« on: April 06, 2005, 10:32:06 AM »
Haven't gotten that far in my thinking yet, but I think that either calling or emailing and just asking: I am writing/calling to check on the status of the waitlist-I am still interested in attending your school-is there any update? Here's the best way I can be contacted.... If you are going to be out of town, letting them know how you can be reached at that point. Reiterate your intention to matriculate if given the opportunity... I think all of that would be fine. My understanding is that they update your file with each contact, even if it is just to call and check on the status (of course, DON'T call too often, and ALWAYS be polite and professional. You might wait until June/July to start making further contacts since that is when the waitlists usually open up. But your original letter of intent- I think that you should definitely do that.
An aside...I also checked with my financial aid office, because I need to do an 'expected student income' addendum (because my FAFSA is based on full-time employment, and I will be leaving that employment to attend school full time, so they adjust your EFC accordingly). They said that because I'm waitlisted, I could go ahead and complete this form (normally only admits should)...because things can "move very quickly with the waitlists, and that way we could have your package ready to go should you get the offer".
Some may call all this wishful thinking...I prefer to think of it as 'build it and they will come' kind of preparation. I know that if the call does come, I need to be ready to scramble, and since my preparation is the only thing I can control...well, I'm sure we all feel the same on that one!