This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.
Messages - Texas88
« on: December 28, 2006, 09:50:18 AM »
I'm assuming you need to wait until you get your grades or you will just be mailing out resumes to be used as coasters.
I just love this quote.
Actually, I sent out resumes on 12/1, and I've gotten a number of positive responses; not a ton, mind you, but I do have 4 callback interviews. I also have about 35 rejections. I think 90% of the 1Ls who do end up getting 1L firm jobs are the ones who took the time to mass mass in December. The other 10% are kids who did really great on exams and can work it at Spring OCI.
« on: December 21, 2006, 02:51:03 PM »
You can't go wrong with sending out resumes to firms on 12/1 if you're at a top law school and/or have a great resume. If you are looking for PI volunteer work, you should wait until spring, because PI groups don't know what kind of help they'll need in the summer until close to the summer.
Personally, so far I've gotten 4 interviews out of the 200 letters I sent out on 12/1. I doubt I'd get that many responses on 1/1, but I might get even more after grades come out. The verdict? Either send them out on 12/1 or wait 'til grades come out. If your grades are good enough, firms will come to you. The strength to an early mail drop is that someone might hire you w/o grades.
« on: December 13, 2006, 01:47:29 PM »
Yeah, UT has like a 1% attrition rate, and they bragged about it all through orientation. They want to keep us, and keep us happy.
« on: December 13, 2006, 01:45:58 PM »
Well said UChi2L.
You definitely don't want to mess with lady lawyers. We're feisty.
« on: December 13, 2006, 01:11:26 PM »
Maybe this is a flame. But if it's not, it's really sad.
« on: December 13, 2006, 12:47:34 AM »
Sharpchick -- Glad your interview went well. I hope you get an offer!
« on: December 12, 2006, 09:22:36 PM »
Law School Confidential (a.k.a. my law school bible) says to always share notes -- for all of the reasons above. Basically, it's far worse to be disliked by the whole class for being smart and stingy than to risk one person using your outline to beat you on the curve.
Members of my study group each made our own outlines, and then we merged them into a mega outline for our open-book class, and let me tell you, making my outline was helpful, but reading their take on the same lectures is giving me a deeper understanding of the material. My recommendation (coming from someone who hasn't take the test yet, mind you) is to find a small group of people who are already working as hard as you are, and mutually use one another's outlines and study materials. There are 3 of us, and while my notes may be helping the other two beat me on the curve, what is two people ahead of me when because of my sharing I'm leaping ahead of the curve?
Just a thought.
Then again, my study group is pretty hardcore. Two people dropped out because they felt like they weren't contributing enough.
« on: December 12, 2006, 04:15:50 PM »
Ok, I haven't won the job lottery yet, so I won't pretend to give you advice... but I've heard that firms are usually willing to give you more time. They'd rather do that than have you take their offer and then blow it off later after you get a better one.
I have a question: What year are you? Just asking because if you're a 1L, you're a rockstar for getting offers already!
Regardless, congrats on the offer!
« on: December 12, 2006, 12:22:47 AM »
I'm one of those freaks who really likes law school. I find the law fascinating, my classes inspiring, and my classmates both bright and sympathetic. Yes, you can start hating me now.
I don't love class every day, but I'm usually more excited to go to class now than I was as an undergrad. I think part of what keeps me going about law school is that I'm learning about things that actually matter -- real laws and events and principles -- while in undergrad I felt like most of my classes were pointless. I feel like I have a purpose in law school, and I like that. I also go to a school with wonderful weather and a great quality of life, so that probably helps.
Does anyone else feel this way? Like I said, I'm a freak.
« on: December 09, 2006, 06:06:21 PM »
Grades are always most important... My guess is that any interviews gotten before grades come out are offered on the assumption that your undergrad grades are a good indicator that you'll do well.