Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Let's rank the best law schools by region (based on our opinions, not USNWR)...  (Read 11360 times)

Bosox

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I don't agree that BU should be seen as anything less than BC, but unfortunately this kid's (horribly immature) response is held by an unfortunately large number of Bostonian lawyers. Boston is an odd town and the old boys network for BC is strong, which is the only way I can think of why local attorneys and firms still consider BC at such a higher level than BU. It hurts us in recruiting, which is unfortunate. I hope our school will establish a stronger alumni network to compete with this Boston mentality. (I still got this when I did some recruiting at firms in other markets. One guy asked me how our football team was and after telling him we didn't have one, he seemed visibly upsete he was interviewing a BU student rather than a BC student. That was a pretty bad day, but I lived. haha.)

Regardless, BU is becoming more prominent in local firms, but we do have some work to do to compete with that OTHER school on comm ave.

dullashell

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I obviously disagree, having gone through a round of recruiting myself. 

radiotank

• View Profile
I don't agree that BU should be seen as anything less than BC, but unfortunately this kid's (horribly immature) response is held by an unfortunately large number of Bostonian lawyers. Boston is an odd town and the old boys network for BC is strong, which is the only way I can think of why local attorneys and firms still consider BC at such a higher level than BU. It hurts us in recruiting, which is unfortunate. I hope our school will establish a stronger alumni network to compete with this Boston mentality. (I still got this when I did some recruiting at firms in other markets. One guy asked me how our football team was and after telling him we didn't have one, he seemed visibly upsete he was interviewing a BU student rather than a BC student. That was a pretty bad day, but I lived. haha.)

Regardless, BU is becoming more prominent in local firms, but we do have some work to do to compete with that OTHER school on comm ave.

Not sure who you are calling immature (I would imagine it isn't me, given that I wasn't the one who called someone retarded and told them they have no right to an opinion different from mine), but either way, you basically agreed with exactly what I wrote, that the Boston viewpoint is that BC well above BU and that very, very few people who know Boston would pick BU over BC. I said nothing about BU being a bad school, I think it's good, I just said that BC is considered better. Someone else (not you) took that way too sensitively.

sinkfloridasink

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
I'll try to rescue this thread by giving another ranking of the South. My criteria is how grads place "overall" in Southern markets (not just their home states). T14 is excluded. I'll probably miss one or two, as well.

1) Vandy
2) Emory

3) W&L
4) W&M

5) Tulane
6) Georgia
7) Alabama
8) Florida

9) Tennessee
10) Kentucky
11) Mississippi
12) S. Carolina
Tulane c/o 2011

tankbrain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
As a (semi)Southerner, I thought I would take a stab at this:

1. Texas
2. Vandy
3. W&L
4. William and Mary
5. Emory
6. Tulane
7. Georgia
8. Alabama
9. Florida

...I don't know about the rest
LSAT: 165
GPA:  3.4

dennycrane

• Sr. Citizen
  • My Hero
    • View Profile
I am curious as to why everyone, well almost everyone, on this board places W&L higher than Emory in the south. If you look at Atlanta [the largest city and undoubtedly the legal and financial hub of the south], W&L only placed FOUR students in Georgia and I am assuming that all of them went to Atlanta. Furthermore, if you look at the amount of students that W&L placed in southern states, it of course placed the most in Virginia [which I assume the majority went NE VA, i.e. DC - which is NOT the south], but outside of that, Florida was the next best with 6 students. Perhaps I do not understand the idea behind this thread, but are we not ranking the best schools in the south and shouldnt placement within the south be the MAIN factor? All of you 0Ls don't know yet, but where your law school places the most students becomes very important when you are looking for jobs. Therefore, I think W&L should enjoy a higher ranking than Emory in the Mid Atlantic region, but not in the south.
Emory 3L.

Alecto

• Sr. Citizen
  • Class of 2011
    • AOL Instant Messenger - oceangirlUGA
    • View Profile
I don't have any rankings info to offer but I am really curious to know how the prestige of a school plays into later job-placement v. how well you distinguish yourself at a school.  I'm applying to schools based on financial concerns and location, not prestige.  I want to go into environmental law / bioethics, maybe consider health law.  My goals DO NOT include working in "big law."  Any thoughts?

nhutchin

• View Profile
    • Email
How about California (it's basically its own region anyway):
1. Stanford
2. Berkeley
3. UCLA
4. USC
5. Hastings
6. Davis
7. Loyola
8. USD
9. Santa Clara
10. USF
11. McGeorge

I don't know if it was intentional to leave out Pepperdine, but if it was I am curious to know why.  I personally think that Pepperdine is very seriously underrated.  I think it has improved significantly over the last few years and that it will continue to go up.

Anyway here is my list for California

1.Stanford
2.Berkley
3.UCLA
4.USC
5.Pepperdine
6.Hastings
7.Davis
8.Loyola
9.USD
10.Southwestern

m. esquandolas

• View Profile
I'll try to rescue this thread by giving another ranking of the South. My criteria is how grads place "overall" in Southern markets (not just their home states). T14 is excluded. I'll probably miss one or two, as well.

1) Vandy
2) Emory

3) W&L
4) UNC-- W&M

5) Tulane
6) Georgia
7) Alabama
8) Florida

sinkfloridasink

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email

1) Vandy
2) Emory

3) W&L
4) UNC-- W&M
4b) Wake

5) Tulane
6) Georgia
7) Alabama
8) Florida

I told you I'd probably forget a few.
Tulane c/o 2011