This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.
Messages - grover
« on: June 20, 2008, 03:24:56 PM »
go to loyola...insanely better weather, better school, and if you lose your scholarship after first year, you won't get stuck with syracuse's ridiculous 43k in full tuition (assuming those are merit scholarships).
if you have family or friends or contacts in the local legal market in syracuse then maybe that is reason to consider otherwise but i personally wouldn't think twice about the choice between those two schools.
« on: June 20, 2008, 01:54:23 PM »
i am just speculating but i would assume that the worst that can happen is being notified by one of your schools that you need to make a decision in X amount of days after this school realizes you have multiple deposits down or they will pull their offer of acceptance.
on a personal note, i don't have multiple deposits down but would have no internal struggles or ethical dilemmas with this situation...this admissions process is a game and if the multiple deposits buys you more time to make a decision, then great...it is like you are waitlisting the schools that accepted you and i kinda like that!
« on: June 13, 2008, 05:00:09 PM »
no i dont mind at all. its a small school in cleveland called case western reserve. i dont know how well known it is but they have a really good international law program, which im kinda interested in. but i think the change from this area will be good. i'm kinda scared to see what the winters will be like there though. i heard theyre pretty rough.
don't worry too much about the winters...i went to gonzaga undergrad and came from california and i had no problem. spokane gets all 4 seasons distinctly which i think is kinda nice. it definitely gets cold and gray during january-february, but the weather isn't like going to school in buffalo or syracuse or anything ridiculously extreme like that. just bring a coat for sure.
« on: June 12, 2008, 05:02:09 PM »
Oh man, I wanna transfer to Stanford now!
My son turned SLS down and went to HLS, just graduated cum laude, got a great biglaw job, made great friends and had a great three years. He just wasn't a Ca. person.
Are we supposed to be surprised here? No one cares about your son. Go get a life.
wow iceman. that was kind of mean. your kind of a jerk!
« on: June 02, 2008, 03:23:20 PM »
i also like some of the old brick apartment buildings in brown's edition but have heard there is a lot of drug activity in that area and people hanging out that are a little sketchy... totally random, right?
anyway, that changed my opinion of that area a bit. it's probably not that big of a deal to someone who is at the library all day but it would be something i would ask building managers about in the area before i signed a lease.
« on: June 02, 2008, 01:34:54 PM »
south hill is the nicest area to live in spokane hands down. the only issue is that when it snows heavily, it is a little tricky getting off the hill and down to GU. the road i have taken up there in the past is a bit of an incline.
with that said, my girlfriend's family has lived on South Hill for a long time and her dad works downtown and manages alright during the winter. there must be a few good routes to take when it is icy out but i am unaware of them at this point.
« on: June 02, 2008, 01:22:11 PM »
the email i sent them was really brief and to the point...maybe 4 or 5 lines explaining that i currently have a deposit down at another school but that i continue to be highly interested in their school and would be honored to receive an acceptance offer.
the letter i had written the month prior had been more in depth as to why i was interested in attending their school (it was about one page typed, 12 font size). i didn't make any promises such as "if accepted, i will undoubtedly attend" because i knew that was not the case.
i don't think getting off these lists is an exact science (otherwise i would have probably heard from the other 5 schools that waitlisted me too) but i think short and to the point is the way to go whether that be via email or letter. they just want to know that you are still in the ballgame.
« on: May 30, 2008, 06:18:52 PM »
lawordie, i am definitely going to check out those apartments you and upwithmontana have been talking about. i graduated from GU as an undergrad in '03 so i am unfamiliar with those new apartment complexes but $675 for what you just described sounds pretty good.
« on: May 30, 2008, 05:41:34 PM »
i passed up a 50% offer at Syracuse too...43k/year is scary. especially considering the fact that their tuition was 35k two years ago. what, is it going to be 50k/year by the time you are in your 3rd year? for like the 5th or 6th best law school in the state? i applied there when i saw their tuition listed as 35k in the '08 US News and that was dumb of me not to research it further. it just seems waaaay overpriced.
it is probably a good education and if you can afford it, it could turn out to be a great situation for you but as someone who doesn't want to practice in syracuse, it was an easy withdrawal.
not wanting to be too negative about your option but i just think it sounds like you are being given some pretty good offers from the other schools and i think after the top 20, the rankings are way overrated. go with the option that won't cripple you with debt until you are in your mid-40s.
« on: May 30, 2008, 05:27:29 PM »
i got into Catholic University's law school in D.C. on Wednesday off their waitlist...they gave me two days to get my deposit postmarked in the mail.
i actually decided to pass up this tier 2 school for the tier 3 that offered me a significant scholarship instead. couldn't handle the 36k/year at Catholic just to go to a slightly higher ranked school but it still sucks to have to make decisions like this based on prohibitive cost issues.
anyway, i wrote Catholic a letter of continuing interest about a month and a half ago and then emailed them last week prior to getting accepted Wednesday. never called and bugged them or anything although i think if i was really dying to go to a particular school, i would definitely call and express that interest over the phone. i know that one school (that i am still on their waitlist right now) that i called mentioned that they were going to note in my file that i have called and expressed interest.