the NYU admissions office's assessment of who's more qualified.  and the latter is ultimately what matters, is it not?

Not only that, they seem to think I'm affluent as well.  It's perplexing.

perhaps they're confusing you with me.

Of course that's what matters.  Unless I'm an NYU adcomm who is secretly pissed that my fellow members decided to let her in.

Oh, wow. Now you're reeeeeally blowing my mind. I can't handle it. (I am an URM, you know.)

Have you noticed that no one has even acknowledged the little jokes you make?  Take a hint.

Pam Beesly

• Sr. Citizen
  • Oh, Jim.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #101 on: January 18, 2008, 03:18:01 PM »

Have you noticed that no one has even acknowledged the little jokes you make?  Take a hint.

You just did, genius.

theflyingmachine

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 18, 2008, 03:22:07 PM »
oh.  so you meant "how does it feel to be taking a seat from a white student whose LSAT/GPA combination is higher than yours"?

that's a little better. 

i still don't like the whole "taking a seat" language since the seats belong to the school and not the students and can be given away as the school pleases, but i'll let someone else argue that point.

Oh, wow. Now you're reeeeeally blowing my mind. I can't handle it. (I am an URM, you know.)

Have you noticed that no one has even acknowledged the little jokes you make?  Take a hint.

this amuses me.

She was beginning to annoy me, like a gnat that one can only ignore for so long before swatting.

I agree that it's not a perfect way to put it, but she likely beat out more than 100 white kids with objectively better numbers.  I think it's unfair that their hard work and dedication is ignored because of her skin color.

20+ Andrew Hill Albums

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 18, 2008, 03:25:34 PM »
Dear Ms. Beesly and Mr. Archibald,

The Flying Machine has not yet responded to my post (#98), but I see that he is responding to your posts, even though your posts come after #98.  This is totally unfair.  

Clearly, the only reason why he is responding to your posts instead of mine is because your posts are so short while mine is long.  I think this is a fair deduction to make.  I hope your brevity serves you well in law school and in the legal profession. [sarcasm]

How does it feel to know that the only reason for his responses is the length of your posts?  Do you think that is fair?  How dare you take advantage of the incredible opportunities he is offering you by conversing with you knowing that an earlier, more deserving post goes ignored?  

Unkind regards,

20+AHA

Pam Beesly

• Sr. Citizen
  • Oh, Jim.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #104 on: January 18, 2008, 03:27:35 PM »

I agree that it's not a perfect way to put it, but she likely beat out more than 100 white kids with objectively better numbers.  I think it's unfair that their hard work and dedication is ignored because of her skin color.

Are you back on this "color of skin" issue again?
I think it's been pointed out ad nauseum in this thread that homogeneity of background and perspective is not beneficial to any group. Adcomms look beyond numbers for people who can contribute more than a 4.0 in poli. sci. to classroom discussion.

theflyingmachine

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 18, 2008, 03:30:34 PM »
She was beginning to annoy me, like a gnat that one can only ignore for so long before swatting.

so you admit that you lashed out at her a bit?  :D

and again, i understand that you feel it's unfair.  but fair is subjective, and the majority of the NYU admissions committee disagrees with you on what's fair.  who's to say that you're right and they're wrong?

If you can't go on the internet to female dog about life being unfair, then what is the internet good for?

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 18, 2008, 03:45:27 PM »
oh.  so you meant "how does it feel to be taking a seat from a white student whose LSAT/GPA combination is higher than yours"?

that's a little better. 

i still don't like the whole "taking a seat" language since the seats belong to the school and not the students and can be given away as the school pleases, but i'll let someone else argue that point.

this amuses me.

And 10-20 white kids beat out Asian kids with objectively better numbers. And 10 skydivers  beat out non skydivers with objectively better numbers. And 10 poor kids beat out 10 rich kids with objectively better numbers. And 10 really really rich kids beat out 20 middle class kids with objectively better numbers.

The system is the way it is. In resource distribution, you make tough decisions on how to allocate those resources. You'd allocate those resources in a different way than most and that is ok. That is a valid opinion, one worth arguing and fighting for. What is despicable is calling out another poster, using faulty logic to undermine her success and then spending 10 pages trying to defend what are objectively pretty silly thoughts on your part.
YLS c/o 2009

theflyingmachine

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 18, 2008, 03:46:21 PM »

Are you back on this "color of skin" issue again?
I think it's been pointed out ad nauseum in this thread that homogeneity of background and perspective is not beneficial to any group. Adcomms look beyond numbers for people who can contribute more than a 4.0 in poli. sci. to classroom discussion.

I've never seen any evidence that pigment diversity increases the value of a classroom discussion.

theflyingmachine

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 18, 2008, 03:47:32 PM »
If you can't go on the internet to female dog about life being unfair, then what is the internet good for?

going after other people who are bitching about life being unfair with name-calling and sarcasm?

I am personally averse to name-calling because I find it immature and unnecessary.  However, it seems to be the primary way people on this board express frustation.

theflyingmachine

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 18, 2008, 03:50:03 PM »

that's a little better. 

this amuses me.

And 10-20 white kids beat out Asian kids with objectively better numbers. And 10 skydivers  beat out non skydivers with objectively better numbers. And 10 poor kids beat out 10 rich kids with objectively better numbers. And 10 really really rich kids beat out 20 middle class kids with objectively better numbers.

The system is the way it is. In resource distribution, you make tough decisions on how to allocate those resources. You'd allocate those resources in a different way than most and that is ok. That is a valid opinion, one worth arguing and fighting for. What is despicable is calling out another poster, using faulty logic to undermine her success and then spending 10 pages trying to defend what are objectively pretty silly thoughts on your part.

Unfortunately, none of those disparities are as easily quantifiable as the boost that URMs get in the application process.  Do skydivers automatically get 10+ points added on their LSAT?  I don't think so.  Do rich kids?  I don't think so.  Do blacks?   According to many respected admissions consultants they do.