Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - Advocate

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
41
General Board / Clerkship letters of recommendation?
« on: June 15, 2009, 08:15:52 AM »
I'm looking to apply for clerkship, and now I'm supposed to get three letters.  The problem is that I haven't had any one professor more than once.  For example, can I really go back and ask my 1L Torts professor for a recommendation based on the A I received in his class?  Or should I only ask professors I had 2nd year who will be more likely to remember me?  I could get good letters from my various internship supervisors (who, of course, remember me), but the judges seem to want academic recommendations. This is annoying. 

42
Where should I go next fall? / Re: Still undecided....
« on: June 15, 2009, 06:37:47 AM »
No, you can change your financial aid if you change your mind.  I did.  Just take out the max Stafford loan amount. The financial aid people at your school can fix it latter. They can also fix your Plus loan amount.  Just don't take any of those awful private loans (the non plus loan type).  You really should go to American though -- unless you want to be a public defender or are determined to live in South Texas and work in a small firm or for the local government.  Even then, American would still probably be fine.

43
General Board / Re: Ranking law schools on a standard distribution?
« on: June 14, 2009, 11:30:47 AM »
McDonalds is also a nationally known name. Sometimes its fun to eat there, but 90 percent of the stuff on the menu is awful and terrible for your health. :P

But maybe you're right and Howard is underrated.  I think the reason it is Third Tier is that 155 LSAT is its 75th Percentile!  By way of comparison, 156 is CUA's 25th percentile.  Maybe post-graduation employment should be weighted more heavily and LSAT scores less heavily? However, you'd need to look at the type of job that the average graduate gets -- not just the top ten percent who get national Biglaw.

44
General Board / Re: Ranking law schools on a standard distribution?
« on: June 14, 2009, 12:26:50 AM »
My understanding RE: Howard is that the top 10 percent or so are courted by biglaw for diversity hires, but the other 90 percent are no better off than other Third Tier graduates. And yeah, I forgot there even were unaccredited schools . . . added.

45
Reviews, Visits, and Rankings / Re: Best T3 and T4 Law Schools
« on: June 13, 2009, 07:13:20 PM »
I've heard good things about Syracuse and Howard.

46
General Board / Ranking law schools on a standard distribution?
« on: June 13, 2009, 01:44:46 PM »
Wouldn't it make sense to grade law schools the way they grade law students?  The current manner of ranking law schools seems to be pretty inaccurate after the top 20 schools or so.  For example, American is rated much higher than CUA, but has only a slightly better Biglaw placement.

Something like:

A+ current T3
A  current t14
A- current T25
B+ Mason and similar schools
B  AMU and similar schools
B- CUA and similar schools
C+ Howard and similar schools
C  Widener and similar schools that place okay in some niche
C- Low cost current 4th tier schools like UDC (regardless of placement)
D  Cooley etc. (higher priced T4s or those that do not require a B.A. etc.)
F - Unaccredited schools

47
General Board / Re: I HATE MY SITUATION!!!
« on: June 13, 2009, 09:09:34 AM »
You see things like this in high school sports when a small county track champion goes to a big state meet and finishes towards the back of the pack.  Why don't you just take a bunch of easy writing classes or seminars during your 3L year. You could inflate your GPA, and the classes should not be so stressful.  I mean, really . . . do gunners take Law and Literature?

48
General Board / College Cost Reduction Act of 2007
« on: June 10, 2009, 08:00:56 AM »
The best deal ever?

49
General Board / Re: 0L Question
« on: June 09, 2009, 11:57:43 AM »
Lawyers at the top of any field make lots of money -- even in criminal law (remember OJ's lawyers).

You want a more specific answer though. I've been told Patent law is very profitable. Although, you can only take the patent bar if you have an undergrad degree in Science or Engineering).  You could still do copyright law, but I'm not sure if that is equally profitable.

50
You'll get better at legal research with practice.  I recommend you get as much free Lexis and Westlaw training as you can.  Those companies offer daily classes in legal research at my school.  They probably do at your school too.

As to your question, ALL legal jobs require legal research.  That's what lawyers do.  So you just need to get better at it.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8