Law School Discussion

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Topics - socalbrazilian

Pages: [1]
General Off-Topic Board / Foreign Country Summons
« on: August 06, 2012, 12:33:04 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I am posting this in case someone has experienced or heard of a similar case and know of its validity.  I was born and raised in Brasil and now live in the U.S., been here for almost 20 years, legally, my dad lives in Brasil and took me to court for financial support.  Yeah, exactly my dad.  In Brazil, there is a law similar to childsupport but the reverse where the parants can take the kids to court for financial support.  I may not be able to represent myself or hire a representative at the hearing scheduled at the end of the year in Brazil.  I know if i don't comply with the decision made by the judge i can go to jail once i step in the country, but my main concern is what the outcome could be here in the United States.  Should the Brazilian court have a judgement against me, would the American court enforce this decision?  I am just trying to avoid spending money that i don't have to hire a U.S. attorney.

Any feedback is welcome and appreciated, thanks.


Pages: [1]