Law School Discussion

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - CheezWiz

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15
Law School Admissions / Re: Public Interest anyone?
« on: February 28, 2005, 10:52:14 PM »
OK, Ok.... so my Social Science degree math is a bit off  ;D

I am going to take a deep breath and hope that I get into a law school CLOSE TO HOME ( to cut back on the living costs).  Gosh, I'm looking at $80,000 in debt... [takes deep breath]  But, I'm bound and determined to make it happen!

What do you guys think?

Law School Admissions / Re: Public Interest anyone?
« on: February 28, 2005, 10:08:34 PM »
I've researched this a great deal.  6 schools (all T14) give away 70% of the LRAP money nationally.  The other 30% of the money is split up between 80 or so schools otherwise.
But let's take the difference in tuition into consideration.

If the average tuition at a T14 is $28,000.  And in-state tuition is about $12,000 (that's 42% of T14).  So, if the other schools only have 30% then that leaves 12% (or $1440) for me to pay.  I think PI pay can cover that.

Law School Admissions / Re: Public Interest anyone?
« on: February 28, 2005, 02:44:34 PM »
I have a dream of convincing a big law firm to create a section devoted to pro bono work and correcting social injustice.  The lawyers in this section would make less than the firm's other lawyers because they would not be billing many hours.  BUT, the firm could use the department for good press and perhaps for taking on BIG public interest cases (i.e. the recent San Fran Board of Ed.)  I think it would be great for the poor to be represented by a firm with some clout behind the name.... dunna, pipe dream perhaps, but I'm gunna network my little butt off to see if I can make it happen.

Two letters of recommendation required and up to three letters accepted.

Law School Admissions / Re: ANY MORE FREE APPLICATIONS FOR FALL '05?
« on: February 26, 2005, 03:57:33 PM »
Quinnipiac is not free.

It is if you order that booklet that tells you that lawyering is not like Law and Order.

Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists / Re: Western New England
« on: February 23, 2005, 01:50:37 PM »
Congragimitations Mon Ami!

But the process of “getting in” is not about proving your point/counter-point or evidentiary abilities.  It’s about getting attention so that you can show who you are.  People don’t want to read some drab rag with 50 “and then’s” thrown together with a few “therefore’s”.

I had two professors in my Univ.’s English Dept. take a look at mine.  I didn’t pay a dime.  I would venture to say that most of us have that resource available to us.  If you can’t write well and attract your reader then no amount of money in the world will help you.  But having a professional (paid or otherwise) review your statement can sharpen your essay.

Choosing the Right Law School / Re: Utah or BYU
« on: February 22, 2005, 02:58:32 PM »
I can't talk about Utah, but I can say that I have really enjoyed my time at BYU (Ugrad).  I am ready to get the hell out of Utah, but BYU law might make me stay.  It's nice being in such a supportive community.  Plus, the fact that the Church (of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) financially backs the University so much (the last number I heard was that students only pay 20% of what tuition would be if the Church wasn't behind the school) is a BIG plus.

If you are LDS there is no better place to network with members worldwide (although keep in mind we have networks at most major law schools).  Remember, no matter where you go, where you get your degree introduces the person you are to employers and such.  In my opinion (Yes.. I go to BYU and Yes... I am LDS) BYU gives a nice introduction.

When you come to visit sit for a while in the Wilk (inson Student Center), walk around and observe the students, get a feel for how you feel while on campus.  I think you'll like it.

« on: February 22, 2005, 01:42:41 AM »
No free govt $. And every law school will take your parents income into consideration when considering you for need-based aid.

Oh bother!

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15