Law School Discussion

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - thinkinoutloud

Pages: [1]
Job Search / Re: 1L Diversity Summer Associate Positions
« on: October 06, 2011, 07:30:01 AM »
It all depends on the firm.  Some firms look to "lock-up" good talent early, while for others the 1L program is not used as a recruiting tool.  This is a fair question to ask firms that you are interviewing with. 

Choosing the Right Law School / Re: U of Colorado vs. U of Denver ($)
« on: April 11, 2010, 09:08:49 AM »
**Disclaimer- I just paid my seat deposit to DU, I had many other options with $$ but settled on DU.

I think it really comes down to which school is the best fit for you.  While CU is higher ranked and enjoys a slightly better reputation nationally, the truth of the matter is that by and large it is still a regional school.  If you are unsure that you want to stay in Colorado, then you are rolling the dice with either of these schools as you will need to be towards the top of the class to be attractive elsewhere.  If you are sure you want to stay in Colorado, then I would go the route with the least debt.  Denver places more people in the Colorado legal market than any other school (50% of the Denver legal market are DU grads).  If you are staying in Denver then why pay the extra money?  Again though it comes down to where you are going to be comfortable.  The schools have very different feels, with CU being in Boulder and DU having a more urban campus.  I think both are good good luck with your decision.

I am currently in this situation.  I applied and was admitted to several schools last year (even had a two full-ride opportunities).  Unfortunately, with the economy going down hill and my wife being pregnant with our second child, I could not justify stepping away.  So far this year I have already been admitted with a full ride to a school ranked higher than those I applied to last year.  I am waiting on the rest of my cycle to complete, but my advice would be do what is right for you and your family.  Law school will always be there, and if you can pull a decent LSAT and have decent work experience then you will not have any issues.

Law School Admissions / Re: No scholarship offer at Du
« on: December 12, 2009, 09:31:23 AM »
Just to let you know.  I received my acceptance to DU yesterday morning via email, then a few hours later I received my scholarship notice.  So you may still have money coming your way as they send them separately.

Hey all, I'm happy to see this thread...I live in St. Louis currently and am weighing my options in joining the class of '12 at SLU.  The St Louis area has it's pro's and cons: it has to be the biggest small town you have ever been to.  Most of the people here are from here, grew up here, and have the same friends they did in the 5th grade...that being said, it i a relaxed place and the people are generally nice.

I attended the AS Weekend and thought it was great. The faculty seemed extremely accessible and despite the less than stellar facilities I got a very positive vibe.  The Health Law program has a national reputation and could be a good ticket to DC if that is what you are interested in.  I have heard good things about the International/Comparative Law Certificate as well.  Overall, I am excite about SLU, but I don't have to foot the entire $ that helps.  If you want to know more about STL or where to live, don't hesitate to holla at me!

So I have been offered scholarships to two different schools.  One is a full ride and the other 3/4.  The 3/4 ride school is ranked slightly better and is local and I will not have to relocate (I have a family and this would be a serious chore).  However, I am still undecided as I would like to come out debt free.  Both have an acceptance deadline of April 1 and I am unsure if I will make a final decision.  On top of that I am still waiting on a couple of other higher ranked schools to see what kind of money they come back with.  I don't want to be a jerk and accept only to decline later when there are others who could use the money...anyone have a similar situation?

Pages: [1]