Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - PaddyWack

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
41
Besides law students and the admissions committees, that is.

Maybe I'm oversimplifying this a bit, but I just can't see employers eagerly awaiting the new rankings, and comparing them against resumes.  Why are all so worried about it?

42
Rutgers - Newark.  Full ride plus cash in the pocket.  I'll be living at home (i.e. with my mom) in Jersey City, which I'm not thrilled about, but for a free law degree I think I can suck it up.

Hopefully, it'll only be for a year or so, until my fiancee can move into town.

43
Paddy, that letter is incredible. i wont copy/paste, but the tone you used was great. i'll be sending a version of this letter to a couple of my choices and see what they say...

Glad to be of assistance.

Good luck.

44
Thanks Paddy.  What if I'm not letting them know of any other scholarships from other schools.  What if I'm really withdrawing, and I'm ok with it, but I'd actually consider if they gave me $$$.  What would you say in such an e-mail.  Just something like, "thanks, but it's hard to pass up other offers at other schools and pay full tuition here", in a much nicer way?
I just want to withdraw from my schools, but I'm not sure what to say in the e-mail. thanks for any help

Just emphasize that finances play a significant role in your decision.  Something like "though I would certainly prefer to attend [law school], financial considerations, as they stand now, almost certainly would prevent me from accepting the offer of enrollment."

See the subtlely there?  "As they stand now" leaves the door open for them to tip the scales by putting some money on the table.  If the school you're going to is ranked significantly lower, don't mention it unless they ask.  Even then, say that you're still examining your options. Obviously if the school of your choice is ranked on the same level or higher, it can only help your case to mention it.  Either way if they really want you, I think they'll put up some dough.

45
Also, I told them I lost the reply forms (which I did).  That makes it necessary to send an email.

46
do i have bargaining power if i was accepted to a higher ranked school where i would receive in-state tuition (more than $10k cheaper), but was offered no money there?

Not a lot, I'd say, but if they want you, they'll make an offer.

Try.  Worst case scenario is that they say "no".

47
isn't there a tactful way of asking for more money without threatening to withdraw?  seems dangerous to me to withdraw unless you know for sure they'll offer you more money.

Here's an example of an email I wrote:

Dear Ms Walton,
 
Let me say that I am thrilled to have been accepted to Rutgers, and even more so to have been awarded a Dean's Scholarship.  Rutgers is my alma mater, and uneqivocally my first choice of all the schools to which I have applied.  In fact, I had gone so far as to write the check for my tuition deposit and seal the envelope.  It is only in the last hour that I feel myself wavering in my decision to attend.
 
Having just spoken to the admissions office at the St. John's University, I was informed that I had been awarded a scholarship for full tuition.  While the prospect of not attending Rutgers is a decidedly unpleseant one, I cannot overlook the significance this new offer brings.  However, I also cannot accept their offer until I know for certain that Rutgers will not match it.
 
So, my question is, what is the proper procedure for re questing an adjustment in my scholarship offer?
 
I anxiously await your response.
 
Sincerely,
 
PaddyWack



It worked.  Just be corteous and straightforward.   Don't come off as demanding.

48
so what does your cardozo offer add up to in total?  30k, or more?  what are your #'s?

GO TO HELL!!!!



Sorry...knee-jerk reaction.  Sorry, but I don't give out my numbers.  It's for the best.

Right now their offer stands at $30K.  I'm in the process of negotiating a few thousand more to fully cover tuition and a living stipend.


that's a hair-trigger case of tourettes you've got there paddy. 



I laughed.   :)

49

how did you guys all withdraw from cardozo? did you send a letter then get a call offering you more money? or did you call, or what? i havent withdrawn from anywhere yet and i dont really know what do to.

Email Rob Schwartz.

50
so what does your cardozo offer add up to in total?  30k, or more?  what are your #'s?

GO TO HELL!!!!



Sorry...knee-jerk reaction.  Sorry, but I don't give out my numbers.  It's for the best.

Right now their offer stands at $30K.  I'm in the process of negotiating a few thousand more to fully cover tuition and a living stipend.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8