Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hi...Newbie with intro  (Read 2809 times)

faith08

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi...Newbie with intro
« on: January 16, 2008, 12:22:25 AM »
Hello everyone,

I would like to thank you all in advance for your advice.

I am a 41 yo single mommy to a 7 yo.  :)  I completed a BS in Criminal Justice with a 3.0 GPA and a M.Ed. with a 3.7 GPA (I have at least two courses to complete).  I have worked in the legal field for over 5+ years and decided to teach (4 years) after the birth of my little angel. I also have a real estate license.  I no longer desire to teach in the class and would like to tackle educational policies. 

I have always wanted to attend law school from the age of 10. I had dreams of becoming a juvenile court judge.  Well, life decisions took me on another path and here I am contemplating law school. I keep asking myself if I am to old?  Will I be able to handle the course load?  Debt?  Family time?  Is John Marshall a decent school? I have no social life so that's not a problem.  I do have plenty of family support and encouragement (there are 5 attorneys in my family).   

I am able to work part-time or not at all while in law school.  I would hate to be 75 yo and look back at my life and say....what if?  I know that statement may sound like "well, there's your answer" however.....I keep going back to my questions above.

I just feel stuck because I want to make the right decision for myself and provide a better life for my family. The areas of law I am interested in is: educational law, real estate, and family.

ALL advice is appreciated.  Don't spare my feelings...I NEED to hear the truth.

Thanks again.

I would like to eventually teach at a University

Oldguy48

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hi...Newbie with intro
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 08:36:31 AM »
As a 48 year old with a wife and three kids I am in a similar situation except that I will have to work full time while going to school.  My oldest daughter is set to start college at the same time and have no conceivable clue as to how we will be able to hold up under the blizzard of debt that this may engender.  My advice to you is to proceed forward-- take the tests  fill out the apps.  There will be days that you feel "this will never work," and days when you feel, "I can do this," but the most telling comment for me in your post was that you don't want to get to be 75 and wonder "what if?"  I spent 20+ years believing it was not possible to finish my BA degree and when I finally (with much support) did begin the process I found it so much easier than I ever imagined that I was a little wistful that I hadn't done it sooner.  Begin at the beginning, worry less right now about how you will handle the work, your life, the finances and concentrate on how you will ever get a handle on logic games.

good luck

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 12:46:36 PM »
Thank you so very much for your responses.  Your advice and stories a wonderful words of encouragement and determination.  I will proceed with the LSAT preparation and law school reviews.  I've been researching John Marshall and Depaul.  Basically within my tuition range and close to home. It'll all come together.  I'll just take one step and one day at a time and press forward without fear. 

Also, would my 3.0 (BS) and 3.7 (M.Ed) GPA in addition to 9+ years work experience as a paralegal/legal asst. and teacher get me into law school (with a LSAT of 150-155). I'm not claiming a 150-155, I'm just trying to get an idea if my GPA and work experience will help if I scored low.

Thanks everyone. 

Family support is really a make or break. Law school will absorb vast amounts of your time; worse, vast amounts of your energy. I'd recommend part-time if you wish to maintain a meaningful relationship with your angel. Perhaps you could wait till your child finishes school? Note how difficult the previous poster indicated it was on his family.

I earned my JD from DePaul, if you have an specific questions. I work in PI 1hr from Chitown.
Freak is the best, Freak is the best!  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I don't like calling you Freak, I'd rather call you  Normal Nice Guy.

BoRNnTHeUSA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 06:37:30 PM »
Faith08, once you've registered with LSDAS you will need to submit all transcripts from every college/university that you have attended.  This may lower your degree GPA and if it does, your LSAT score will make a significant difference.  Unfortunately, most schools do not consider the Masters GPA.  While many schools will profess to look at the whole applicant, they often only weigh the CGPA and LSAT score.  With all that being said, don't rush your LSAT.  If you're considering next cycle, take your time in prepping and go for June '08.  This board is full of helpful information and people are always willing to share.
"I believe that what self-centered men have torn down, other-centered men can build up." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 11:37:10 AM »
My objective for attending law school is my strong desire to work toward improving educational policies (specifically early childhood), fair housing and teach at the University level.  I'd like to use my teaching and real estate license in another capacity to help others. 

