Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Re: UCLA Waitlist - AA Debate  (Read 20520 times)

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: UCLA Waitlist
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 10:33:05 PM »
Just got the waitlist letter. I'm a little disappointed.

sorry Mom...but NYU!!  come ON!!  cheer up!

Oh, I'm not feeling too down. I'm so relieved I got into NYU early, it really is making the rest of my cycle much less stressful.

*reads NYU acceptance letter again*

You were accepted at NYU but rejected at Michigan and waitlisted at UCLA?

Does the fact that it's a clear AA admit make you feel like less of a person?

Not really.

Good.  It shouldn't bother you that more qualified white folk are out of luck because NYU needed to fill a quota.

I have no issues with URMs with fascinating soft factors who are accepted, but you clearly had little else to offer with your application if the schools prohibited from using blatant AA couldn't find room for you.

Race war!

I see that you are unable to formulate a coherent response of more than two words.  Perhaps this was evident in your application package.

Hopefully law school will help you overcome this aversion, as intelligence and verbosity are important in the legal profession.

I guess you don't watch South Park.

I spend my time studying the intricacies of the LSAT so I can break 170 and get into a top law school on my own merit.  I see cable has rotted your brain.

Listen, honeychild, you've just moved to a whole NEW level of ridiculousness.  I hope you enjoy the terrible LSAT karma you've got coming to you.
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

theflyingmachine

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 10:36:03 PM »
It's ridiculous to want to get into a school based on merit?  Why?

Good thing karma isn't a real thing.  Otherwise I'd be really scared.

sunglee

• Dash your curry like you not in a hurry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 10:46:12 PM »
why does this race convo always come up. It always seems like some non-URM gets pissed that an URM gets into a school that he/she does not. Maybe you should try to change the socio-economic system of America, that DOES disadvantage URM is many ways.

I think when the system does get transformed, then there can be equality in who gets admitted or not.
no-body expects the Spanish inquisition

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 10:47:26 PM »
why does this race convo always come up. It always seems like some non-URM gets pissed that an URM gets into a school that he/she does not. Maybe you should try to change the socio-economic system of America, that DOES disadvantage URM is many ways.

I think when the system does get transformed, then there can be equality in who gets admitted or not.

Race war is easier?

:P

theflyingmachine

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 10:49:51 PM »
As I said, I have no issues with URMs who are AA admits numbers-wise but have other interesting factors.  If urMom had other interesting factors, she would have fared better at Michigan and UCLA.  Michigan particularly, since it's notorious for letting in interesting applicants even if they have iffy numbers.

I can't change the socio-economic system in any appreciable way.  So I complain.

Personally, I would feel that my accomplishments were being denigrated if I were admitted to a school based on the color of my skin.

sunglee

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2008, 10:59:57 PM »
As I said, I have no issues with URMs who are AA admits numbers-wise but have other interesting factors.  If urMom had other interesting factors, she would have fared better at Michigan and UCLA.  Michigan particularly, since it's notorious for letting in interesting applicants even if they have iffy numbers.

I can't change the socio-economic system in any appreciable way.  So I complain.

Personally, I would feel that my accomplishments were being denigrated if I were admitted to a school based on the color of my skin.

I half agree with you...but the fact is throughout American History the "color of skin" has meant so much...and getting into a particular law school or undergrad. is nothing compared to the impact/disadvantages that a person with darker skin has endured.

theflyingmachine

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2008, 11:02:30 PM »

I half agree with you...but the fact is throughout American History the "color of skin" has meant so much...and getting into a particular law school or undergrad. is nothing compared to the impact/disadvantages that a person with darker skin has endured.

Disadvantages can't be assumed merely by color of skin.  Herein lies the problem with AA.  This is a perfect example of how NYU (likely) considered nothing but urMom's heritage in her acceptance.

sunglee

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2008, 11:10:31 PM »
hhah "heritage line"=  race. BTW what is wrong with that, people have done it for years to keep URM away from places, now they are merely trying to right the wrongs...And she does have a 164, which is not like a 155.

Anyways, I could care less..if law schools want to admit peeps based on race, or LSAT, or GPA...none of these modes are fair, but hey, they have to do it some how.

I've argued earlier that the manner in which ppl get admitted is unfair, but what exactly is fair. I don't think that ppl with a 170 or higher should overwhelming get into yale, but they do, and so on and so forth....

theflyingmachine

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2008, 11:15:03 PM »
If schools want to select their applicants arbitrarily, they're free to do so.  However, it's unfair that they should place such weight on GPA/LSAT combo for one portion of their applicants and not another.

170+ should absolutely have the best shot at Yale.  The LSAT is the best predictor we have for law school success.

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2008, 11:18:01 PM »
If schools want to select their applicants arbitrarily, they're free to do so.  However, it's unfair that they should place such weight on GPA/LSAT combo for one portion of their applicants and not another.

170+ should absolutely have the best shot at Yale.  The LSAT is the best predictor we have for law school success.

And complaining about AA is the best predictor we have that someone is an insecure tool. 

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011