Law School Discussion

Can a law school rescind an acceptance for bombing an LSAT re-take?

I have been accepted to some decent law schools. While I have not heard back from everyone, I am taking an LSAT re-take in February to "bolster" my chances at a few schools, with a nothing to lose mindset. I also feel like I could maybe get some more scholarship money if I perform well. That being said, I have been completely inconsistent and fear that on test day I could possibly bomb the test. If I were to bomb the test, could schools potentially take away their acceptances? I know about higher score, but still.

ghil04

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Can a law school rescind an acceptance for bombing an LSAT re-take?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 01:17:45 AM »
Nope, almost 100% certain that they won't rescind based on a new LSAT score.  If you think about it, most schools only report out their admitted students' highest LSAT scores, not their averages (this is the case even if their applicants' LSAT scores are averaged when being reviewed).  I don't see how getting anything less than your highest score (let alone a 120) could hurt you or the school, so I think you should be safe. 

Matthew

• Formerly known as /\_-=-M-=-_/\
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 03:48:34 AM »
I don't think they'd do it simply because most schools (Cooley notwithstanding) will admit to putting that much weight on a number.

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 04:59:19 AM »
This is over a year old, but lists what schools do with multiple LSAT scores: http://www.deloggio.com/academic/twolsat.htm

If you are concerned with a school pulling your acceptance, call them and ask.  It seems unlikely.  If you bomb the test, you can always cancel your score, unless you do not know when you perform poorly.

TallisUmbras

• The Doors of Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 09:04:34 AM »
Definitely call and ask. I was considering re-taking the test in December and essentially was worried about the same thing. The schools I contacted told me that unless I dropped significantly (that being up to their judgment of course)they would not rescind an acceptance.