Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - pete.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
41
Law School Applications / Re: Mountains versus the Desert
« on: May 05, 2008, 09:48:59 AM »
with the disclaimer of having never been to arizona, i say new mexico because you get both. have you ever been to santa fe? now that is a cool town. further north, you have taos, another cool town. then you have the sandia mountains right outside albequerque...

arizona will probably have the best career prospects, but new mexico has been on the rise as of late... (they rejected me).

42
Where should I go next fall? / Re: Dog vs. Cat
« on: May 05, 2008, 09:07:39 AM »
I'm going to go with...
... DOG!

seriously though, cats are lower maintenance though generally less fun (in my opinion)-- my dog comes everywhere with me. also, when i'm super stressed and but i'm forced to take my dog out for a walk or something, it's usually a good thing.

43
Where should I go next fall? / Re: How old will you be...
« on: May 03, 2008, 05:44:36 PM »
31, but i may do a joint degree. in that case i would be 32.

...but i'm a step ahead b/c i recently found out i have a 401k... with $200 in it.

44

My gut feeling is that if I ask before they offer, they'll not consider me for this year and will just suggest that I reapply next year. But that would not necessarily mean guaranteed admission next year- as does a deferral.

I just don't think there's anything to lose... and some schools don't rank the waitlist.

i just think that if you're trying to get off of the wait list, you don't want a school thinking that you want anything other than to go to their school this year. i know it's just posturing, but i think they want certainty, particularly with those last few spots.

45
I thought it might come off as presumptious to ask without having received an offer? You don't think so?

the feeling that i get is that schools generally prefer not to grant deferrals. i would wait UNLESS, you applied late in the cycle and other people with similar numbers who applied earlier were admitted. then it's simply a matter of space and they might be happy to grant you a spot in next year's class.

But aren't all waitlists "simply a matter of space"?

my bad, i was thinking they hadn't been waitlisted yet (cuz that's me). perhaps it's worth a shot...

edit: couldn't this serve as a disincentive for them to admit off the waitlist this year? but perhaps given the uncertainty involved you be ok with this?

46
I thought it might come off as presumptious to ask without having received an offer? You don't think so?

the feeling that i get is that schools generally prefer not to grant deferrals. i would wait UNLESS, you applied late in the cycle and other people with similar numbers who applied earlier were admitted. then it's simply a matter of space and they might be happy to grant you a spot in next year's class.

47
yeah, i have no idea what to do. both schools are across the country and i'm hoping to share with a roommate to cut costs. the fact that there's a tight rental market at the school A makes me feel like it wouldn't be too difficult to unload my lease if i get into B, but still i feel that's kind of a dicey move.

48
what are everyone's thoughts on this?

49
So if A and B end up costing ~same, B would be your preference over A and C pwns both A and B?

C>B>A?

correct

50
my gf's family is loaded, but we generally split expenses 50/50. is this equivalent to paying more than my share?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8