Law School Discussion

1L at Missouri taking questions if anyone is interested

1L at Missouri taking questions if anyone is interested
« on: January 14, 2008, 07:37:43 PM »
I know that around this time last year I was looking into schools. I found no info here about Mizzou, and had to find it out as I went... so I thought I would answer any questions about the University of Missouri- Columbia (Mizzou) that I could.

I am only a 1L, so I don't know jack about jobs or anything like that... BUT... if somebody has a question about the school, the city, the nightlife or something similar, I might be able to help.

Re: 1L at Missouri taking questions if anyone is interested
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 07:50:15 PM »
Is the driving in Columbia as horrid as its reputation?

It is pretty bad if you are trying to get to campus after 8:30 am. The mass transit here is crap, so everyone drives to campus. After nine all of the undergrads are trying to find parking too, so it is a pain. But if you are like me, and get there at 8:30 am, it is not too bad, and I can get on the first floor of the parking garage that is close to the law school.

Overall, it was a shock at first (I was used to riding a bus in undergrad), but I live about 5 miles from campus and it takes me 20 min to drive, park, and walk to the law school.

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 08:02:12 PM »
Hey Slice, I live in Columbia currently and am looking at MU. 

I sat in on one of Professor Lambert's contracts classes a few months ago and really enjoyed his interaction with the class.  His is the only course I have visited so I was wondering how do other courses/professors compare?

Does everyone take exams on computer there?  I was reading the school's website and glossed over something about having to bring external backup battery power because there are not enough power outlets for people.  I know that this was mentioned in my tour of the school, but has this proven to be an issue for anyone that you know?

What is your take on the administration after the semester started?  So far my interactions have been really good with the school, but I have heard stories of other schools where this changes after matriculation.

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 08:15:06 PM »
It is nice to see a Mizzou student on here.  There are so few on here and LSN that apply to Mizzou that it is tough to get a feel for the school.  I've got a few questions though.

Are you from Missouri or did you go to Mizzou for UG?  Do you think that people that aren't from Missouri feel like outisders (that probably isn't the best word for it, but it is all I can think of right now)?

Just what are your overall impressions of the school, your professors, etc. would be helpful for me.  Have you had any problems with anything so far?

Does MU have ASW's?  I got accepted in November, but have not heard anything about them.

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 08:53:09 PM »
Hey Slice, I live in Columbia currently and am looking at MU. 

I sat in on one of Professor Lambert's contracts classes a few months ago and really enjoyed his interaction with the class.  His is the only course I have visited so I was wondering how do other courses/professors compare?

Does everyone take exams on computer there?  I was reading the school's website and glossed over something about having to bring external backup battery power because there are not enough power outlets for people.  I know that this was mentioned in my tour of the school, but has this proven to be an issue for anyone that you know?

What is your take on the administration after the semester started?  So far my interactions have been really good with the school, but I have heard stories of other schools where this changes after matriculation.

I was in a different section then Professor Lambert, but like all schools there are profs that people really like (i.e. Prof. Peters (torts) Prof. Scott (Legal Writing)) but there are others that aren't so great. From talking to friends in different sections, it seems like there is a good mix of the really good and the average across both sections.

Either way, I have never talked to anyone who did not like going to Mizzou because of any of the Profs.

Yes the lack of power outlets is a pain, you need to buy an extended life battery to get through the classes. You do not have to take exams on computers (Yet... but I heard at some point they may make it required). However, a battery off e-bay is less then $100, and then you will have no problem making it through the classes/exams. However, if you did have a problem, you can just pick up writing by hand where you left off on the computer, and they tech people will combine your exam at the end. So all and all, it is not a big deal.

The admin at the law school has been great! Any problems or questions I have had (from IT stuff to a summer job) has been responded to very quickly. Everyone here wants you to do well, and is willing to help in any way that they can.

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 09:00:09 PM »
I go to Mizzou for undergrad and just wanted to chime in about driving to class. I lived 15 minutes (driving time) away from campus my sophomore year, and I would never do it again. There are plenty of great apartments downtown, which is a really great area within walking distance of the law school and the rest of the campus. When you start looking for a place, I highly recommend the downtown area or East Campus, which is also close - parking is just too much of a hassle.

