Law School Discussion

Poll

What kind of laptop would you recommend?

ThinkPad T61
3 (15%)
ThinkPad X61
5 (25%)
Dell D630
1 (5%)
MacBook
6 (30%)
MacBook Pro
2 (10%)
Fujitsu
0 (0%)
Other
3 (15%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Laptops

ndun

Laptops
« on: January 12, 2008, 09:22:43 AM »
Also, have you had to make use of your warranty?

If so, what was your experience?

Finally, please try to keep it civil, especially you Mac-bashers. Posting about compatibility issues that some of your Mac-using classmates had is fine, posting about how Macs are worthless "toys" is a waste of everyone's time.

siski

• View Profile
Re: Laptops
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 10:18:55 AM »
I've been using an old PowerMac G4 for years, and I have never had a problem. I plan on getting a new MacBook when I start law school, as long as it is supported by the school I go to. That is one thing I would check on: what platforms your school supports. I'd wait till you know where you're going to purchase a new laptop. The other great thing about the new Macs is that you can run Windows on them, so you basically get the best of all worlds.

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 10:47:11 AM »
Personally, I suggest trying to go to an Apple store and trying out a Mac before you buy one.  I hate both the keyboard and the touchpad on the new Macs, and you might find the same.  Or you might not.  But that'd be by biggest concern about Apple laptops -- the ergonomics are wanting in my case.  Otherwise, they're great computers for many people (just not for me).

I like Thinkpads, because they are very reliable and well built.  I voted for the T61, as it is around 6 pounds, but fully featured (unlike the 3 pound X61, which requires a dock to use the DVD drive).  I have a T43 myself, and it has been excellent -- carbon fiber body to protect the insides better, dual wireless antennas, great keyboard, and the best touchpad I have ever used.  In addition, like Apple, technical support is fantastic and the system is reliable.

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 12:37:25 PM »
i have a x61s...have had no probs.  i don't mind not having an integrated cd drive--i barely use it and if i do, it's to install something or to rip a cd onto itunes.

having a 3.4lb~ laptop is priceless.

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 12:51:06 PM »
I also have the X61s and also love it.  It's a fantastic computer, and unlike most 12" laptops it has a full keyboard.  I haven't had to use the warranty because I haven't had any problems.  I got the docking station with the dvd and can count on one hand the number of times I've had to use it last semester.

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 01:27:51 PM »
I have an X60 tablet and a T42. I love both. I'm considering another tablet for law school, but can't deal with a 12" screen for my main computer. My T42 is in such great shape that I may not need to worry about that.

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 02:02:24 PM »
I have an X60 tablet and a T42. I love both. I'm considering another tablet for law school, but can't deal with a 12" screen for my main computer. My T42 is in such great shape that I may not need to worry about that.

Ironically, I'm considering the purchase of a X60 or X61 for law school, so I'll have a similar computer situation ;)