Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - bigs5068

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 148
I was in an almost identical situation in 2008 and law school is not something to rush into. When you enroll in a law school odds are that is where you are staying especially if you are intending to transfer up. To transfer up you basically need to be in the top 20% of the class  and there is an 80% chance you won't be in the top 20%. Law students at any ABA school are smart and everyone on the first day thinks they will be in the top 20% and you don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure out how that work. Now Ohio Northern, Hamline etc are ok schools, but they are offering you money for your numbers so they can boost their rankings. As soon as they can report your score your numbers mean nothing and how well you perform in school will be how they judge you.

I am guessing Ohio Northern & Hamline put some kind of conditions on your scholarship such as keeping a 3.0 or being in some percentage of the class. A 3.0 sounds easy, but in law school is not generally only 35% of first year students can have a 3.0 so there is a 65% chance you will lose it for your second and third years. You will also not be able to transfer and you will be stuck paying full tuition at a school you never really wanted to go to.

Bottom line is DO NOT go to law school intending to transfer, because odds are it will not happen. Also choose a school you will be happy with and don't rush into anything. Law school is a 100,000+ 3 year commitment and this is a big deal. Do not rush into anything. I would wait to apply until next cycle and see what your real options are. As a sidenote you should attend an LSAC forum before applying and you will get numerous fee waviers so you can apply to a lot more schools and really see what you are worth.

Good luck to you.

Law School Applications / Re: Can I get into Harvard?
« on: July 20, 2011, 02:11:56 PM »
You have a chance at Harvard and the other Boston schools would likely give you a full scholarship with your numbers. Check out to see how much money you schools like Boston College or Boston give out. a person with a 168 & 3.75 got a $75,000 scholarship to Boston College. Suffolk, Northeastern, New England, might give you a full scholarship plus a stipend with your numbers. Just things to think about good luck.

Also one thing to wary of on these scholarship offers on the conditions. Many will require you to maintain a certain GPA or class standing and this is difficult to do in law school because there is a curve. Good luck. 

You should still read at least in your first year. When you get to the real world you will have to read full cases so you might as well get used to doing it in school. Sometimes these briefs leave out important issues as well and in your first year you have nothing to do, but study so you might as well do the reading. Then use sources like this one to confirm what you read is correct.

I think these e-mails are often sent out to manipulate the rankings. They just want you to apply so they can reject you and make it look like they rejected more applicants. I remember in 2008 getting e-mails with attached fee waivers from all kinds of schools many of which were a long shot for me to be accepted into. They quickly reject you and make it look like there school is more selective than they really are. Just one of the many ways law schools waste time, money, and man power trying to manipulate a for-profit private magazine that has no authority instead of giving the best education they can to their students.

Studying and Exam Taking / Re: Did I fail my exam?
« on: July 14, 2011, 01:37:20 PM »
I think every law student has this same feeling after an exam. I should have done this, I didn't talk about that, I forget this, and it happens to everyone. I have gotten the highest grade in the class on a few occassions and had the same feeling of sh** I forget this issue or that issue and I did, but there are usually 16-20 issues and if you miss only one you are doing pretty well. As long as you wrote something coherent you should pass and generally law schools don't give out F's or D's if you really blew it you might get a C or C-.

Yea I think people vary on whether or not to prepare and I don't think it could hurt, but in reality I think the most important thing any 1L can do is learn to type fast. One of the most difficult things about 1st year exams are the time pressure you are under. If you can type 100wpm you will be able analyze more issues and that will put you ahead of the curve.

E-Case Briefs has some good Multiple Choice Questions and outlines. I also think Cali Lessons are very helpful.

Well the Whittier curve is extremely tough and there is an 80% chance you won't keep your scholarship there. Nothing against you, but pretty much anyone at an ABA school thinks they will be in the top 10-20%, but you don't need to be a math major to figure out 80-90% of people won't be in the top 10-20%.

Now I don't know what Western State's curve is I tried to look at their handbook, but I didn't see the curve. Generally speaking at an ABA especially one that gives out scholarships based on you maintaining a certain GPA it is very difficult to achieve the GPA. I am just speculating that it will be difficult to maintain a 2.6 at Western, but I would specifically ask them what Western State's curve is.

The schools are about equal, but I might give a slight edge to Whittier, because it has been ABA approved for much longer than Western State, which just received accreditation. I would also e-mail some practicing attorneys from those schools and see what they have to say.

Either way good luck.

Where should I go next fall? / Re: Where can I get in?
« on: July 13, 2011, 12:32:09 PM » is a great website to answer these type of questions. You can look at every school and see what numbers got in where. Also if you are a URM with a 3.7 & 148 it will make a significant difference in where you can get in. You can see how important URM status is on good luck.

As far as the LSAT goes it might be worth a retake. Most schools take your highest score so you really don't have anything to lose.

Where should I go next fall? / Re: Chances at getting in/scholarships
« on: July 12, 2011, 02:35:38 PM »
Numerous schools will give you academic scholarships with those numbers. Check out and you can get an idea of how much you will get with your numbers.

General Board / Re: How to find new case filings?
« on: July 11, 2011, 04:36:09 PM »
I don't know if this is what your looking for, but maybe. You can go here to look at all the different California Courts and they all vary.

Sacramento had a setup where you could search by filing date and each courts website is different so I am guessing it depends on where in Cali you are.

This was the Sacramento Court website where you could search by case imitation date.

Then this were the results that came up when searching for case initiation dates, but I think it might be a few days behind at least in Sacramento.

It seems like each court has different setups, but maybe if your county has it setup this info could help you out.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 148