Law School Discussion

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.


Messages - RickLax.com

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 26
61
Current Law Students / Re: Boat Cruise
« on: March 11, 2008, 05:25:07 PM »
Is it worth $50 to see all my classmates freakdancing with each other?

LawSchoolBlogger


Inflation Update: this year it'd cost me $85. 

62
Current Law Students / Re: Year 3 Ain't Easy
« on: March 11, 2008, 10:21:18 AM »
Yeah, bet you'll have LOTS of time to blog this summer...

Sadly school ends in May...as does LawSchoolBlogger...

Hope you were sitting down for that.

63
Job Search / Re: memoir on the resume
« on: March 11, 2008, 10:20:18 AM »
:(

well then, i will at most only check it out from the library :)

there's always paperback...

64
Current Law Students / Re: Year 3 Ain't Easy
« on: March 05, 2008, 02:49:09 PM »
seriously you are a tool.  If a Blog is supposed to be a device that develops a network and benefits your 'presence' and assists your career.....then why would you run one like a feminine hygiene product-bag and *&^% all over everything you come in contact with by dropping your spam everywhere? 

Flawless reasoning

Did I say that was the purpose of the blog?  Just meant to entertain...that's all. :)


65
Current Law Students / Re: Chicago v. New York
« on: March 03, 2008, 10:43:42 PM »
I've lived and worked in both NYC and Chicago.  Both are great cities, but very different.  Living in NYC, for at least a year, is an experience I would highly recommend to anyone. Whether to put down perm or semi-perm roots in NYC is another story (it's a great choice for many, but it's certainly not for everbody).  My thoughts:

1) DePaul alumni are associates and partners at every major firm and practically every midsize firm in Chicago, plus countless small firms throughout the area.  The mayor went to DePaul.  How many DePaul alumni do you think practice in NYC?  NYC has its own DePaul, plus a few better, and a few worse.  You haven't (yet) managed to land a job in Chicago.  Why, especially given the economy and legal job market, would you discard whatever advantages (alumni/friends) you have in Chicago?

2) Are you actually willing to pay for, prepare for and take the NY bar, rather than IL or Mich? 

3) Whatever you're paying for housing in Chicago, you can basically double that for NY.  A $1k/mo apartment in Chi would be $2k in NYC (absent some rent-stabilized find - good luck!); a nice 2bed/2bath condo in a great area of Chi runs around $400k; similar place in NYC would be $800k). 

4) Chicago is closer to your family (with whom you seem close, based on your blog). 

Accordingly, your options would seem to be:

1) Don't take any bar.  Move to NYC, do magic, push your book, whatever.  Millions of smart, creative people flock to NYC to be special.  For some, it works out and they "make it."  Others, not so much. After a while, if you find that NYC is the only place in the world to live (as many people decide for themselves), you can take the bar there.  If not, you can return to the midwest and do so, be it in Chi or Mich.

2) Take the bar in Chi (or Mich).  Begin practicing law.  You can always take plenty of trips to NYC if you desire, in which case you'll be there as a tourist, i.e., you can actually enjoy the city, which, were you to actually live there, would be limited to half days on Saturdays and Sundays. 



Pretty solid thoughts.  Thanks for em.  All will be considered.  But really?  Twice as much for a place?  Damn.

66
Current Law Students / Re: Chicago v. New York
« on: March 03, 2008, 10:41:39 PM »
Do you really want to be a DePaul JD in the Oozing Prestige of NYCBigLaw?

Not into the biglaw thing.  Looking for NYCSmallLawPIfirm...if such a thing exists...

67
Current Law Students / Re: Chicago v. New York
« on: March 03, 2008, 10:40:46 PM »
You need to seriously ask yourself whether you like NY style pizza better or Chicago style pizza. I think therein will lie your answer.

Ha.  That's so funny.  That's what EVERYBODY asks.
New York pizza for sure.
I live across the street from Giordano's...and NEVER go there...

68
Current Law Students / Year 3 Ain't Easy
« on: March 02, 2008, 07:03:27 PM »
Everybody says the third year is supposed to be so easy.  Not so much, I’m finding.  I mean, even if the assignments are twice as easy, it’s at least twice as hard to get motivated to do them.  Anybody else finding this to be the case?

RickLax

69
Current Law Students / Chicago v. New York
« on: March 02, 2008, 07:01:08 PM »
Where the hell should I practice?
Right now, here’s where I’m at: Chicago: 75% chance, New York: 25% chance.

And here’s my thinking:

CHICAGO UPSIDE
-I’ve really liked my past three years here.
-I’ve made a handful of friends I don’t want to leave.
-I know some people who know some people who might know some people who could get me a job.
-The city is close to home (Michigan).

NEW YORK UPSIDE
-I’ve always wanted to live in New York for part of my life.

CHICAGO DOWNSIDE
-If I didn’t move to New York, I’d always be wondering what I was missing out on.

NEW YORK DOWNSIDE
-I can’t work from 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM every single day…and I’m told these hours, for New York attorneys, are not at all uncommon. Actually, I called my ex at 10:30PM Chicago time (11:30 New York time) last week and she said she couldn’t talk because she was still at work. She finally called me back at 12:05 Chicago time (1:05 New York time). She had just gotten home.

Hmmmm…what do you think?

-RickLax

70
Current Law Students / Negotiations In the Real World
« on: March 02, 2008, 06:58:18 PM »
Hmmm…not sure my Negotiations class is helping me in the real world.  Right now I’m sitting across for this girl, “studying” at Caribou.  I really wanted to study at the Drake Hotel…she here at Caribou…and she just didn’t budge….so I gave in.  Has taking Negotiations helped any of you outside of school/the job?

-RickLax


Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 26