I second that.
This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.
Began the journey when I was 35. Worked full time, went to school at night while supporting a family. Now a lawyer at 39 and truly enjoying myself. Was well worth the pain (and it IS painful!)No pain no gain. and I bet it hurts soooo good!
Thanks Kilroy. I must say, it was also rather disappointing that some of our future classmates were asking questions that they should have known the answers to before they even applied to law school. Then again, I guess those people are our insurance against being at the bottowm of the classNow Now... December is a long time from now.
Gwiz- some people work their asses off and don't do as well as others during 1L. That's because there is one type of class and not everyone is equally successful in that type of learning environment. While it's partially a matter of perseverance, it's just as much a matter of luck. In 2L/3L you can pick whether to take a paper class/seminar or lectures so people are better able to improve their grades by picking classes in which they'll do better.I agree in whole. That "perserverance variable" (which may be a small part of the whole package) starts before classes start. If you begin everything thinking you are in the middle or at the end of the pack, then that is where you will probably be. It is giving up before you have started. I've seen it before. People, who are perfectly capable, destroying thier chances because they never believed they could do it in the first place. It's a psychological challenge too. For alot of people that is the their weakness.
Maybe, but sometimes "realists" are just trying to avoid risk and disappointment. You can be prepared for middle of the road and still aim high. Class placement isn't a passive process. Everyone has some influence on how they will place. I know it't annoying, but it's true: If you think you can, or you think you can't; your're right.I never understood that attitude. Why don't yout think you can make top 10%?
Everyone around you is trying to make top 10%, and actually believe they can. If you don't have that drive You may be destined for bottom 10%. What's wrong with aiming for #1? If you don't make it at least you make a good run at it. Maybe the guy that makes #1 had a hard time getting there, and holding that place.
Sound to me like you've already given up.
The OP is just trying to be realistic about his/her job prospects. It's stupid to go into a school thinking you'll be top 10% because the chances are high that you will be in the bottom 90% or around the middle of the class. Planning for that possibility just makes more sense than planning that you'll be in the top 10%. People who think they'll be in the middle probably make more efforts from the start to network and look more well-rounded for employers. I think 60-75 is probably a reasonable expectation. The Tier 2 in my area is up in the 70s now for a median private sector salary and it is not a high-paying region.
Not really. But I'm begining to realize that (at least on LSD) law students have a terrible time drawing connections. I suspect it a matter of undergraduate training. I studied finance so to me they are both mathmatically the same. They're both assets one is of more intrinsic, but both are used financially in the same manner. Getting a JD is a better investment unless your real estate investment is in donald Trump sized projects.-You could get a $100K (100% loan) note to goto L.S. You could get a $100K (100% loan to value) note to buy a houseBesides It's like buying a house that has the potential of over 100% return per year, can not be reposessed, and has small minimum payments ($50) for the note.
-You may get a salary around $100k when you graduate L.S.(100% per year return) Your house may appreciate in value by $5k per year (5% per year return)
-If you don't pay your school loan you won't loose the knowlege you gained, or your JD. if you don't pay your mortgage note your house will get reposessed
-You can opt to pay $50 per month on your school note. On a mortgage you can not. Both can be refinanced on a regular basis.
Not that complex, not that dissimilar
Sorry. I didn't understand because it was wildly out of context...mostly because an education is entirely different from real property....