Law School Discussion

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - Bizarro Jerry

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]
Studying for the LSAT / Re: LR Question
« on: November 18, 2007, 05:50:53 PM »
The opening statement, it said that you can grow one or the other in MOST (more than 50%) of the country... so MOST of the country must either have dry or warm climates...

If it is cold and humid in half of the country, that means that in at least half of the country, it is difficult to grow any plants.  That conflicts with the above, meaning it is the answer that must be false since it says HALF of the country would have conditions that making growth difficult.

I have a slightly different situation than the average student who is just heading out of undergrad and applying for LS and as such, I'd appreciate any feedback some of you could offer.

Background:  I am 30 years old and have a BS in Meteorology (2001), an MS in Science Education (2007), and nearly three years of teaching experience at the same public high school where I am currently employed.  I am requesting LORs from my undergrad primary adviser who I also worked with during my masters (Letter #1). He is a professor who I've had a solid, long relationship with and who knows my background, abilities, and experiences well.  Letter #2 will come from my primary thesis adviser during my Master's program.  She knows my academic ability well after putting me through the wringer with an exhausting thesis that finished strong. 

The question comes regarding the third (and potentially, 4th) letter(s).  I realize it is important to make the third letter a job-related one and non-academic, as I've been employed full time now for three years.  I have a few options on who I can seek this letter from and this is my quandry:

Option A:  From my primary supervisor (principal) during my first two years at the current job - he knows me relatively well, gave me solid evaluations, and nominated me for first year teacher of the year (which I subsequently won).  He is now at another school, thus has not been my direct supervisor for the past ~year or so but was my direct supervisor for about two years (2005-early 2007).

Option B:  My current supervisor (principal).  Upside:  He speaks very highly of me to myself and others, has placed me in a fairly high level chairmanship position, and seeks my input before that of many others in the building.  The downside:  asking him would show my hand that I'm considering leaving this current job...and I'm not 100% certain that he'd appreciate that.  I really doubt he'd reflect his frustration/disappointment in the letter, but the whole idea nags at me just a hair...  Additionally, he's only been my direct supervisor for about 4 months.

Option C:  A colleague:  A fellow science teacher who has been in education much longer than I have and has been somewhat of a mentor in these three years.  Additionally, he has some minor connections to my target university (his mother was a professor there (although not in the law school), he's from the area (I'm not), and his current wife is employed at the school (again, not in the law school).  He isn't a supervisor, but knows me well and has those connections I just cited.  This option seems a bit out of the norm, but seems as though it may also have some strengths lacking in the other options.

My target school recommends three letters and accepts up to four.

So which combination of three or four letters would provide me with the strongest application.  [I need to help overcome a GPA that is below my target's 25% and an LSAT (Dec/07) that will likely fall somewhere around 50-75%] 

[I didn't mean for this to read like a logic game or writing sample ... but hell, its just more practice for those of you cramming for the upcoming LSAT like myself ]

Law School Admissions / Re: Big Question: Should I wait for the next cycle?
« on: November 14, 2007, 10:49:02 AM »
Thank you all very much for your valuable input.  I had read about others delaying their start dates, I never really thought that'd be me - I had never really strongly considered waiting until yesterday.  The prospect of delaying my applications is a double-edged sword - it is disappointing on one hand since I've been spending a couple of months envisioning this change as occurring this coming summer...but on the other hand, the prospect of delaying does take some anxiety and weight off my shoulders as I feel I'll be able to spend more time on the whole process - not just the LSAT, but the LOR, the personal statement, etc...

I scored a 162 on a prep test yesterday but it wasn't strictly timed as I expressed earlier.  It raised a lot of doubts and as I began examining my mistakes, I recognized there is still significant room for improvement, I believe.  As such, it does seem as though waiting my be my best option at this point. I have both the logic games bible and the LSAC super prep book and they both seem incredibly helpful...I just haven't been able to spend the time getting really in to them - I'm only a little way into each book and I don't anticipate having the time necessary to complete them before December 1st.

If any others have further input, I'd love to read it.  Thank you again to those who responded.

Law School Admissions / Big Question: Should I wait for the next cycle?
« on: November 14, 2007, 07:13:14 AM »
I have been pushing forward on applying to law school to start Fall of 2008 but am now reconsidering and would appreciate some feedback from the members of this board.

Background:  I'm 30 years old with a BS in Meteorology (cum laude) and an MS in Science Education (both from state schools) currently employed as a public high school science teacher.  I've taken on many leadership roles in my district and have been the recipient of a number of awards and honors in these three years in education.  While I'm good at it, it isn't the best fit for me when it comes to a challenge - the intellectual stimulation I'm seeking is missing.

I have registered with LSDAS, scheduled for the December LSAT, requested my transcripts be sent, and have not yet requested LOR.  I'm currently working full time and don't have the ability to study/prep as much as I'd like for the upcoming LSAT and that has me concerned. 

My reasons for considering waiting until the next cycle:
My target school has a median GPA range of 3.25-3.75 and I'm at the bottom end of that.
My target school has an LSAT median of 155-160.  While I am currently scoring in the low 160s on practice tests, that has been without timing myself on the games - I'm running about 7-10 minutes over to get them all done.  I'm slowly improving, but I feel I don't improve enough by December 1st.  I have a great deal of anxiety about that test...I'm registered and have been planning on taking it all this time but am now second guessing that.  (Canceling and losing that $50 or whatever is not a big concern at this point).

I spoke with a woman in the admissions office of my target school who stated that taking the December LSAT is pretty routine, although taking the February one would "put me at a slight but undeniable disadvantage" when it comes to admissions, thus taking it later but still applying for the current cycle seems to be a worst-case option.  I also strolled around the campus and spoke with several 1L and 2L who basically verified most of what I was able to find out through in terms of admissions standards.

As much as I'm not enthused at the prospect of delaying another year, many indicators are pointing in the direction of that being my best option.  What do you all think?

Studying for the LSAT / Re: Tricky LR Question
« on: November 13, 2007, 04:27:25 PM »
My read on it is that the assumption must be made that the apples are not washed between the time they are harvested and the time they reach the cafe.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]