Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pregnant in Law School?  (Read 16856 times)

Alecto

• Sr. Citizen
  • Class of 2011
    • AOL Instant Messenger - oceangirlUGA
    • View Profile
Re: Pregnant in Law School?
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2008, 01:54:18 PM »
from a different perspective: my mom was pregnant with me her last year of law school, going part time and working full time.  my dad was working full time too as a new attorney.  they popped me into daycare after a few weeks and got back on with work.  theoretically, I turned out ok (although I am applying to law school, some people would consider that crazy . . . )

lkjfdsa

• View Profile
Re: Pregnant in Law School?
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2008, 02:05:41 PM »
Odd, but related and true, story:

My GF's cousin's friend got accepted to Michigan LS a couple years back. She was pregnant during 1L.  The only problem is that she didn't know it until SIX MONTHS in!!!  I'm not an authority, but I can't see how she could've missed it.  I've never seen her; maybe she was already somewhat heavyset.  Still though, I thought a lot more changed than only a woman's weight.

Anyway, I thought I'd share since she's probably long into anonymity by now.  Goes to show that one can be very smart and very stupid at the same time....

Being heavy set has nothing to do with it, and it happens more than you think.  I've work with some tiny co-workers who didn't even show signs of a belly until 6 mos - one didn't even know she was pregnant until month 4.  Combine that with someone who may have little to no or irregular periods and the stress of 1L year at law school and I can see that happening.  When you have 1L stress, I bet it's easy to miss what you might consider the obvious signs of pregnancy and attribute them to symptoms of that stress.

Some women are very much in tune with what's going on with their bodies, but not knowing you're pregnant until the second trimester is common, especially if you aren't out to get pregnant.