« on: May 27, 2006, 07:44:03 PM »
Making it official...... University of Southern California!
This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.
Messages - reynolda
Just talked to the admissions office. The 10 waitlist spots have been given out and accepted. Letters releasing waitlist candidates started to be mailed out yesterday and all of them will be mailed by next week.
thanks for that info... i'm sure they're sick of talking to me by now... but i may call on monday if curiosity gets the best of me
so... the waitlist page says they'll be giving out 10 or so offers in the next 2 weeks (posted on the 15th of may, so, i'm assuming that means 2 weeks from that date). anyone heard anything? that time frame should mean the end of this week or early next...
i apologize if this is being discussed elsewhere, please feel free to direct me to that discussion if so
i think we're all aware that waitlists are not compulsory- we play at our own risk.
however, from what i've found, everyone who was admitted outright seems to love duke's admissions office... and most of the people waitlisted have a lot of complaints.
of course, we could attribute this to the fact that we're all bitter because we didn't get in in the first place, but this isn't always the case with waitlisted applicants. i for one have been continually impressed with the professionalism and care shown by michigan's admissions office throughout the whole process. they make sure that applicants on the waitlist are kept up to date on what's happening and happy to provide more information whenever its asked for.
duke, on the other hand, has not been as easy to work with. sure, they've offered another opportunity for some us to gain admission, which is great, even though those it was offered to were forced to agree to do a joint program in order to take it. however grateful we are and should be for this chance, i think the frustration you're seeing here and elsewhere has come from the fact that duke hasn't been great about communicating what's going on. at first, all summer start programs were seen as options, but people were given different answers about the availability in reality of many of these. we also were told that we would be given an up-or-down answer by several different deadlines, all which have since elapsed.
on top of this, it certainly HAS to be annoying to those who were placed on a waitlist for the specific program that apparently had spots available to watch a bunch of people with no formerly expressed interest be consulted first.
and finally...many of the people who got this email have 166/3.75+... which is low on the LSAT side, but certainly not in terms of gpa.
that's interesting about the summer numbers-- i wasn't aware that it worked that way.
and i think that everyone on the summer waitlist has reason to be REALLY annoyed-- i have no idea why they pulled this stunt.... if they truly care about getting a class full of people who are going to do well in their programs, then why 'force' applicants with (possibly) little interest in these joint programs to do them just to have a chance to attend duke? it seems rather ridiculous to me. why even HAVE a summer waitlist if they're going to do everything they can not to admit the people on it for the program they want to do. duke gets my vote for being one of the most asinine admissions offices i've dealt with this cycle.
seriously this whole mess feels like a junior high dance. where all of the pretty girls already have dates, and i'm the chubby one, still hanging onto some thread of hope that one of the pairings will break up and the boy will ask me at the last minute.
hah, yeah, traumatic childhood
and bonkers, i really don't care about this mess at this point-- in truth, i probably can't pull out of my study abroad thing anymore, and would have trouble getting a flight... so it's rather a moot point.
hmm... i did not get this email.
i did-- but then i wrote letters of interest for political science and the llm program. no response back for either. the response about policy came early friday morning before they (apparently) started making offers, and he asked if i'd be willing to consider doing any of the others.