Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: For those of you who are going through your second cycle . . .  (Read 3574 times)

WunderCat

• View Profile
Re: For those of you who are going through your second cycle . . .
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 01:14:14 AM »
I retook the LSAT and unfortunately only went up one point :-[.

Did you spend a lot of time/effort preparing the second time, or did you wing it?

LuvHurtz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 01:30:59 AM »

Did you spend a lot of time/effort preparing the second time, or did you wing it?

No I actually spent a lot more time studying. RC was what messed up my score and it was the one section I did not know how to study for so that I did wing. The test as a whole I spent a lot of time prepping for. I did find that even though it had been a year since I took it the first time, I didn't really forget the information I studied the first time around so that made things a lot easier.

WunderCat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 01:35:20 AM »

No I actually spent a lot more time studying. RC was what messed up my score and it was the one section I did not know how to study for so that I did wing. The test as a whole I spent a lot of time prepping for. I did find that even though it had been a year since I took it the first time, I didn't really forget the information I studied the first time around so that made things a lot easier.

Yeah, in a lot of ways, that would be a difficult section to study for.  Sorry about that :-\.  But, it's cool that you retained some of your prior studying.  The only part of the test that messes up my score is the logic games.  I just don't get them.  I've heard that that's the section that's easiest to improve on though, so...fingers crossed!

LuvHurtz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 01:49:00 AM »

Yeah, in a lot of ways, that would be a difficult section to study for.  Sorry about that :-\.  But, it's cool that you retained some of your prior studying.  The only part of the test that messes up my score is the logic games.  I just don't get them.  I've heard that that's the section that's easiest to improve on though, so...fingers crossed!

Logic games was my worst section starting (I would get like 5 right and only make it through 2 games and half the third) and both times I took the test I only missed 2. I'm sure you'll do well...good luck :)

WunderCat

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008, 01:55:26 AM »

Logic games was my worst section starting (I would get like 5 right and only make it through 2 games and half the third) and both times I took the test I only missed 2. I'm sure you'll do well...good luck :)

Thanks!  I certainly hope so!

bohemian_revolution

• Sr. Citizen
  • le fabuleux destin
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2008, 06:00:15 AM »
I didn't retake, I'm just doing a grad program above. The only thing I really changed was application date and the results have been DRAMATICALLY different. Last cycle, Michigan dinged me and NYU waitlisted me, now I'm in at both. Personal statements, recs, everything is the same as last cycle, which goes to show that timing really does make a difference.

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2008, 08:07:01 AM »
I didn't retake, I'm just doing a grad program above. The only thing I really changed was application date and the results have been DRAMATICALLY different. Last cycle, Michigan dinged me and NYU waitlisted me, now I'm in at both. Personal statements, recs, everything is the same as last cycle, which goes to show that timing really does make a difference.

that's incredible.  i was just reading a segment on the Penn website that said that reapplicants would not be accepted unless something dramatically different changed.  what a success story! :)

what kind of grad program is it?  do you think there's any way that could have tipped the scales?
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2008, 08:36:42 AM »
I have a couple of questions, as I might be reapplying myself next year.  I know there are at least a few of you out there . . .

1) Did you entirely revamp your application package?  Obviously most people reapply because of LSAT retakes, and another year off would probably (hopefully?) merit an updated resume, but did you rewrite/retool your PS?  Did you have to send in new LORs, even if you were using the same recommenders? 

2) How on earth did you figure out what to do with yourself in the meantime?  This is my biggest hurdle in deciding to reapply, as I am already bored with my job even though I've been here less than a year, and all of my friends and my SO are leaving town for grad/law school in the fall.

1) I was dissappointed with my first LSAT score.  I studied, but not efficiently or enough (especially after finding this place).

I jumped nine points, and it seemed to give me more opportunities and more money at places (although I don't think it's necessarily helped at higher-ranked schools yet; I still have a lot of Tier 1's pending)

2) I revamped my PS.  It was more about a change earlier in my life that explained why I am the person I am today (including the job I am currently at).  I connected the past with the future, and I think it was better than my first PS (less academic, and more of a story).

3) I had more volunteer experience, and my job is somewhat unusual. I also obviously had more time to research schools.

If I could offer one piece of advice to you if you decide to take a year to apply, find a job that you would never think of doing.  I did, and it really has been an interesting ride!

4) I didn't have new LOR's, because I figured they were the best people I could get to write them for me.

tmdghks97

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2008, 08:41:25 AM »
Is a 5 point improvement on the LSAT considered mild/significant ?

jnb983

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2008, 09:34:17 AM »
Is a 5 point improvement on the LSAT considered mild/significant ?

Significant, considering 5 pts could take you from being below the 25%ile for a school to at or above the 75%ile.
yo: Gtown($$), RU-C($), GW($), UIUC($$), Northwestern($)
no-go: Berkeley, H, Y, UChi
so-so: Fordham, Mich, UCLA, Columbia, Vandy, UVA, Penn, NYU 

el ess en