Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Topics - RickLax.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
11
Whenever somebody contracts some awful disease or undergoes some awful family tragedy and gets interviewed by the local news about it, they always say the same thing: “You see this in the news all the time, but you never think it can happen to you. And then one day it does…”

I think failing the bar exam is the opposite. Everybody thinks it will happen to them, but it only really happens to a select few. I realized that early on, that the math says I’ll likely pass the bar exam, so I haven‘t been too worried about it. Well, yesterday I found out that one of my friends took the bar exam six months ago…and failed it.
 
Sure, she took it during the school year, so she probably didn’t have enough time to study. But still, she’s a smart girl and she failed. Took a prep class and everything. Now it’s starting to hit home. Some people really fail this thing.

Tomorrow I’m going to figure out how to get my hands on review books. And then, beginning Monday, I’m going to start studying. I’m going to try to study all day, every day. Oh, and I’m going to work all day, every day to promote Lawyer Boy.

-RickLax


12
Bar Exam / Failing the Bar: The Opposite of Awful Disease
« on: May 24, 2008, 05:13:20 PM »
Whenever somebody contracts some awful disease or undergoes some awful family tragedy and gets interviewed by the local news about it, they always say the same thing: “You see this in the news all the time, but you never think it can happen to you. And then one day it does…”

I think failing the bar exam is the opposite. Everybody thinks it will happen to them, but it only really happens to a select few. I realized that early on, that the math says I’ll likely pass the bar exam, so I haven‘t been too worried about it. Well, yesterday I found out that one of my friends took the bar exam six months ago…and failed it.
 
Sure, she took it during the school year, so she probably didn’t have enough time to study. But still, she’s a smart girl and she failed. Took a prep class and everything. Now it’s starting to hit home. Some people really fail this thing.

Tomorrow I’m going to figure out how to get my hands on review books. And then, beginning Monday, I’m going to start studying. I’m going to try to study all day, every day. Oh, and I’m going to work all day, every day to promote Lawyer Boy.

-RickLax


13
General Board / sweaty graduation
« on: May 24, 2008, 05:11:23 PM »
Graduation was rough. First of all, I was sick. Soar throat, runny nose, that sort of thing. Second of all, under my heavy robe, my hood, my cap, my wool suit, my dress shirt and tie, my undershirt, I was sweating like a pedophile. Third, I still had a paper due. In the middle of the semester, my prof said that I could turn it in whenever I wanted.

“You mean, I can turn it in after graduation?”

“Sure you can. I know you’re good for it.”

At the time it seemed like a blessing. During graduation, not so much. I know I would have easily got it done if he had set a due date. Can’t blame him, though. Only myself.

-RickLax

14
Studying and Exam Taking / Year 3 Ain't Easy
« on: March 02, 2008, 10:03:27 PM »
Everybody says the third year is supposed to be so easy.  Not so much, I’m finding.  I mean, even if the assignments are twice as easy, it’s at least twice as hard to get motivated to do them.  Anybody else finding this to be the case?

RickLax

15
General Board / Chicago v. New York
« on: March 02, 2008, 10:01:08 PM »
Where the hell should I practice?
Right now, here’s where I’m at: Chicago: 75% chance, New York: 25% chance.

And here’s my thinking:

CHICAGO UPSIDE
-I’ve really liked my past three years here.
-I’ve made a handful of friends I don’t want to leave.
-I know some people who know some people who might know some people who could get me a job.
-The city is close to home (Michigan).

NEW YORK UPSIDE
-I’ve always wanted to live in New York for part of my life.

CHICAGO DOWNSIDE
-If I didn’t move to New York, I’d always be wondering what I was missing out on.

NEW YORK DOWNSIDE
-I can’t work from 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM every single day…and I’m told these hours, for New York attorneys, are not at all uncommon. Actually, I called my ex at 10:30PM Chicago time (11:30 New York time) last week and she said she couldn’t talk because she was still at work. She finally called me back at 12:05 Chicago time (1:05 New York time). She had just gotten home.

Hmmmm…what do you think?

-RickLax

16
General Board / Negotiations In the Real World
« on: March 02, 2008, 09:58:18 PM »
Hmmm…not sure my Negotiations class is helping me in the real world.  Right now I’m sitting across for this girl, “studying” at Caribou.  I really wanted to study at the Drake Hotel…she here at Caribou…and she just didn’t budge….so I gave in.  Has taking Negotiations helped any of you outside of school/the job?

-RickLax


17
Pointless Arguments / Bennigan’s Test Question
« on: February 26, 2008, 02:18:26 AM »
Every Sunday I get a chicken sandwich and dinner salad, to go, from Bennigan’s.
 
I’ve been doing it for about two years now. I always get fat-free honey mustard salad dressing on the salad…or so I thought.

See, there was somebody new behind the bar tonight. Well, she wasn’t new—I had seen her working as a server throughout the past few years—but she wasn’t the person I usually order from.

I gave her my order and told her that I wanted the fat-free honey mustard dressing and she said: “We don’t have fat-free honey mustard dressing. Well, we haven’t had that for like a year-and-a-half.”

“That can’t be right. I’ve been ordering it every week for two years now.”

“You might have been ordering it, but you weren’t eating it. The closest thing we have to fat-free honey mustard is low-fat Italian. You want that?”

Argh.

100 salads x 2 tbsp dressing/salad x 10 grams of fat/tbsp = 2,000 grams of fat I didn’t know I was eating and wouldn’t have eaten had I of known.

So what can I charge Bennigan’s with?

-RickLax

18
General Board / They Left My Casebook
« on: February 26, 2008, 02:15:17 AM »
I’ve been in Chicago for three years.  In that time, I’ve had my laptop stolen from my locked gym locker and my wallet stolen twice.  I’ve also witnessed four thefts, and I’ve gotten myself involved in two of them.
 
Whenever I bring my laptop to the bookstore, I carry it with me when I stand up to walk around and look for books or use the bathroom.  I of course take my cell phone and my wallet along with me too.  I only leave behind my old laptop carrying case (which is made of canvas and has a huge hole in the bottom), my casebooks, and some pens and paper.

Yesterday, somebody stole my crappy laptop case, my $2 pens and my blank paper.

They left the $120 casebook.  What does this mean?

-RickLax

19
General Board / Studying in Bookstores
« on: February 26, 2008, 02:11:58 AM »
I’ve been studying at the Barnes & Noble next to my school for three years now. Most of the time, they play classical music and jazz…only now, they’re starting to play more and more techno, and they’re starting to play it really, really loud, and it’s starting to really piss me off.

Is the bookstore hoping to “make reading cool again?” Does techno music increase sales? Or does Barnes & Noble just want me study somewhere else?

-RickLax



20
General Board / Studying at the Peninsula
« on: February 19, 2008, 12:50:58 PM »
Here at the Peninsula Hotel in Chicago...wondering...how am I supposed to study Wills, Trusts, and Estates when Chris Rock is sitting at the table next to mine and being really funny?

-RickLax

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6