Which UK law school is under 5K?
This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.
Messages - jonlevy
Both schools are not accredited and they will not get you a ticket to the bar, only the First Year Exam which has only a 20% overall pass rate. This is why how much the school costs is a non criteria. The only criteria for online California law schools are First Year exam pass rate and Bar pass rate. Of course one can theoretically become a lawyer by going to these schools however reality is the statistics.
I have seen lots of theories on how one can become a lawyer here and there and not go to a traditional law schools but the proof is the bar pass rate, nothing more or less.
There are only about 3 or 4 distance law schools in California that have a track record of any sort of success and even then your odds are more like 5 to 1 against passing the bar.
I'm not against it by any means, just in favor of transparency.
Putting your money on an online LS with no track record of success is a huge gamble. A lot of these schools come and go and graduate few if any attorneys. Go with a school that has actually graduated lawyers. if you don't get a law license all your money is wasted on an unaccredited degree or worse a first year.
« on: September 07, 2013, 07:19:35 PM »
Anyone who has a familiarity for multivariate statistics and quantitative analysis could explain how it is very easy to take raw data (test scores) and achieve the desired results. I am not saying it is done that way, I am just saying if a State Bar wanted a 20% pass rate it can more or less achieve it by manipulating the data. I just find find it odd that those FYLSE exam takers always fail 80% of the time or conversely always pass 20% of the time.
« on: September 03, 2013, 10:25:44 PM »
No matter what the rubric is - essay question grading is subjective. Additionally, the passing cut off on other portions can be jacked up as opposed to other states. Do they manipulate it, sure they do, that's why the pass rate is lower than other states.
« on: September 02, 2013, 10:18:05 PM »
Model answers may have nothing to do with passing. It just seems curious that from year to year, 80% of the FYLSE takers fail and the general Cal Bar pass rate never seems to get above 60%. On the other hand in some states, the bar pass rate is always 80-90% - seems to me those failed FYLSE takers might have succeeded in another state had they that option. Too bad lawyers suck at math (except for billing); this could use some quantitative analysis.
« on: August 31, 2013, 10:19:54 AM »
No, you missed the point. It's not the questions, it is the grading and the curve which is controlled by the CalBar.
For example, if it is predetermined there will be only a 20% pass, only those students in the top 20% will pass; the other 80% will fail regardless whether their answers would have satisified exams at a law school.
While T/F and multiples should be straight forward, essay question grading is arcane and subjective. Some jurisdictions like DC and California have consistently low pass rates cause by essay question grading practices.
« on: August 28, 2013, 07:56:46 PM »
I also wonder if the State Bar stacks the deck, the pass rate never seems to go above 20%. I wonder if the Cal Bar is purposely fiddling with the grading curve to maintain this low pass rate?
« on: August 28, 2013, 07:55:10 PM »
The Concord results are not encouraging; Concord has the resources to get most students through this test. This would indicate the Concord students themselves are somehow deficient in their study habits or simply lacking basic skills. such as writing and memorization.
Good luck, Big Daddy. Please keep us posted on your experience.
Putting in the time is the key. Also don't expect high grades from Taft just give it 100% effort. The GPA is irrelevant; I graduated with under 3.0 and passed the Cal Bar on the first go.