Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

What kind of laptop would you recommend?

ThinkPad T61
 3 (15%)
ThinkPad X61
 5 (25%)
Dell D630
 1 (5%)
MacBook
 6 (30%)
MacBook Pro
 2 (10%)
Fujitsu
 0 (0%)
Other
 3 (15%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Laptops  (Read 680 times)

ndun

• View Profile
Laptops
« on: January 12, 2008, 11:22:43 AM »
Also, have you had to make use of your warranty?

If so, what was your experience?

Finally, please try to keep it civil, especially you Mac-bashers. Posting about compatibility issues that some of your Mac-using classmates had is fine, posting about how Macs are worthless "toys" is a waste of everyone's time.
Fordham J.D. Candidate, Class of 2011

siski

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Laptops
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 12:18:55 PM »
I've been using an old PowerMac G4 for years, and I have never had a problem. I plan on getting a new MacBook when I start law school, as long as it is supported by the school I go to. That is one thing I would check on: what platforms your school supports. I'd wait till you know where you're going to purchase a new laptop. The other great thing about the new Macs is that you can run Windows on them, so you basically get the best of all worlds.

Hammerstein

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 12:47:11 PM »
Personally, I suggest trying to go to an Apple store and trying out a Mac before you buy one.  I hate both the keyboard and the touchpad on the new Macs, and you might find the same.  Or you might not.  But that'd be by biggest concern about Apple laptops -- the ergonomics are wanting in my case.  Otherwise, they're great computers for many people (just not for me).

I like Thinkpads, because they are very reliable and well built.  I voted for the T61, as it is around 6 pounds, but fully featured (unlike the 3 pound X61, which requires a dock to use the DVD drive).  I have a T43 myself, and it has been excellent -- carbon fiber body to protect the insides better, dual wireless antennas, great keyboard, and the best touchpad I have ever used.  In addition, like Apple, technical support is fantastic and the system is reliable.
CLS 2011.  All done.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 02:37:25 PM »
i have a x61s...have had no probs.  i don't mind not having an integrated cd drive--i barely use it and if i do, it's to install something or to rip a cd onto itunes.

having a 3.4lb~ laptop is priceless.
Columbia 3L

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 02:51:06 PM »
I also have the X61s and also love it.  It's a fantastic computer, and unlike most 12" laptops it has a full keyboard.  I haven't had to use the warranty because I haven't had any problems.  I got the docking station with the dvd and can count on one hand the number of times I've had to use it last semester.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 03:27:51 PM »
I have an X60 tablet and a T42. I love both. I'm considering another tablet for law school, but can't deal with a 12" screen for my main computer. My T42 is in such great shape that I may not need to worry about that.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

Hammerstein

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 04:02:24 PM »
I have an X60 tablet and a T42. I love both. I'm considering another tablet for law school, but can't deal with a 12" screen for my main computer. My T42 is in such great shape that I may not need to worry about that.

Ironically, I'm considering the purchase of a X60 or X61 for law school, so I'll have a similar computer situation ;)
CLS 2011.  All done.