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 09:05:16 PM »
It is nice to see a Mizzou student on here.  There are so few on here and LSN that apply to Mizzou that it is tough to get a feel for the school.  I've got a few questions though.

Are you from Missouri or did you go to Mizzou for UG?  Do you think that people that aren't from Missouri feel like outisders (that probably isn't the best word for it, but it is all I can think of right now)?

Just what are your overall impressions of the school, your professors, etc. would be helpful for me.  Have you had any problems with anything so far?

Does MU have ASW's?  I got accepted in November, but have not heard anything about them.

I did not go to Mizzou for my UG. I went to Illinois. Aside from a little friendly banter about Illinois v. Missouri sports, there has been no problem making some close friends. I would say about half of the people I hang out with are from Missouri and the rest are from out of state.

While I was used to a bigger school... I am very happy with my decision to go to Mizzou. Again, I am just getting started so I don't know about the job outlooks, but I like the school and the city. Most of the professors are great. Like all schools, you are going to have some that you are not crazy about, but overall they are pretty good. There is a mix between a more lecture based class and a more Socratic method of teaching. Regardless of who the prof. is, every one of them has been willing to meet with students outside of class to discuss any issues that one might have. And something I was not expecting, I have been to several happy hours with each of my professors.

The student body at Mizzou is also very pleasant. Of course there are the typical gunners that you will find anywhere, but it is not too cut throat. I think that I could go to any student for help, and they would be more then willing to help out.
The only thing that I think is out of the ordinary is how many people we have lost from the class. It is a rough number, but from orientation week till now, I think around 20 people have dropped. Also, I know two people from my section failed out. I donít know if this is unusual or not.

Finally, I am sorry but I am not familiar with the different acronyms, what does ASW mean?
Let me know if I can help with anything else.  

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 09:12:58 PM »
With the apartments... I did not sign till July so many of the places were full. Also, I have a dog, so it was difficult to find something close that allowed pets.

Also, I was looking for something quite that I could study when I was at home. My place is very nice and quite. Since my girlfriend works at the University, I just go early in the morning, and the parking is really not much of a problem for me.

Yes I did get my grades. I did OK, not as well as I would have wished, but I am in the top half at least.

Some things I would change. 1) Make it a 8-5 job. I started doing that the end of the semester and my life was much better. By the time I left campus, I was done for the night, and could actually live my life. 2) I waited till the last minute to start outlining. For me this was a big mistake. For example, I would start my outline 3 days before the exam. It would take me 2 days to finish, then I would only have a day to study (and I would not want to pull a all nighter before the exam). So I did not get as much studying done as I should have. Next semester I will do the outlining ealier, then come finals I will have 3 days to review and to work on pratice exams. I think that would help me a bunch.

However, others say doing the outlines at the end helps them the most. You will just have to find what works for you, because I have learned what works for others, might not work for you in the end.

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 05:48:18 AM »
Do you know what the requirements are for maintaining scholarships?

I see that about 10% of the class dropped/failed last year, that does seem high.  Do you think those that dropped were unprepared, immature, or had something else that kept them from making the cut?

ASW = admitted students week, which is a familiarization/recruiting device where admitted students can visit the campus.  I have not received anything regarding this from MU, I assumed they did not have one.

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 06:25:10 AM »
Do you know what the requirements are for maintaining scholarships?

I see that about 10% of the class dropped/failed last year, that does seem high.  Do you think those that dropped were unprepared, immature, or had something else that kept them from making the cut?

ASW = admitted students week, which is a familiarization/recruiting device where admitted students can visit the campus.  I have not received anything regarding this from MU, I assumed they did not have one.

I am not sure about the ASW.. might just want to call or e-mail Michelle Heck. She was great at answering any questions that I had. And she got back to me within 12 hours each time I e-mailed her.

As far as the people that dropped or failed. I think the majority realized this was not like the movies and that they did not want to me a lawyer. With the amount of time that is required, you need to be sure about it before you decide to stick with it.

I think the rest just did not really work that hard. I know one of the kids that failed out went out all the time. I limited myself to 2 times a week, so that left enough time to study.

As far as the scholarship, I am sure each person is different. However, mine was I needed to stay in the top 50%. Out of state is $$$ for a state school, but next year with my scholarship I will almost be going here for free.