Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is Northwestern a regional school?  (Read 660 times)

OnTheRoad

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Is Northwestern a regional school?
« on: January 11, 2008, 10:25:03 PM »
I know it's a great school and all, but I haven't heard anything anecdotally about people leaving chicago. Anyone know how often they do? Seems like an awesome program with the emphasis on WE, but is it a good bet if you don't want to stay in the midwest?

Avicenna

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Is Northwestern a regional school?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 10:39:18 PM »
Here's what you need.
It is definitely a national school.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/ciolli.php

TNGA60

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 10:49:54 PM »
Here's what you need.
It is definitely a national school.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/ciolli.php

What is the standard this uses to distinguish national from regional?

futurelawstudent2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 10:51:51 PM »
my interviewer (I interviewed off-campus in SF) said it was pretty easy to land a job in CA, especially since she had ties to the area. She mentioned that there are less NU grads out here, which can work in your favor (i.e. you're not competing with hundreds of other GULC grads to stay in DC, for example).

Accepted: Michigan, Northwestern, GULC, UCLA, Vanderbilt, WUSTL ($$$$), Boston University, Boston College ($$$), U Washington, William & Mary ($$), UC Hastings, Temple ($$$$) :)

Deferred: Harvard

Boo!: U Chicago, Berkeley, Yale

Pending: Everything else

OnTheRoad

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 11:09:25 PM »
my interviewer (I interviewed off-campus in SF) said it was pretty easy to land a job in CA, especially since she had ties to the area. She mentioned that there are less NU grads out here, which can work in your favor (i.e. you're not competing with hundreds of other GULC grads to stay in DC, for example).

Why would this be in your favor?  There are still hundreds of Boalt and UCLA and Stanford grads.

I know that firms like pedigree diversity, but why?

Marketing.

OnTheRoad

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 11:12:46 PM »
Yeah exactly. School names are marketing for firms. Better to have Northwestern + Boalt + Stanford than Boalt x3.

futurelawstudent2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 11:28:46 PM »

Why would this be in your favor?  There are still hundreds of Boalt and UCLA and Stanford grads.

I know that firms like pedigree diversity, but why?

Marketing.

exactly.
Accepted: Michigan, Northwestern, GULC, UCLA, Vanderbilt, WUSTL ($$$$), Boston University, Boston College ($$$), U Washington, William & Mary ($$), UC Hastings, Temple ($$$$) :)

Deferred: Harvard

Boo!: U Chicago, Berkeley, Yale

Pending: Everything else

2elandbored

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 12:40:06 AM »
From Northwestern you can go anywhere in the country especially if you are looking for big law or clerkships.  I have never met a student who wasn't able to find a quality firm job in the city of their choice.  NYC, DC, SF, LA are all very easy to get to.