Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cornell 1L taking questions  (Read 14605 times)

KidA23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Cornell 1L taking questions
« Reply #110 on: March 18, 2008, 09:46:42 AM »
Acceptance Tuesday tomorrow! Yikes

Good luck!

PS anyone here planning on going up for ASD next Friday (3/28)?

abbygal0330

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 18, 2008, 10:46:22 AM »

What is Acceptance Tuesday?? Has today historically turned out a lot of acceptances??
Harvard Law 2011

fsohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #112 on: March 19, 2008, 09:54:55 PM »

Good luck!

I plan on making the 12-15ish hour drive from Chicago.

Also, this might be a horridly ignorant question, but how did you go about putting a deposit down on an apartment while you were living outside of Cornell?  For that matter, did you feel comfortable signing a lease without seeing the place?  I've been living with the parents since the end of junior year after coming back from study abroad, so I'm a little out of the whole apartment-search thing.

Also, how do you budget?  Does the Bursar just send you a big fat refund check, and then you budget independently?

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 19, 2008, 10:15:50 PM »

Good luck!

Also, this might be a horridly ignorant question, but how did you go about putting a deposit down on an apartment while you were living outside of Cornell?  For that matter, did you feel comfortable signing a lease without seeing the place?  I've been living with the parents since the end of junior year after coming back from study abroad, so I'm a little out of the whole apartment-search thing.

Also, how do you budget?  Does the Bursar just send you a big fat refund check, and then you budget independently?

Good to see some fellow windy-cityers coming in...

i know people that made a trip up here just to look at apts/sign leases/pay deposits, but some people did it through mail, or reached an agreement with the landlord where the deposit was paid on arrival to ithaca

chronotrigger

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #114 on: March 20, 2008, 11:00:32 AM »

Good luck!

Why not check out some places while you're at the ASW? You could always go a day early or stay a day or two later. This way you at least have an idea of the conditions of some places. I was really glad I visited because some apartments online looked really nice but were disgusting when I actually saw them. This way if you do choose Cornell, you'll have some idea of where you'd like to live. Take a notebook with you and keep some notes so you won't forget the details of each place. I only spent 2 days there and I was getting details between places mixed up (I saw ~15 apartment buildings).

t L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 20, 2008, 11:06:57 AM »
Quail (or other Cornell students), do you know of any people going to/or wanting London?  I've been researching this, and I haven't found a lot of information.  Of Michigan, UVa, and Cornell, which do you think would have the best job prospects for New York or London?  I noticed on NALP that 4 of the 8 London firms on NALP interview at Cornell, but none interview at Michigan or UVa.  It seems like the Cornell name would travel better overseas.   
Michigan 2L

und3r3stimat3d

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 21, 2008, 12:52:05 AM »
Quail (or other Cornell students), do you know of any people going to/or wanting London?  I've been researching this, and I haven't found a lot of information.  Of Michigan, UVa, and Cornell, which do you think would have the best job prospects for New York or London?  I noticed on NALP that 4 of the 8 London firms on NALP interview at Cornell, but none interview at Michigan or UVa.  It seems like the Cornell name would travel better overseas.   

all three are probably about equal. before you gave me the data, I was going to guess Michigan or UVA, just based on American reputation. However, none of the three have an extremely strong tie to the UK, it seems, so it's probably an open question.