Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Rise and Fall in the Rankings for Tier 1  (Read 3957 times)

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Rise and Fall in the Rankings for Tier 1
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2008, 10:42:23 PM »
W&L is definitely not hurting for money--it's got more than it knows what to do with.  They're building a new football stadium when the old one never reached anywhere near half capacity.

What hurts it is the peer reputation score, because not as many professors in schools outside the region are familiar with it as other comparably ranked schools, most likely due to small class size-->few graduates.  Somehow the lawyer/judge reputation score is always noticeably higher than the peer rep score.  This also may have something to do with the school's reputation for emphasizing teaching quality over scholarship, although I get the impression that professors are expected to publish.

I don't know--I'm of course hoping for a much-deserved upswing ;)

Also, minor shifts in the rankings are pretty insignificant.  George Mason & Hastings-type shifts are the exception, not the rule.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

Avicenna

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2008, 10:43:51 PM »
Here you go...a list of the top 20 throughout the years.
http://www.law.stanford.edu/publications/projects/lrps/pdf/lomiowayne_rp4.pdf

lsatarist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2008, 10:55:07 PM »
W&L is definitely not hurting for money--it's got more than it knows what to do with.  They're building a new football stadium when the old one never reached anywhere near half capacity.

What hurts it is the peer reputation score, because not as many professors in schools outside the region are familiar with it as other comparably ranked schools, most likely due to small class size-->few graduates.  Somehow the lawyer/judge reputation score is always noticeably higher than the peer rep score.  This also may have something to do with the school's reputation for emphasizing teaching quality over scholarship, although I get the impression that professors are expected to publish.

Also, minor shifts in the rankings are pretty insignificant.  George Mason & Hastings-type shifts are the exception, not the rule.

So dumb, didn't hastings simply forget to turn stuff into USNWR one year and got screwed like 20 spots?

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2008, 10:57:58 PM »

So dumb, didn't hastings simply forget to turn stuff into USNWR one year and got screwed like 20 spots?

Yep, and they never recovered.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

lsatarist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2008, 11:24:04 PM »
UW-Madison is my likely destination. Will they never scratch top 25 level because of their comparatively lower LSAT numbers? I feel like they are always close.

vtjas81

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2008, 11:31:08 PM »
BU has been rising in the ranks. Do you guys think it will maintain its high rank for a long time? 
Gpa: 3.44
Lsat: 165
applied: BC,BU,USC,UCLA,W&M,Fordham,Emory,GW, Hastings, Davis

Hammerstein

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2008, 12:26:21 AM »
BU has been rising in the ranks. Do you guys think it will maintain its high rank for a long time? 

Didn't BU cutting its class in half help it quite a bit?  If so, I'm not sure if it's due for another boost for a while, and that might give other schools a chance to catch up with the relatively large benefit of greatly increased selectivity.

Personally, regarding George Mason, I suspect that they will continue to rise a bit more, but they will run, like Fordham with Columbia and NYU, into a kind of brick wall against Georgetown and George Washington.  They'll definitely be really competitive in the D.C. area, but it will be a bit tough on them to go any higher at some point.

Fordham is another school that I speculate could rise.  Once they build their new facility, they might be somewhat better poised for a slightly higher ranking.  While they might not hit 15, let's say, I can see them easily in the T20.
CLS 2011.  All done.

t...

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2008, 12:29:00 AM »
I loved Spaulding's mini-crusade against GM a few months back.

Cady on October 16, 2007, 10:41:52 PM

i rhink tyi'm inejying my fudgcicle too much

Huey on February 07, 2007, 11:15:32 PM

I went to a party in an apartment in a silo once.

lsatarist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2008, 01:29:27 AM »

So if one attends George Mason... are you looking mainly D.C. How far does it's regional influence go?

t...

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2008, 02:27:35 AM »

So if one attends George Mason... are you looking mainly D.C. How far does it's regional influence go?

Read through this (mind you, it's mostly bickering, but some fair points made).

Cady on October 16, 2007, 10:41:52 PM

i rhink tyi'm inejying my fudgcicle too much

Huey on February 07, 2007, 11:15:32 PM

I went to a party in an apartment in a silo once.