Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Re: UCLA Waitlist - AA Debate  (Read 20480 times)

tkm.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: UCLA Waitlist
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2008, 11:45:33 PM »
perhaps she didn't want to get involved

theflyingmachine

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2008, 11:46:39 PM »
Then why did she post?

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2008, 11:51:04 PM »
If schools want to select their applicants arbitrarily, they're free to do so.  However, it's unfair that they should place such weight on GPA/LSAT combo for one portion of their applicants and not another.

170+ should absolutely have the best shot at Yale.  The LSAT is the best predictor we have for law school success.

And complaining about AA is the best predictor we have that someone is an insecure tool. 

I fail to see how desiring a greater emphasis on proven predictors for law school success and less emphasis on skin pigmentation makes me insecure.

They aren't proven predictors.  The LSAT has the best correlation we have to first-year success in law school, but it is still a poor correlation. 

Heart transplants are the best treatment for heart failure, but they don't work every time.  We should probably stop performing them.

Apples are red.  Oranges are orange.  We should probably learn to differentiate between the two.  Giving the LSAT to someone who needs a heart transplant probably won't save their life. 

Perhaps you missed my point.  Is there a better predictor for 1L success than the LSAT?

Perhaps you missed my point.  You said that LSAT and GPA are "proven predictors."  How accurate are they as predictors?  Not very.  Do we have a better system right now?  No.  Does that have anything to do with recognizing the value of diversity in a classroom setting?  No. 

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

Pam Beesly

• Sr. Citizen
  • Oh, Jim.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2008, 11:51:12 PM »
I don't want to get involved. I'm just reading and laughing. Oh TFM, maybe you should be studying for the LSAT so an URM with a 125 doesn't steal your spot.

theflyingmachine

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2008, 11:51:52 PM »
Miss Beesly, your GPA is quite good and your LSAT is at least above the 95th percentile. 

Why did you ignore my response to this statement?

Which statement? This^one? You're right, my numbers are decent enough, but don't forget my amazing ECs, LORs and PS.  ;)

No, my response to Ender's statement that you quoted.

I stated earlier in the thread that I have no issue with AA admits numbers-wise who have more to offer.  Since urMom was adversely decided upon by two lower ranked schools than NYU, it's likely she has little else to offer.

theflyingmachine

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2008, 11:53:12 PM »
Perhaps you missed my point.  You said that LSAT and GPA are "proven predictors."  How accurate are they as predictors?  Not very.  Do we have a better system right now?  No.  Does that have anything to do with recognizing the value of diversity in a classroom setting?  No. 

I do not understand your screwdrivers.

What kind of value does color diversity add to a classroom?

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2008, 11:53:49 PM »
Miss Beesly, your GPA is quite good and your LSAT is at least above the 95th percentile. 

Which statement? This^one? You're right, my numbers are decent enough, but don't forget my amazing ECs, LORs and PS.  ;)

I stated earlier in the thread that I have no issue with AA admits numbers-wise who have more to offer.  Since urMom was adversely decided upon by two lower ranked schools than NYU, it's likely she has little else to offer.

And since I was admitted to Michigan and Virginia but held at Notre Dame, UM and UVA must have had some ulterior motive.

LSN

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2008, 11:56:27 PM »

I do not understand your screwdrivers.

What kind of value does color diversity add to a classroom?

I thought they would give you comfort, since they are also tools. 

Spending time with people who are different from you is good for you.  Are you going to enjoy the same benefits from being in a classroom with everyone of a different race?  Of course not.  Is the LSAT a perfect predictor?  Of course not.  Why do you worship at the altar of the one imperfect system yet scorn the other?

LSN

Pam Beesly

• Sr. Citizen
  • Oh, Jim.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2008, 11:57:20 PM »
And since I was admitted to Michigan and Virginia but held at Notre Dame, UM and UVA must have had some ulterior motive.

Obviously! People with pet birds are URMs too, you know!

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2008, 11:57:44 PM »

I stated earlier in the thread that I have no issue with AA admits numbers-wise who have more to offer.  Since urMom was adversely decided upon by two lower ranked schools than NYU, it's likely she has little else to offer.

Are "holds" now equal to "rejections"?

Are "holds" equal to "acceptances?"

LSN