« on: April 14, 2005, 04:02:52 PM »
PS - That is crazy that Notre Dame did not accept you!
This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.
Messages - miguel
« on: April 14, 2005, 04:02:10 PM »
Are you Berkley undergrad now? One the one hand, it would be great to get a law degree at a different place, and on another, NYU is a great school. I would say the faculty email, although a nice plug, should not factor into your decision at all. What should:
1) Which coast you want to work on
2) $$ (assuming you're a CA resident, this is a big deal!)
3) Relative importance of varying your academic institutions
Good luck - great choice to have!
I increased 12 points (over 4 years, which may also have a big effect since I got a masters and WE in between).
My addendum was brief but just tried to call attention to the discrepancy. I attributed the first try to being young, right out of college, and un-prepped, and the second go-'round to being more serious and committed to law school.
Positive results: in at 1 reach, waitlisted at few more. I think you should disregard double-LSAT "policies" we've seen floating around the web; each application will be looked at differently by any given school any given year. (some schools, however, have an explicit/public higher score policy, and these may be dependable, though who knows).
Tousled - are you thinking about doing Barbri? I am thinking it might be interesting but probably not worth the money (as compared to getting some books togerher to read yourself over the summer).
And what school are you going to choose?!
Thanks for each of those thoughts. I agree with and understand all those points. I think at this point I'm thinking I'll just dive in to school. Getting to know myself and life is always nice, but it's not like I havn't had some of that already (I'm 27). It's hard to fathom what $10,000 really means in the grand scheme of a law career (it sure seems like a lot to me know as a grad student!) but I think I can see it isn't worth changing plans over (assuming I would be able to...!)
I'm considering deferring at UC Berkeley - aside from smaller reasons about getting to know the area and take some time to myself, it would mostly be about establishing residency in CA in order to get the in-state tuition for all 3 years (otherwise I would probably get it for two of the three). This would save me about $10-$12 k.
Anyone think this is a silly decision and that $10k or so in the grand scheme of things is negligible, or is it a significant amount that, coupled with a desire to get established and comfortable in a new state (I would find some sort of low-stress job and travel around a lot), is a good call?
« on: April 06, 2005, 05:18:28 PM »
I got a call from the admission office today, telling me a letter was sent out, and she "thought" it was a waitlist. I was like you "think?" It was vague and strange.
I also asked about the PIPS and she said that I would get looked at for that again if I got taken off the waitlist that i might be on (I would have to wait to get the letter that was sent out).
Geez. So I guess I didn't even get in, which baffles me since I was accepted there 4 years ago when I applied there right out of college (the only place I applied and decided to wait on law school). 4 years later, I am committed to go, scored 12 points higher on the LSAT, have a masters, and now I get waitlisted? Weird.
Good luck to the rest of you!
I got placed on the "reserve" list too, and am not pleased about it. Sent in a letter along with the post card (did anyone else get a postcard with a "Columbia University Library 250th anniversary" stamp on it? That was pretty friggin' weird.)