Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Re: UCLA Waitlist - AA Debate  (Read 19760 times)

RedNinja

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: UCLA Waitlist
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2008, 11:19:31 PM »
Haha, get over it dude. I'm sorry you were born white. It must be so difficult looking at the Congress, Supreme Court, or Board of Directors of any major company and finding so few white people to identify with. It must have been so difficult during History class learning about 43 US presidents, none of whom you could identify with.

How about opening your eyes and recognizing the white PRIVILEGE you were born with and have been shielded by your entire life? I did it a long time ago, you should to.

theflyingmachine

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2008, 11:20:00 PM »
If schools want to select their applicants arbitrarily, they're free to do so.  However, it's unfair that they should place such weight on GPA/LSAT combo for one portion of their applicants and not another.

170+ should absolutely have the best shot at Yale.  The LSAT is the best predictor we have for law school success.

And complaining about AA is the best predictor we have that someone is an insecure tool. 

I fail to see how desiring a greater emphasis on proven predictors for law school success and less emphasis on skin pigmentation makes me insecure.

sunglee

• Dash your curry like you not in a hurry
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2008, 11:20:15 PM »
If schools want to select their applicants arbitrarily, they're free to do so.  However, it's unfair that they should place such weight on GPA/LSAT combo for one portion of their applicants and not another.

170+ should absolutely have the best shot at Yale.  The LSAT is the best predictor we have for law school success.

And complaining about AA is the best predictor we have that someone is an insecure tool. 
[/quote

...says the person with great numbers
no-body expects the Spanish inquisition

theflyingmachine

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2008, 11:22:29 PM »
Haha, get over it dude. I'm sorry you were born white. It must be so difficult looking at the Congress, Supreme Court, or Board of Directors of any major company and finding so few white people to identify with. It must have been so difficult during History class learning about 43 US presidents, none of whom you could identify with.

How about opening your eyes and recognizing the white PRIVILEGE you were born with and have been shielded by your entire life? I did it a long time ago, you should to.

You can only identify with people the same skin color as you?  Is that a law?  *&^%, I guess I shouldn't have looked up to any black athletes.

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2008, 11:33:19 PM »

I fail to see how desiring a greater emphasis on proven predictors for law school success and less emphasis on skin pigmentation makes me insecure.

They aren't proven predictors.  The LSAT has the best correlation we have to first-year success in law school, but it is still a poor correlation. 

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

theflyingmachine

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2008, 11:34:50 PM »

They aren't proven predictors.  The LSAT has the best correlation we have to first-year success in law school, but it is still a poor correlation. 

Heart transplants are the best treatment for heart failure, but they don't work every time.  We should probably stop performing them.

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2008, 11:38:31 PM »

Heart transplants are the best treatment for heart failure, but they don't work every time.  We should probably stop performing them.

Apples are red.  Oranges are orange.  We should probably learn to differentiate between the two.  Giving the LSAT to someone who needs a heart transplant probably won't save their life. 

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

theflyingmachine

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2008, 11:42:07 PM »

Apples are red.  Oranges are orange.  We should probably learn to differentiate between the two.  Giving the LSAT to someone who needs a heart transplant probably won't save their life. 

Perhaps you missed my point.  Is there a better predictor for 1L success than the LSAT?

Pam Beesly

• Sr. Citizen
  • Oh, Jim.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2008, 11:42:57 PM »

Testify!

theflyingmachine

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2008, 11:44:10 PM »

Testify!

Miss Beesly, your GPA is quite good and your LSAT is at least above the 95th percentile. 

Why did you ignore my response to this statement?