Law School Discussion

Mac laptop or PC for law school?

• View Profile
Mac laptop or PC for law school?
« on: January 16, 2008, 03:59:33 PM »
I know very little about computers, but I was thinking about getting a Mac instead of a PC for my law school laptop. Does anyone with a higher computer IQ (ie. pretty much everyone) have an opinion on this? If you wouldn't buy a Mac what specifications on your PC would you get?

Re: Mac laptop or PC for law school?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 04:25:10 PM »
I can't imagine a law school having a computer system not being Mac-compatible, especially with the advances Apple has made in making Macs more compatible with PC stuff. That being said, I agree that you should wait until you know where you're going, just in case I'm wrong.

As for specs, it depends what you're doing with it. Unless you're a hard core gamer, photographer, or graphicas designer, I would think that 2GB RAM, 1.6GHz+ CPU, 80GB hard drive should be more than adequate for internet, word processing, etc. (if not overkill...I like to make sure my computer stays fast for awhile before becoming obsolete). Get whatever screen size you're comfortable with (13.3" is a very portable size, while the 15" widescreens are nice if you're planning on watching alot of movies).

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 04:52:14 PM »
I would just like to suggest looking at the Dell Vostro.  I originally got a nice HP laptop for xmas but the fan was really loud and i couldn't imagine sitting in a class with it humming like it did.  The Vostro is part of Dell's small business line and the specs are great for the price. I am really happy with it. B/C it's geared to businesses, they obviously didn't care as much about making the shell fancy or anything, but if you don't care about a fancy shell, it's a good deal and I've been happy so far. You're also able to customize with XP which i did rather than deal with Vista.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 06:08:25 PM »
I heard Macs do not get viruses though, and that they do not slow down as much when you add programs on to them??? Why I mention this is I can imagine getting a virus right in the middle of law school and losing all my stuff. My toshiba laptop (which has for the most part been great) recently got a virus that corrupted the anti virus program and then nearly made everything stop working. I had it professionally removed, but if something like that happened during finals, it would have been a disaster...knowing that nothing like that could happen with a Mac would make me want to buy one as long as it is compatible with law school.

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 06:16:16 PM »
Listen here people. Macs do have their problems. Right now, PCs can be made by anyone, while MACs are only made by Apple. Apple makes the software and the hardware, so they are more stable, but the reason it seems like PCs break down all the time is because there are so many more PCs in the market than Macs. Macs are like a max 15% of all computers.

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 07:30:38 PM »
My brother got a MAC and he tells everyone how much of a great buy it is. And it's not just that they make up a smaller percentage of all computers; most all virus are tailored for PCs, so the number of viruses out there that are compatible with MACs is very small. Hence less virus issues.

I would get one if the software the LS requires is MAC compatible. So definitely wait till you know where you are going.

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 07:33:07 PM »
Yea, but the reason viruses are made for PCs is because they have a bigger market share. So while it is true there will be less of a virus problem with a Mac, just know that it is not because it's better. If more people had a reason to write viruses for Macs, they would.

wtracing

• Roll Angry Wave!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 09:18:05 PM »
With the new Intel Mac's one can install windows onto a partitioned hard drive.  I personally have a Mac and plan to do this; however, if you're already accepted you might get in touch with the school's IT Department before dropping 1800 on the new Mac Air that was released  ;) I prefer Mac overall, however, Word was a little odd on Macs. However, I hear there will be a new release of Word that is supposed to load faster and work better within the Mac environment.

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 09:58:17 PM »
I'm checking with the law school, but if it is compatible I'm getting a Mac...I think the Mac Air is too thin though. Law books break things that thin.

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 11:06:29 PM »
I heard Macs do not get viruses though, and that they do not slow down as much when you add programs on to them??? Why I mention this is I can imagine getting a virus right in the middle of law school and losing all my stuff. My Toshiba laptop (which has for the most part been great) recently got a virus that corrupted the anti virus program and then nearly made everything stop working. I had it professionally removed, but if something like that happened during finals, it would have been a disaster...knowing that nothing like that could happen with a Mac would make me want to buy one as long as it is compatible with law school.

Don't ask for advice and then argue with it - it's ill-mannered. If you're really concerned about the corruptibility of PCs, learn how to build your own computer or at least reformat your hard drive so that if you are again compromised you can fix it yourself. No big whoop.

What great advice...telling the OP to learn how to build a laptop between now and law school...give me break. Buy a Mac.