This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.
Messages - sladkaya
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8  10 11 12 13 14 ... 45
« on: March 26, 2007, 12:10:40 PM »
I'm about 80% sure that's what I'll be doing, and wanted to see what others think.
To save you guys a trip to my LSN, UT will cost $27,000 over 3 years, Northwestern $30,000, UCLA $47,000, and Michigan $54,000. Cost is a major issue as I'm not a citizen or permanent resident and will have to rely on ridiculously high interest private loans.
Priorities: want to work in corporate litigation, 2-3 years at a firm and then in-house if possible. Ideally would like to practice in Austin after graduation.
Other factors: already live in Austin, husband will have to find a good job if we move, have a 3-year old who's in a great preschool, have a great support system in Austin both for child care and networking purposes.
I've pretty much eliminated Michigan from consideration, since my husband has not been able to find good jobs in Detroit/Ann Arbor so far. UCLA is still a contender because we have family in LA, but unless they give me more money, I don't see that happening. So the main question is, would you uproot the family and move to Chicago or stay put if you were me?
« on: March 24, 2007, 05:38:13 PM »
Matthies, these are great!!!
Not sure if we'll have to sell now, but I saved these tips for later. One other tip my realtor friend gave me was to take screens off all of your windows and leave them in the garage. The house will instantly look brighter, especially if you keep the windows spotless. And new owners can pop them back in if they want.
« on: March 23, 2007, 06:09:45 PM »
I just wanted to let you guys know that I had an email exchange with UT that resulted in a grant offer. I simply wrote a cover letter, included a scan of the offer from a lesser ranked school, and viola!
Awesome! That's one of the cinderella stories I was hoping to hear.
« on: March 21, 2007, 08:26:30 PM »
I have nothing to add, but it has been a week since I posted. I needed my fix. Regrets to the dings, congrats to the admitted, welcome to the waitlist club members. Drove by and waived from 35 last night and Austin traffic is just horrible. I think it may be as bad as Houston's main arteries.
Hey there! I-35 can be quite horrible in rush hour. Mopac is a little better, unless there's an accident. To me, the good thing about Austin is that it's small enough to where you find a shortcut to get to many places and avoid the traffic.
« on: March 21, 2007, 08:12:52 PM »
Wow - just looked at your lsn - you are a grant money rockstar! Hope you shared some of those offers with Mich (esp Northwestern).
Thanks Monkey! I've been on a scholarship crusade since before I even sent out my applications (and that goal determined where I applied almost as much as my specific interests and programs), so it feels great to have such nice results.
And I most certainly shared NU's offer with Michigan, that's why I'm on pins and needles waiting to see what they do - I just want to decide where I'm going already!
« on: March 21, 2007, 08:08:26 PM »
I opted for the e-mail to make my case. I think calling on the spot can catch people off guard, and I don't want to catch someone on a bad day. It's not like they're going to make a decision right then anyway.
Oh, no, I totally agree that e-mail should come first! In the post I quoted, OP was wondering how to follow up on their original request - forwarding their negotiations letter to the dean or some other way. I suggested calling to follow up.
« on: March 21, 2007, 08:06:10 PM »
I'm up for after nine. That's actually better, as I plan to get the kidlet in bed first and then go party! Any current students want to join us? C'mon I know you don't have Friday classes
« on: March 21, 2007, 07:58:50 PM »
I sent a letter in at the start of the month asking for more money and have not heard back. Should i just sweat it out, or should i send my letter in an email to the dean of admissions? I dont want to seem pushy, but i'd like to know that they actually *got* my letter before there is truly no money left.
Unless they specifically tell you not to, I would call instead. It's a better way to find out in a non-pushy manner, and indicates more interest in the school than just knocking out a quick e-mail. Plus you get a chance to make a good impression
« on: March 21, 2007, 03:25:44 PM »
YES! I'm still waiting on Michigan. Not that I think they'll give me an amazing scholarship, but until I hear I just can't move on with my life
« on: March 21, 2007, 02:56:59 PM »
That was kind of a harsh email. At first glance I thought it was a straight up rejection. I figure I'll hang out on it just to see what happens, but probably chalk it up as a rejection. This way I can splurge and start buying Bama Law stuff when I visit next week!
Have you made up your mind about moving if you don't get into UT vs. waiting out a year?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8  10 11 12 13 14 ... 45