Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - jonlevy

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55
Job Search / Back to the Future
« on: December 11, 2011, 09:29:07 AM »
Intuit is hiring experienced attorney tax advisors:

Looks good huh?  Intuit  is paying a paltry $16-$18 an hour and you have to work a straight 8 hour shift from home like you are in a cubicle. Twenty years ago when I got my law license with a non ABA degree and no one would hire me, I got the lowest lawyer job possible, representing lifer inmates at a maximum secuirty prison at their parole hearings. The California Parole Board paid $23 and hour, the other lawyers thought I was crazy but I needed the work.

Intuit would not offer that salary unless there were takers....

L.L.M. Board / Re: Is an LLM worth it?
« on: December 11, 2011, 09:22:20 AM »
In other words, pass the bar and get some practice experience first before pursuing a LLM in Tax.  Otherwise you can work for TurboTax as a Tax Advisor, they want to hire attorneys at $16-$18 an hour!!

Distance Education Law Schools / Re: distance learning
« on: December 08, 2011, 10:52:24 AM »
There are two external PhD/LLD options I know of and both are good, University of Leiden and University of South Africa. You need to contact them with your thesis proposal first to see if anyone on the faculty is interested in the topic.  I am with University of South Africa but I have a background representing African entities. Leiden might be the first choice:

Distance Education Law Schools / Re: Online vs Correspondence
« on: December 08, 2011, 10:32:18 AM »
Unless there is a major cost differential that makes a difference, the online courses with an instructor are going to be better than correspondence. I did the correspondence route because there was no online 25 years ago. But in my opinion a successful correspondence student will need familiarity with the legal field or courts and proven ability to memorize law outlines, statutes, Blacks Dictionary and nutshells by sheer force of will or they will likely wash out quicky.

Distance Education Law Schools / Re: Expunged Records
« on: December 06, 2011, 09:32:23 PM »
To figure out the law:

Look at the annotated code for each state's expungement laws, then check the case law in the annotations.

You can also do the Google thing and come up with sites like this which may or may not be accurate:

Bottom line if you fail to disclose and it shows up in the FBI database you may be screwed.

Distance Education Law Schools / Re: Expunged Records
« on: December 05, 2011, 07:33:41 PM »
Consult with a lawyer who specializes in professional discipline defense, there are several who advertise in California Lawyer magazine, you really don't want to go into details here.

Distance Education Law Schools / Re: distance learning
« on: December 03, 2011, 09:19:32 PM »
LLD is a PhD in Law, it involves writing a thesis, no class work. My specialty is international law. An American JD is considered the equivalent of Bachelors in Law outside the US even if the ABA makes the inflated claim a JD is the same as a PhD. 

Distance Education Law Schools / Re: Expunged Records
« on: December 03, 2011, 09:14:37 PM »
Generally speaking expungement does not grant some sort of privacy right. In the context of moral fitness to practice law, it is still relevant:

"We are aware that his requirement [to make a full disclosure of any charges made against him] calls for a high degree of frankness and truthfulness on the part of the attorney making application for admission to practice law in this state, but no good reason presents itself why such a high standard of integrity should not be required."
Spears v. State Bar, 211 Cal. 183, 187 (1930)

Of the forty states that allow expungement or sealing of arrests not leading to conviction, twenty-nine permit an individual to deny the arrest. Of the sixteen states that allow expungement or sealing of convictions, thirteen permit an individual to deny the conviction. Ben Geiger, The Case for Treating Ex-Offenders as a Suspect Class, 94 Cal. L. Rev. 1191, 1200 (2006).

My understanding is that not all expungements are equal, depends on the state and court.  I am sure some applicants do deny the conviction and suffer no consequences.

So a lot depends on the states involved and local practices. I am not aware of any law though that prevents someone from asking about an expungement.

Non-Traditional Students / Re: In a holding pattern...
« on: December 01, 2011, 11:13:10 PM »
I instruct at an online accredited MSLS (MS in Legal Studies) program at a well known university. Some students do take it as a prep for law school. Most for some sort of job or career advancement. It is not the same curriculum as law school but does introduce you to the law. If you can justify the time involved it may be worth it. In theory it might enhance your job prospects and/or admission to law school. The UIS curriculum looks about right to me.

Government employees and paralegals seem to get the most out of the Masters in Legal Studies programs. In the alternative you might look at a Masters in Criminal Justice or Public Administration online program.

Distance Education Law Schools / Re: Expunged Records
« on: December 01, 2011, 06:27:38 PM »
The state bar will also ask the same question for its moral fitness requirement, you are supposed to report expunged convictions, I assume we are talking about California.

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55