This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.
Messages - yykm
Pages: 1 2 3  5 6 7 8 9 ... 16
« on: October 18, 2007, 04:20:38 PM »
Your peers likely have just as many time commitments as you. They weren't able to find employment the 1st week of OCI. They are probably still searching for employment. If not, they are taking a huge gamble that 3L will bring more opportunities. The sad truth is that a lot of biglaw firms arent hiring as much next year. (I heard this straight from a nyc biglaw hiring partner.)
« on: October 18, 2007, 04:11:36 PM »
I've stuck to email even when no general email is listed. It eliminates the posisbility of misspelling the name and having the receptionist respell the name N xs.
« on: October 11, 2007, 08:02:24 PM »
If the firm does not follow up a verbal or email offer w/ an offer letter which you can sign and photocopy before sending back, you should request one.
Bottom line: Regardless of how your initial offer is extended, it's always safest to ask for something in writing, IMO.
An offer via email is writing. I agree you should request something in writing (even via email) if the offer only came orally.
« on: September 28, 2007, 07:55:10 PM »
Is anyone else still waiting to hear back on an offer?
I was told by the firm that this wait is rather normal, just wondering if anyone else out there is sailing in a same boat....
Three weeks today at one of the firms. It is a mid size firm though, so I guess that is normal.
Anyone know if what the protocol is for places you are waiting on if you already accepted elsewhere?
If you already accepted elsewhere, isnt the ethical thing to do is to withdraw your application? A quick email should work.
Mid size firms are rather aggrivating. I'm still holding out on a few of them even though I already have a biglaw offer in the bank.
« on: September 27, 2007, 01:50:02 PM »
i hope i have this problem, but email? seems impersonal and unprofessional. i would be offended if a firm notified me of a ding by email. calling, too, would be awkward.
shucks, i'm so fortunate to be so low class that i took the only offers i got so i was saved from this awkward situation.
why not send an email that personally describes reasons followed by a formal letter to confirm?
congrats on the multiple offers.
One offer is all you need. Plus there are plenty of people with 0 offers. Don't put yourself down!
As for canceling callbacks, I think e-mailing might be more practical than calling it in. I declined 12 callbacks via phone and SIX of them called me back a month later asking if I was ready to come in for the callback... I think the recruiting ppl at these firms are extremely busy and sometimes they might forget to make a note of it on your file. Leaving messages on their machines is equally unreliable.
I don't know if other people had this problem but I think it makes life easier to e-mail rather than call it in.
I hope the firms Im waiting to hear from have made a note of all the cancellations. I applied via email to all these firms and they said they wanted to wait to see how many of their callbacks workout before making callbacks to non-OCI schools. In some respects, it's annoying. My school is on par or better than the OCI schools. Perhaps this is the reason people advise you to attend school in the region you want to work.
« on: September 26, 2007, 05:37:51 PM »
One partner told me that I may get such a letter, but to take it serious. He said that they only accept so many SAs, but open it up a lot more for starting associates. I plan to apply to that firm again next year.
However, I think some firms standardly send letters with that message. Cravath comes to mind.
« on: September 16, 2007, 09:32:06 PM »
Is there any way to convince employers to give you a shot when you dont have ties to that market? (Outside of the obvious - high grades, LR, etc.)
« on: September 16, 2007, 09:21:33 AM »
I do have 2 years work experience in finance and I am targeting NC, primarily Charlotte, which is supposed to be the second biggest financial center in the states. I thought it would be a good match, lol.
In a market like Charlotte, your ties to the city are WAY WAY more important than your academic or work background. If you aren't from there, don't have family there, or don't have a wife from there, they will basically just write you off and move on.
I think most markets are like that. Even NYC, Chicago, LA, etc., want candidates to have ties to that city or region. It's more of a preference than a reqt for these cities, but of youre from TX or GA, I'd think a NY or Chicago firm would be more hesitant extending you an offer than they would someone from MI or NJ.
« on: September 12, 2007, 10:39:09 PM »
Im in a similar position, minus the LR. I've already performed a mock interview, which didnt seem all that helpful. The mock interviewer told me that I didnt exhibit any poor interviewing qualities and that I seemed personable enough. The main thing they told me was that the majority dont find employment through OCI and told me to get me resume out to cities where I have connections, as well as targeting some smaller firms as well. She also told me to check up on any resumes I submit.
On a more positive note, a 3L told me he received 2 callbacks in October from firms he interviewed with the first week.
« on: September 10, 2007, 05:09:34 PM »
If your error occurred in the bottom half of your resume, then the firms may not have cared anyways depending on your gpa. An error on a cover letter may be overlooked as it isnt scrutinized like a resume.
You may want to resort to going office to office with resume in hand to try and find employment.
Pages: 1 2 3  5 6 7 8 9 ... 16