Law School Discussion

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - legalpractitioner

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 67
Online Law Schools / Re: taft law school
« on: August 14, 2015, 09:38:32 AM »
They have things called practice books that tell you what to do, step by step with forms for every specialty imaginable.  You should invest in them if you ever get a license to practice.  As for private fees, what a federal court might award is irrelevant.  Private fees are negotiated between the parties and unless unconscionable are usually much higher than federal court rates.  I dare say, a competent solo practioner can gross 200K these days their first full year out these days because technology would make them even more efficient.

I was in a good location, small town with only a few attorneys that was also the county seat with a giant prison just opening up there which provided as many PD, family law and civil rights cases as one could ever want from prisoners and correctional officers.  They were so short of lawyers, lawyers drove up 90 minutes from the next county down to take cases.  Now if I was opening up in LA which is crawling with lawyers, I doubt I would have done as well.

Online Law Schools / Re: taft law school
« on: August 14, 2015, 08:43:35 AM »
EZ - one man office, cut the overhead, no employees, work 16 hours every day,  never take a vacation,  take every case that walks in the door and try to charge $350 an hour, back then PD conflict was $75 and hour.  SSD and SSI cases also pay big multiples on not so many hours. Never did much PI because too time consuming and too much competition.  20 years ago and no cell phones or email to waste time.  You could do it now too, you just need a flow of clients and a referral network and a plan.  I located my office between the two biggest bars in a one horse town that way the clients could have a drink before and after they met with me.  After I ended up getting killed on taxes, I worked a lot smarter and a lot less. 

Online Law Schools / Re: taft law school
« on: August 14, 2015, 07:03:53 AM »
"You didn't mention the LSAT score, only that you sat it. I still call BS on the rest of it FYI"

Just trying to be helpful anonymous Pi dude since you asked.  But I am not about to argue with you.

Online Law Schools / Re: taft law school
« on: August 13, 2015, 08:38:46 PM »
I graduated from Taft in 1992.  I had a BA and was working full time for the county govt. when I started in 1988.  Taft did not require a LSAT but I had taken one earlier but dropped out of Golden Gate Law School after a few weeks because I didn't like the lectures.  My GPA at Taft was maybe 2.5 but I passed the FYLSE and Cal Bar on the first try each.  I didn't really pay any attention to the score.  I studied only to pass the FYLSE and Bar.  Within six months I was getting PD conflict and family law cases on a regular basis because I let every attorney in town know I would gladly take any cases they wanted to get rid of. 

I have no affiliation with Taft except as an alumni.

Online Law Schools / Re: taft law school
« on: August 13, 2015, 03:10:16 PM »
Well back when I attended Taft it was about $1000 a year tuition and another $600 a year for the books and outlines.  Another $1000 for FYLSE related costs and maybe $1500 for the bar exam related costs.  So costs also used to be criteria but as I understand it the spread is not  that big anymorebetween DL and ABA law schools.  First full year out in solo practice I netted six figures.

So there are financial calculations there that might help mitigate extreme odds.

Online Law Schools / Re: taft law school
« on: August 12, 2015, 09:44:42 AM »
I agree - anyone going into DL law school should know the score, 20-1 odds (5% chance) against ever passing the Cal Bar (whereas an ABA is grad is looking at maybe a 90- 95% chance they will eventually pass a bar) and no job at the end.  But people do it and are successful.  And they do have options besides sitting in California.  Everyone has to find their own way and that involves specific research.  Personally, I'd advise avoid Florida like the plague because unlike most states it really does occasionally go after UPL violations BUT I know attorneys who have navigated around that via federal practice alternatives and other methods.

But this forum is about alternatives and if someone serious and qualified wants to go the DL route for various good reasons, telling them ABA or no way is a disservice IMO.  There are enough DL and correspondence California grads out there practicing now to provide empirical proof this works for some people, some of the time.

Online Law Schools / Re: taft law school
« on: August 12, 2015, 08:38:07 AM »
Florida has one of the toughest UPL regimes but even Florida admits that practice of patent law, federal tax, immigration at the agency level is federally, not state, regulated:

Point is do not make sweeping generalizations and do your own research.

Online Law Schools / Re: taft law school
« on: August 11, 2015, 02:44:07 PM »
Unless one is still meeting with clients face to face, there is no need to reside in the same state as one practices.  Virtual law firms have been around for well over a decade. If one has gone to all the trouble to study law by distance learning why would they go back to the old school practice of law?
Just pick a field that does not require showing up for court, leave that for others.

Online Law Schools / Re: taft law school
« on: August 11, 2015, 11:34:20 AM »
Let's also assume that no online grad is going to get hired by anyone.

Now it is possible to file federal lawsuits in a large number of jurisdictions with just a California license.  Just Google "Orly Taitz."  Now Orly took a lot of heat for her political views but she has litigated in numerous federal courts with a Taft degree.  She did get sanctioned once but not for UPL.

Online Law Schools / Re: taft law school
« on: August 11, 2015, 11:25:40 AM »
It depends on the UPL laws in each state exactly what one can get away with.  Setting up a physical office in a state where one is not a member of the bar can be trouble, not always, but is not advised.  There are things one can do to mitigate the UPL issue though:

1.  Always state in any written communication that does not trace back to California - Member of California Bar and also affirmatively state not a member of the bar in any other state involved if there is any ambiguity involved.

2.  Check each states UPL rules and rulings.

3.  Gravitate towards low risk federal practice like immigration, tax, veterans disability, social security disability, international trade, SEC, military appeals and federal tort claims.  The feds occupy 100% of these practice so also regulate who can practice, not the states.

4.  Have your virtual office and mailing address where you are licensed.

5.  And finally avoid clients from your state of residence like the plague.

6. get admitted to as many courts and bars as possible.

7. look to other attorneys who practice online as mentors

Follow the above and you can live anywhere and practice with a Cal bar. license.

Does the typical online grad have these abilities, sure, if they pass the bar they are not dopes.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 67