Law School Discussion

Life After T4

Re: Life After T4
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 09:25:44 PM »
If you want to be lawyer, want the intellectual challenge, a new field of work, ect, than a T4 is fine.  If you are interested in money and prestige, it is a bad idea.  Granted, even if you are not after the money, you will have loans. Subject your yearly loan payment from 40k and see if you'd be happy being a lawyer making the much money.  End of story.

Your statements sum up the feelings of this board. Go to a T4 and earn the pay of an undergrad.
Thank you for your candor.  What amazes me is that people are lining up to get into a T4ís. Cooley has people, UDC has people and they are on rolling probation.  Working in BL over the years has shown much truth to these claims, however, time after time, I will come across a seasoned associate who has graduated from a T4.  They stand for the hope for those who work hard and beat the odds to get into the BL.

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 09:31:21 PM »
A lot of people go to these schools because they don't realize the legal market and usually, have an undergrad degree that is worthless.  Some people go because they don't care/ don't need to care about the money.  It is possible to make biglaw from a T4, but I'd probably spend the money on scratch off lottery tickets instead.  Ending up at the top of your class is not only hard work - a lot of luck is involved.

bloomlaw

• Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 10:01:38 PM »
Local government (prolly around 30k-40k) in that area or non-legal work.  Unless you are independently wealthy, you will be making less after loans than if you didn't go to law school.

Edit:  Correction, you will still be making less, but you won't care.

I live in Erie, Pa.. a city of around 100,000 people.. One of the partners at one of the bigger firms went to Cooley.. was top 10% in his class, and is doing EXTREMELY well for himself

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 10:10:33 PM »
I know a president, he got straight C's at Yale.  Therefore if you go to Yale and get C's, you will be President.

Local government (prolly around 30k-40k) in that area or non-legal work.  Unless you are independently wealthy, you will be making less after loans than if you didn't go to law school.

I live in Erie, Pa.. a city of around 100,000 people.. One of the partners at one of the bigger firms went to Cooley.. was top 10% in his class, and is doing EXTREMELY well for himself

bloomlaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 10:16:03 PM »
I know a president, he got straight C's at Yale.  Therefore if you go to Yale and get C's, you will be President.

I didn't realize that my providing evidence which contradicts the general consensus on here about Cooley and T4 and which contradicted your statement about income directly, proves that my example, although he is definitely not the typical Cooley grad, somehow violated the sufficient/necessary logical connection.

?

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2008, 10:19:05 PM »
Because the general consensus is right.  If someone asks you what to expect as a Cooley Grad, you don't respond by saying "my friend Bob is a Cooley grad and he is a partner at Wachtell."

I didn't realize that my providing evidence which contradicts the general consensus on here about Cooley and T4 and which contradicted your statement about income directly, proves that my example, although he is definitely not the typical Cooley grad, somehow violated the sufficient/necessary logical connection.

?

bloomlaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2008, 10:24:04 PM »
Because the general consensus is right.  If someone asks you what to expect as a Cooley Grad, you don't respond by saying "my friend Bob is a Cooley grad and he is a partner at Wachtell."

I would say the odds suck big time, and i wouldn't advise it, but if you work your butt off and do extremely well.. top 10%.. and work your butt off after LS, there's a chance you can make it.

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2008, 10:27:19 PM »
Dood, you don't realize how much luck, good timing, and reputation/prestige is involved.  Whether you like it or not, hard work is not enough coming from a T4

I would say the odds suck big time, and i wouldn't advise it, but if you work your butt off and do extremely well.. top 10%.. and work your butt off after LS, there's a chance you can make it.

bloomlaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2008, 10:30:19 PM »

I agree with Amy.  I mean, I could still make the NFL as a walk-on free agent if I work really hard for the next few years, but . . . it's unlikely.  Best not to mention these types of possibilities.

The odds of a t4 grad making it as a lawyer are infinitely better than an average person walking off the street, with no football experience, and making a football team. If you want to stick to a football analogy, the NFL will give a chance to anyone from any college team, as long as they think the kid has the ability to do it. Cooley isn't the same way, however. But a brilliant Cooley lawyer will do better on the job in the long run than an inept Yale graduate.  

bloomlaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2008, 10:31:59 PM »
Dood, you don't realize how much luck, good timing, and reputation/prestige is involved.  Whether you like it or not, hard work is not enough coming from a T4

Point out where I did say that "hard work is enough"...

Did you struggle in logical reasoning on sufficient/necessary questions?because you've used that type of logic twice, incorrectly.