Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 3.35/154...Any Thoughts??  (Read 1186 times)

art_vandelay

• View Profile
3.35/154...Any Thoughts??
« on: January 13, 2008, 11:25:21 AM »
So I've got a 3.35 GPA for my major (Mass Communications) and a 154 on the LSAT (September).  I go to a big public school in Texas, and am not an URM...darn.  Anyways, I've applied to Texas Wesleyan, South Texas, LSU, FSU, and St. Mary's.  I'm looking at applying to Texas Tech, Pepperdine, and UNLV, but am not sure if my scores are too low to be in contention at those schools...especially at this point in the cycle.

I've worked most of the past four years in college, and have done a lot of community service work with some leadership experience mixed in as well.  Can anyone offer me some advice on these schools or others that might be an ideal option??  Thanks, I appreciate it!

jalex519

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 3.35/154...Any Thoughts??
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 12:18:50 PM »
FSU is a reach. If you are interested in attending law school in Florida though, I would recommend applying to FIU, its fully accredited and a public school so the tuition is reasonable.
2L and counting...

BKeifer83

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 02:00:53 PM »
There's always Tulsa, Arkansas-Fayetteville, Creighton, Mich St., these are some of the schools I'm applying to and our numbers are fairly similar.

lawschool2008

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 03:07:29 PM »
The market for lawyers is saturated enough already.  With your numbers, I would definitely not recommend you even go to law school.  You will likely take out 150k or more worth of debt, waste 3 years of your life, and then only be able to find a job making 35-40k because you will graduate from a horrible law school.

art_vandelay

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 03:45:19 PM »
The market for lawyers is saturated enough already.  With your numbers, I would definitely not recommend you even go to law school.  You will likely take out 150k or more worth of debt, waste 3 years of your life, and then only be able to find a job making 35-40k because you will graduate from a horrible law school.

Thanks for the supportive thoughts son.  It's nice to know that people like you always have something negative to say.

P. Pius

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 04:37:13 PM »
Keep your chin up buddy.  South Texas or St. Mary's would be a good fit for ya...as far as Tech, Pepperdine and UNLV, those might be a bit of a reach.  I agree with the previous comment that FSU would be a tough one (but I'm not too familiar with their program, so don't take my word on it)

However, stranger things have happened.  Good luck.
In like Flint (Accepted):  South Texas, St. Mary's
Out on a limb (Pending):  Arizona State, Southwestern, Oregon
Better luck next time (Denial): 

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=runnerxc8888

lawschool2008

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 04:38:44 PM »
Negative reply?

Its the truth.  Im sorry that the truth is negative, but this is just the way the legal system works.  Do some research on here and you will see that law school would be a poor choice for you.

jcheste8

• Sr. Citizen
  • Getting excited about law school!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 04:57:46 PM »
Mercer University in Macon, GA

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 06:46:05 PM »
What area are you interested in?

John5

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 08:45:30 PM »

Don't be ridiculous. The job market is expected to increase 11% the next 10 years (according to the census bureau). You have a decent shot at the schools that you have applied to, Art. Don't let people like lawschool2008 scare you out of law school  so that he/she has less competition.