Congrats on your acceptance to SU, are you planning on taking the summer session CrimLaw class?
This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.
Messages - LawSchoolAuthority
the email i got asked me not to call or email about the waitlist, just wait for further instructions in the coming weeks. should i still write a loci and or visit the school? i don't want to annoy them and have them think i didn't read their directions.
I responded to your post in the other thread. But again, I think that a school's request for you not to call/email regarding the waitlist can be distinguished from applicants sending LOCIs/additional LORs/visiting. While you should wait to contact the school regarding your waitlist status until your receive further instructions, by all means, secure another LOR, send in a great LOCI, and take this opportunity to visit the school.
If a school asks you not to contact them regarding the waitlist, I would respect that request. If you just want to make sure that the admissions office has received you letter, you can always send it certified mail with a tracking number, or you could include a self-addressed stamped envelope/postcard with your LOCI and a note asking the office to confirm receipt of the letter.
With that said, I think the circumstances may change later in the cycle. If you are placed on the waitlist in February, send your LOCI, and you do not hear anything by May, June etc... it may be in your best interested to again follow up with the school to let them know that you are still interested and to see whether they are even admitting anyone from the waitlist. Again, there are other actions you can take to show your interest. Just because a school does not want to be bombarded with emails and phone calls regarding the waitlist does not mean that you cannot show your interest by visiting the school, scheduling meetings with adcoms etc...
Failing to amend your application, which may cause problems down the road, will likely have more of a negative effect than if you were to amend you application. So, it is probably in your best interest to fix the problem. You may wish to talk to an administrator at your law school to discuss whether they believe it will have a negative effect on your Bar application. This is likely a problem they have seen before. Without a doubt, report the incident accurately on your Bar application.
Not a dumb question. You should take your time to compose a profession letter and mail it in. I would strongly urge you not to email/fax an LOCI. Someone just posted a similar question earlier today, and I referred to a couple thoughts on writing an LOCI, here's the link - http://www.lawschoolauthority.com/blog1/
If you would like, you could call the admissions office a couple weeks after you send the letter to make sure it has been added to your file.
Personally, I would go ahead and send the required waitlist form, and I would promptly follow it up with your LOCI and another LOR if possible.
I recently posted a few thoughts on following up with LOCIs and LORs here - http://www.lawschoolauthority.com/blog1/
ATL recently did a two part story for laid off biglaw attys interview for small firm jobs. While it does not all apply to your situation, a couple points may be useful.
and part II
I'm at a top 20 law school in a city that I def do not want to practice in... I just missed top 5% last semester (so I'm likely around top 6%) which puts me about #16 or so in the class...
Based on your first semester grades, you have a good shot of transferring to a T10. Your lsat/ugpa likely do not carry much weight; schools will look for the most part to your first two semesters grades when making a decision.
Most, if not all schools, do not offer money to transfer students. Also, it is not commonplace for transfer students to negotiate scholarships with the school to which a student wishes to transfer. You may however be able to negotiate with your current school. Since you're on full scholarship, maybe you could negotiate an additional cost of living scholarship.
You should check with the schools to which you plan on applying to see if you could write on to the flagship or secondary journals. Many schools have write on competitions for transfers in the fall. As far as your personal reasons (friends, contacts, etc...) that's all up to you. But you'll have two years to establish a network at your new school, and with the potential of being at a T10 or T5, depending on how you do this semester, it may be well worth it.