Thanks for the info rhapsody. I'll look into those areas that you mentioned. I'd rather invest in a house rather than rent IF I can pull-it-off. It just seems wrong to pay someone else a monthly rent check which is HIGHER than my current mortgage payment.
Any suggestions regarding suburbs of DC? what communities have decent/safe public-schools and cost under $300K to live in? Ideally, I'd like to find a single-family 3-bedroom residence similar to what I currently have (I live about 45 miles southwest of Chicago). Around here, you can pick up an average home (1800sq-ft 3bd/2ba) starting at $200,000.
I can live with up to an hour/each-way of commute... I'd rather not go up to a 2 hour commute time. I did 2hr/each-way for 5 years while working in Chicago. It wasn't any fun.
Update.... I'm in at Catholic as of today (March 26th)!! Now I have to choose:
Catholic with no $$ (yet? anyone know if there are any left?) - Move to area Toledo with a full ride - Move to area Michigan State 25%off tuition + free laptop - Move to area DePaul with $8K/yr - Stay where I am
Decisions ... Decisions. For all intents and purposes, I'd love to attend Catholic... it's the best option for communications law. I just have to figure out a way to afford to do it and move my wife and 2 kids to a SAFE/REASONABLE area around DC.
P.S. School visits must weigh in decisions. My decision from Catholic was sent out the day that I visited the school last week!
Where did you apply? Perhaps you shot too high with your safeties. If you are looking to go to law school (meaning that you are willing to go to any accredited school), you should get in. You just need hurry and get an APP into some school with relatively high acceptance rates (refer to USNWR for stats).
starrynite is correct that the terms hold and deferral are also used when the EA/ED cycle is performed. But the concept is the same... all seat offers are exhausted for the EA/ED program and your app is being tossed into the next cycle for reconsideration. This late in the season, all regular seats are exhausted or you are just too marginal to be offered but likewise too good to be denied, so you are being given a re-consider at a later date.