This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.
Messages - kaniff
« on: December 05, 2006, 11:43:15 AM »
I took A LOT of advice from JGR and took it to heart [postponed Sept.LSAT, canceled Dec.LSAT b/c I was convinced I still have a chance for this cycle].
This thread is making me regret doing so without a background check.
Too bad Megan's Law doesn't apply to advice molesters.
« on: December 04, 2006, 12:45:37 PM »
Listening to Baroque music helps tune your brain into its natural rhythym, but Mozart is from the classical period. So I don't know. Baroque music has roughly 60bpm, I think...not sure, it was from some study I read a long time ago.
« on: December 04, 2006, 12:37:51 PM »
Oh, I get it - I thought she meant that people who take the test in Feb. do really bad on the test! So glad, I don't want to have to take the test in June after they change it! Oh well, I'll apply to some schools with my Feb. LSAT - if I don't get in anywhere that I want to go I'll either apply early for next year, or apply to some of the schools that let 1L start in the spring.
OP- if you really didn't think you did well you should cancel. It's still possible to be admitted in February, and if you don't get in anywhere you wanted to, then wouldnt you rather apply next year and go to a school you really want to go to, then apply now and go to a school you're not that excited about because you have less choices?
This was my thought process when I decided to postpone. Good luck!
Do you have a backup plan if you don't get into the schools you want this cycle? I know you'll have to wait a year, but what are you going to do in the interim? Are you still in school or do you have a job or are you unemployed? Just asking, cuz I really need to figure out what I'm going to do if I don't get in this cycle...
I'm canceling this past test and retaking in Feb...
« on: December 04, 2006, 12:15:08 PM »
Yea, REM is key; I only got only 2.5 hours of sleep. Being on this board stressed the hell out of me from a week prior to Sat, and it carried over until I took it. Which is retarded cuz I was pretty confident before the week, and should have realized to rest up and not do anything LSAT-related to stress me out. I got stuck in the mode that this Dec. LSAT was our last chance to apply for this cycle the night prior and just couldn't fall asleep.
I had the exp. LR first as well, and I knew I rocked it. But like you, it went downhill from there. I had to reread everything 2 or 3 times before I even knew what I read, so then I would just pick answers and not feel confident about them.
Are you giving up on your goal for this cycle? More people than not say I should just wait it out another year, but at this moment I'm unemployed and don't want to fall into the trap of being stuck into a career I don't want to be in. I'm a year and a half out of school and I'm hungry to go back.
So what are your plans now?
« on: December 04, 2006, 12:07:26 PM »
« on: December 04, 2006, 12:05:06 PM »
Speed reading in itself is pretty much useless for a test like the LSAT, where one modifier can be the key to answering a question correctly. I don't know what your native language is, and how fast you can read from it, but one advantage of speed reading is that it will train and familiarize the muscles in your eyes to become acquainted with having to read quickly; your brain can then do the rest and determine what optimal level of comprehension you acquire at the speed you read.
« on: December 04, 2006, 11:55:08 AM »
I'm guessing you don't mind waiting another cycle?
I'm in a similar situation as you are in now. I've done nearly all of the exams and really have nothing else to fill up my time from now until I retake in Feb. In order to prepare myself for Feb, I think I'm going to do what GWB said and practice the concepts more than just trying to finish a test a day, which was my mentality leading up to the exam. I'll save the couple of exams I have now and save them for each Saturday leading up to the exam, taking them in a public place, at 8:30 in the morning, back to back with absolutely no breaks.
« on: December 03, 2006, 11:15:28 PM »
Well, the standard advice for transfers seems to be, don't go to a school where you wouldn't be happy because the chance to transfer anywhere is not guaranteed.
In making the choice to take the Feb LSAT and apply this cycle vs. waiting for a year, you'll also want to throw in the question of will you be happy and comfortable going to that T3 law school for the whole run. Don't assume you can transfer.
Good article saying stuff like that: http://www.princetonreview.com/law/research/articles/find/transfer.asp
If that's the case, I wouldn't attend a 3rd tier school. Period. The employment aspects of those schools are so grim that I'd rather consider a new career path - even my lofty dreams of writing screenplays for a living, which I planned on doing in my future free time as a retired ex-partner at the ripe old age of 45. Yea............
« on: December 03, 2006, 11:12:27 PM »
If all I did was rush and still be able to complete all the answers, I wouldn't cancel.
But my brain was malfunctioning (prob due to the lack of REM sleep) and didn't get to answer around 20 questions. That's NEVER happened to me before, not even during my Powerscore diagnostic, which I got a 159 in, without ever seeing a LSAT question before in my life.
« on: December 03, 2006, 10:45:43 PM »
First off, thanks for all the words of advice and encouragement.
I did practice taking full tests, but with 4 sections. I took a minute break after each section. The proctor gave us 1 second. Time's up, now begin the next section.
My whole plan was to transfer no matter where I go. So even if I did get into a respectable 2nd tier, I feel like I have the discipline (now) and motivation to excel enough to package myself as a respectable transfer applicant to 1st tier schools. My uGPA is a major limiting factor of mine that I want to erase and replace with a solid 1L performance.
However, it seems like that the possibility of attending a 3rd tier is a very real one. I know being in the top 10% is standard for ANY considerable transfer applicant, but how high on that upper 10% would I need to be able to transfer from a 3rd tier to a 1st tier? I'm also aware of the love affair with admission offices and the USNEWS ranking, and that transfer applicants don't apply to their coveted score.