This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.
Messages - denk
Pages:  2 3 4 5 6 ... 25
« on: July 22, 2007, 06:27:38 PM »
...But the main point that I wanted to make was that laptops with no OS or the "free" OS aren't much different in price compared to the Windows based laptops. So in the end, "Windows" isn't really costing you much, if anything at all.
Ah. Got you. I believe though, that this is also not true.
I think a compelling argument could be made that a Linux laptop is cheaper for many reasons, such as:
- No need to purchase virus checking software and yearly subscription.
- No need to spend time and degrade HD by periodically defragmenting it.
- No requirement or pressure to purchase the office suite.
- No need to upgrade laptop past the factory-installed memory in order to use standard applications.
I'm not saying that these are conclusive, but this should show that the issue isn't so black-and-white.
« on: July 22, 2007, 06:19:41 PM »
Now my practice sometimes requires that I have a Windows machine for testing and forensics...
sounds cool. What kind of practice are you doing?
I hadn't thought about going to Defcon - maybe I should go to one.
« on: July 22, 2007, 02:45:25 AM »
Actually, I used Omni Graffle to diagram during 1L - esp. in Property and Contracts. But I'm a very visual person.
Interesting - I'll have to give that a shot.
« on: July 17, 2007, 07:15:13 PM »
...But tell me the last time you saw a laptop being sold that didn't come with windows pre-installed.
Last night, browsing dell.com.
Sounds like someone has anger issues.
« on: July 17, 2007, 07:11:58 PM »
Thanks for the great feedback, everyone - there are some interesting things here to track down.
I've used OmniGraffle and it's great, but probably not so applicable to law school.
« on: July 16, 2007, 05:53:46 PM »
It looks like "OneNote" is the de facto standard in the Windows world. But what are Mac users doing? Anyone use Omni Outliner for anything serious? I haven't learned how to use it yet. Otherwise, I use Open Office for outlining and writing for my job.
« on: July 16, 2007, 05:52:01 PM »
Thanks, that was helpful.
And I found out that my school does not "support" Linux. (Always a funny thing, of course - no Linux user would really want support.) But I'd hate to discover at an inconvenient moment that I can no longer access the net here.
But Mac is supported, so I'll either use the MacBook Pro, or buy one of the smaller ones for the lighter weight. (There were rumors of a small MB Pro to be release, but it hasn't materialized yet...) I think I'll start a Mac software thread...
« on: July 16, 2007, 03:43:55 AM »
I'm a new 1L, and am thinking about what kind of hardware and software to put together for the note-taking in class,
Any other hackers / Linux users / computer programmers out there?
I'm thinking about ideas that will let me be the most safe with my data and most flexible - not having to carry stuff around. For example;
* Buying a used $300 mini-laptop, and putting Ubuntu on it. Using either emacs or open office, etc. This is the computer I'd schlep to class, and leave in a locker there.
* Keeping all of my actual data online on a secure webdav/ftp server the school makes available. Maybe use a combination of subversion + rdist.
* I currently own two computers: new 15" Mac Powerbook Pro, and a 15" Thinkpad T-42 with Ubuntu, but I don't want to drag those around everywhere I go. So I'm thinking I'll leave them at home, and at work, and just always have access to my notes via the online server.
Another thing I like about all this is *not* really depending on some great-ass laptop. I believe it should be an expendable device --- the data is what's valuable.
Anybody else going to use open source?
« on: July 16, 2007, 02:57:50 AM »
Yep - totally looking forward to it. I have a theory that my background and experience in computer science is great prep for "thinking like a lawyer". I actually believe I already do! We'll see...
Pages:  2 3 4 5 6 ... 25