Law School Discussion

Life After T4

Life After T4
« on: January 16, 2008, 06:54:58 PM »
Hello Everyone,

What is life for someone who graduates from a tier 4 school?  Was it worth the time or investment, or has the propaganda gotten so rampant that life after a tier 4 is no different than any other jurisprudence institution.   

Re: Life After T4
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 07:27:21 PM »
If your aspiration is Biglaw (money) than it sucks.  I can provide a more detailed analysis if you provide the school and amount in loans (i.e. will you be happy with your take-home pay).

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 07:36:46 PM »
If your aspiration is Biglaw (money) than it sucks.  I can provide a more detailed analysis if you provide the school and amount in loans (i.e. will you be happy with your take-home pay).

Well, lets begin with Thomas S. Cooley Law.  30% in grants.  After graduation where does one go for employment?

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 07:53:56 PM »
Local government (prolly around 30k-40k) in that area or non-legal work.  Unless you are independently wealthy, you will be making less after loans than if you didn't go to law school.

Edit:  Correction, you will still be making less, but you won't care.

wtracing

• Roll Angry Wave!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 08:14:20 PM »
I would say its rough, but I do have a friend who is attending to California Western Law School and seems to be doing allright. Not sure of her placement, but she works very hard so i am sure its good. She did research with her professor 1L summer and has a medium law 2L summer gig in place for June.  She said very few get big law (her dream is to work for Jones Day and be a SCOTUS Judge..) but seems happy. She's there on full ride at least, but I think if she was paying would be a lot more stressed. She's looking at about 75-90K with the few firms she has developed ties with during her year and a half there thus far.  But once again, I imagine she's near the top of the class, if you were at median or worse...I imagine its not good. If you really believe that you can finish at the top, maybe go for it. Try for a scholarship, if not, maybe think about it a bit more deeply.

I just looked at the rest of the post - she thinks they're fudging some data in the sense that only the top people are reporting their salaries to Cal Western and of course every school uses "propaganda" I mean they are selling a product - legal education and its not cheap. They have to make it seem respected etc.

The only reason she decided on Cal Western was to be in sunny california, she had offers at T3 and a few low T2's in the midwest with no money. She does not regret her decision, but personally, I'd of gone with the higher rankings, 25-50 isn't a big difference, but 100-T4 is.

t...

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 08:23:37 PM »
Move to a small town, open up your own practice, go golf every day at 2, and make 70K a year.

Seriously.

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 08:37:43 PM »
If I decide to go, I would likely enroll as a PT.  By going in as a PT, I would graduate in my mid 30's.  I have heard that PT's are allowed more lenency when it comes to the admission process, is this true?   

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 08:41:36 PM »
I'm not sure any school would admit that, but it seems to be the case.  Why are you going to law school in your mid-30's; what is your goal?  We could give you what to expect if you let us know.

If I decide to go, I would likely enroll as a PT.  By going in as a PT, I would graduate in my mid 30's.  I have heard that PT's are allowed more lenency when it comes to the admission process, is this true?   

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 09:07:54 PM »
I'm not sure any school would admit that, but it seems to be the case.  Why are you going to law school in your mid-30's; what is your goal?  We could give you what to expect if you let us know.

My goal is to succeed in providing a substantial piece of mind to myself.  For years, I have been employed in the legal field as a paralegal.  This position has taught me many things such as job security and career development.  I do not deny any illusions in today's competitive economy.  One day, I will be replaced with a younger, more cost effective busy body so now is the time to move onto a graduate level platform.  Whether I choose   law or another field, I hold myself back by not acting.  I realize piece of mind can be obtained without a degree; however, I am motivated to better my life through education with an emphasis on providing a better life for those around me.  

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 09:12:31 PM »
If you want to be lawyer, want the intellectual challenge, a new field of work, ect, than a T4 is fine.  If you are interested in money and prestige, it is a bad idea.  Granted, even if you are not after the money, you will have loans. Subject your yearly loan payment from 40k and see if you'd be happy being a lawyer making the much money.  End of story.