Going to law school has always been something I desired as a child.  Becoming a judge was a big dream when I was a child however it is something that I would not pursue in the future. My life took a turn (for the ok...not better) and I believe I can still attend law school and take my skills with a JD and do wonders.  Wonders according to my standards. If I can help only a few, if not many, I would be happy knowing I took my gifts and did what God positioned me to do  :)  Thanks!

It looks like you should attend an inexpensive public university to avoid the debt which will force you to take higher paid, private positions. Either that or obtain multiple scholarships.

If you wish to improve education, you need to become active politically - which doesn't require a JD. That means you write your representatives and travel to Springfield & attend hearings on bills. Get to know your Alderman & precinct committee person - they'll put you in touch with legislators. You need to attend special events & network.

You apply for grants to pursue political objectives etc...

duderancher

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 01:12:52 PM »
Good luck to you, however you proceed.  I am a 48 year old single parent of a 14 year old girl.  I have been working in a job that I didn't like (but paid well) for several years and decided this spring to attend law school. FYI, I am having the hardest time now than at anytime since my decision.  I have 10 applications in with most complete and now there is nothing for me to do but wait.  While I was preparing for the LSAT, writing personal statements, and addendums, filling out apps. etc....I was feeling very positive about it all.  Now that I have done all that I can do and just have to wait,I have had all sorts of self-doubt and anxiety primarily due to the sacrifices that my daughter will have to make while our income goes to next-to-nothing for a few years.  I am actually handling it a little better lately but I realize that I didn't think through the "loss of income while attending law school" part as well as I could have.  It's easy to get caught up in the getting accepted game but that is really the easy part. There are the actual attending and paying for it, and the impact on others parts to consider.

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 09:28:29 AM »
Good luck to you, however you proceed.  I am a 48 year old single parent of a 14 year old girl.  I have been working in a job that I didn't like (but paid well) for several years and decided this spring to attend law school. FYI, I am having the hardest time now than at anytime since my decision.  I have 10 applications in with most complete and now there is nothing for me to do but wait.  While I was preparing for the LSAT, writing personal statements, and addendums, filling out apps. etc....I was feeling very positive about it all.  Now that I have done all that I can do and just have to wait,I have had all sorts of self-doubt and anxiety primarily due to the sacrifices that my daughter will have to make while our income goes to next-to-nothing for a few years.  I am actually handling it a little better lately but I realize that I didn't think through the "loss of income while attending law school" part as well as I could have.  It's easy to get caught up in the getting accepted game but that is really the easy part. There are the actual attending and paying for it, and the impact on others parts to consider.

Don't forget the "finding a position afterwards" part...I know several students who attended DePaul, John Marshall, & NIU who have no position. And don't forget about the BAR exam....

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 02:03:54 PM »
My objective for attending law school is my strong desire to work toward improving educational policies (specifically early childhood), fair housing and teach at the University level.  I'd like to use my teaching and real estate license in another capacity to help others. 

You might conider part-time law school and using your RE lic to make money during the day. That is sort of what I do. Property management is a decent duyring law school job, and often includes free rent. I managan ge my own properties for the most part, but I pay anouther realtor to do the local stuff for me that I can;t do long ditacne (show units, turn units, vet the leasors etc.)

vet as in evict? lol

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 04:27:59 PM »

You might conider part-time law school and using your RE lic to make money during the day. That is sort of what I do. Property management is a decent duyring law school job, and often includes free rent. I managan ge my own properties for the most part, but I pay anouther realtor to do the local stuff for me that I can;t do long ditacne (show units, turn units, vet the leasors etc.)

vet as in evict? lol

Of course

<--- has house full of electronic equitment that used to belong to renters who did not pay on time :)

I'll bet Prairie State Legal Assistance has a file on you.  :o

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 05:38:02 PM »

vet as in evict? lol

Of course

<--- has house full of electronic equitment that used to belong to renters who did not pay on time :)

I'll bet Prairie State Legal Assistance has a file on you.  :o

Voted Slumlord of the year 97,98, 2000, 2001 and 2003.

Let me guess: you were in-between properties in 2002?