Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Who else has got some major test anxiety?  (Read 1506 times)

newtocali

• View Profile
Who else has got some major test anxiety?
« on: January 13, 2008, 08:56:04 PM »
Gearing up for the third and final shot at this test...first and second test I got the same exact score.  My PTs were consistently 10 points higher than my real test score, so I wasn't so happy with my score.

The first test I bugged out during the RC section, didn't finish in time but balanced it out with a great LG section.
Second time around I did slightly better on the RC but was so nervous that blew the LG and ended up with the same score.

One of the things that I realized was that I am much more prone to guessing on PTs but on the real thing was obsessed with checking and rechecking answers, which slowed me down alot.

I'm using virtual proctor which I hope is helping.

I'm seeing a doc on Tues to talk about taking something for the anxiety, wanted to see if anyone else out there has seen such huge drops in PTs to the real thing, and if anyone else had spoke to professionals about taking something to help with anxiety issues?

10/07 - 158
02/08 - 161

so far - UM. USF. Pacific. UCD!!!
unfortunates - UCB.
waitlisting on - WCL. UCH.
waiting on - FU PT. CWRU. BNC.

denhay

• View Profile
Re: Who else has got some major test anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 02:22:37 PM »
I had test anxiety on the December test.  I didn't perform at the level I wanted, but luckily, I didn't do as terribly as I had first feared.  My first section was experimental, and I freaked out the most in the beginning.  I also kept re-checking answers, but mostly with LG, not so much with the other sections.  I would like to find ways to stay calm.  My husband has suggested that I start drinking green tea and meditate....but with just 3 weeks to go, will it help?  Let me know what the therapist suggests!

lp1283

• Sr. Citizen
  • Skateboard Scooter + Acid-wash Jeans, priceless.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 04:35:13 PM »
TITCR above.

Anxiety meds are not a quick fix for the LSAT.  There are some weird side effects involved.  Especially within the first 4 weeks of taking them.  In fact, some could make you even more nervous until your body gets used to them.  That would just be another obstacle/distraction to deal with.

newtocali

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 05:09:19 PM »
At this point I think the meds would even help me calm down during these next few weeks.  I can't really figure out what else could be giving me a 10 point decrease on the real day.  Isn't that much more than "normal?"  After two failed attempts, my psyche is even more wary, and is now under the impression that the same thing will happen yet again. 
How do I not get caught up trying to figure out which section is the experimental?  How do I let go of a section once its over, if that section didn't go so great?
My questions aren't about how to answer an assumption question, I know to do that.  All the people who I have spoken with have given me advice like, "just breathe" or "try to calm down." Obviously I was breathing and trying to calm down!  Anything else?
10/07 - 158
02/08 - 161

unfortunates - UCB.

DerekShiHarvard

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 08:46:23 PM »

Anxiety meds are not a quick fix for the LSAT.  There are some weird side effects involved.  Especially within the first 4 weeks of taking them.  In fact, some could make you even more nervous until your body gets used to them.  That would just be another obstacle/distraction to deal with.

I couldn't agree more. Also, if you are not used to stimulants such as coffee, do not start using them on test day.
Links:
PowerScore Bibles
Law School Numbers
LSAT Proctor DVD

The shadow proves the sunshine - press on fellow applicants!

Gordon_Gekko

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 11:21:23 PM »

I couldn't agree more. Also, if you are not used to stimulants such as coffee, do not start using them on test day.

If you do drink coffee, do not forget your caffeine fix because it can lead to withdrawal symptoms:

Because caffeine is primarily an antagonist of the central nervous system's receptors for the neurotransmitter adenosine, the bodies of individuals who regularly consume caffeine adapt to the continual presence of the drug by substantially increasing the number of adenosine receptors in the central nervous system. This increase in the number of the adenosine receptors makes the body much more sensitive to adenosine, with two primary consequences.[51] First, the stimulatory effects of caffeine are substantially reduced, a phenomenon known as a tolerance adaptation. Second, because these adaptive responses to caffeine make individuals much more sensitive to adenosine, a reduction in caffeine intake will effectively increase the normal physiological effects of adenosine, resulting in unwelcome withdrawal symptoms in tolerant users.

symptoms—possibly including headache, irritability, an inability to concentrate, and stomach aches[56]—may appear within 12 to 24 hours after discontinuation of caffeine intake, peak at roughly 48 hours, and usually last from one to five days, representing the time required for the number of adenosine receptors in the brain to revert to "normal" levels, uninfluenced by caffeine consumption. Analgesics, such as aspirin, can relieve the pain symptoms, as can a small dose of caffeine.[57] Most effective is a combination of both an analgesic and a small amount of caffeine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffine#Tolerance_and_withdrawal

So if you want to be caffeine free before the test make sure you give yourself at least 6 days.
"the illusion, has become real, and the more real it becomes, the more desperate they want it—capitalism at its finest."

newtocali

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 11:55:34 PM »
fyi the doc prescribed a beta blocker, lowers blood pressure, normlly given to actors who have issues with stagefright, taking the first PT with the meds tomorrow
10/07 - 158
02/08 - 161

unfortunates - UCB.

newtocali

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 12:25:06 AM »
prop - do you know of other ppl who have taken it for this purpose?
10/07 - 158
02/08 - 161

unfortunates - UCB.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 12:33:38 AM »

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 08:22:08 AM »
I don't know if my problem is anxiety, but I frequently have problems focusing on the stimulus/stem/answer choices and find myself thinking about a variety of topics.  I know that the time constraint adds to this because untimed sections I do not have the problem.  During my last two full practice tests, I have started to focus on my breathing whenever my mind starts to wander or I feel a stress headache forming.  This seems to help as it gives me something banal to think about while focusing most of my attention on the test. 

As far as anxiety, the worst part for me is after I diagram a logic game, start to answer questions, and then realize that I am missing some critical deduction.  Usually, I just need to start inserting variables.