Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - dudel59

Pages: [1]
1
Where should I go next fall? / Re: 162/3.74- Top University, Chacnes?
« on: October 30, 2008, 04:10:35 PM »
Dear Flame,

I wish you the best of luck "right"-ing your incredible personal statement.  you're awesome!

2
Where should I go next fall? / Re: 162/3.74- Top University, Chacnes?
« on: October 30, 2008, 03:51:01 PM »
1.4 schools?  seriously?  someone needs a math lesson...

let's assume that on average, your chances of getting into any ONE T14 school is 10%.  That means there's a 90% chance you WON'T get in.  the chances of you not getting in to ANY of them is (0.9)^14 = 23%.  Therefore, your chances of getting into 1 or more T14 school is 77%.

Those assumptions, however, probably aren't right.  if you use LSAC calculator, the bottom T14 (georgetown, northwestern, etc) give you a roughly ~10% chance.  NYU, on the other hand, is pegged out at 0.  realistically, your average admissions % chance inside the T14 is probably more like 3-4%, which would change the results above to more like 60% you don't get into any of them, 40% change you get into 1 or more.  With the applications fees, that's a $1k gamble where your odds are less than a coin flip.  that's how it breaks down, but of course the decision is up to you!!!

3
General Board / Re: Question on buying a home.
« on: October 17, 2008, 12:19:30 PM »
typical closing times range from 1 - 3 months, and depend on a number of factors.  The most important, and probably most common cause of delay is the buyers' ability to secure financing.  Getting approval from the local bank branch you're going with is just the first step; then it goes on to regional and/or national offices, then whoever is underwriting the mortgage (GE finance, for example) has to approve you as well.  In my case, I got a NYS subsidized mortgage for first time home buyers, so that added yet another layer of red tape to get through.  Nowadays you also have to provide a paper trail for every last penny you plan on using for the down payment.  Additionally, if the inspection reveals deficiencies and you try to negotiate credits, etc, that too can delay the process. 

it's a pain in the rear trying to plan and time everything accordingly.  it's not uncommon for home buyers to find themselves with a rental lease that has run out and a house they are still a few weeks away from closing on.  in that situation, it is very common for the buyer to "rent" the house they are buying from the seller.  it's usually at a daily rate prorated for either the buyers future mortgage or the sellers current one, i forget which.  That is, of course, if the buyer is already out and willing to do this.  just keep it in the back of your mind that it could be an option if you're in a bind.

4
Law School Applications / Re: Low upga
« on: October 16, 2008, 10:04:51 AM »
if you really want to go to law school, there's no reason you shouldn't give it your best shot.  thoroughly preparing for the LSAT is the first step, and fortunately for you most law schools weight your LSAT score much more heavily than UGPA.  That being said, your UGPA will be your weakness, but you can attempt to mitigate its effect by submitting and addendum concerning your illness.  The more work experience you have, the more you will distance yourself from college grades as well.  Depending on how you do on the LSAT, you also might want to consider part time programs: they tend to look favorabley on applicants with significant work experience and, since the USN rankings don't count part time applicants' numbers, they tend to be more lenient with the raw numbers. 

In short, rock the LSAT and objectively evaluate your prospects once you have your score.

5
LSAC and LSDAS / Re: LSDAS GPA
« on: July 18, 2008, 01:38:55 PM »
here's a nit picky point that may interest only me...

if you look on the LSDAS summary academic report, you'll see under "Grades Earned" that the numeric value assigned to each letter grade only goes out to 1 decimal place (an A is a 4.0, not a 4.00, etc).  Then in the calculation of your overall GPA they take it out to 2 decimal places (cum UGPA is a 3.67, not a 3.7).

As far as I can tell, this is a violation of signifigant digits, because the numbers associated with each individual letter grade are the "limiting" data source.  by going out to two decimal places, LSDAS is implying that the data used to compile that final number has precision out to that many signifigant digits.

Thoughts?

6
Law School Applications / solicitations and fee waivers
« on: July 17, 2008, 12:23:40 PM »
quick question for everybody - i got a 164 on the June 08 lsat, and now i'm getting emails from lower T1 schools & T2 schools saying they still have spots left for next fall, please apply, here's a fee waiver, etc.  The schools include Indiana-B, Case, and a few others.  Are they just trying to get more apps to appear more selective (and will in turn probably reject most of these solicited apps) or are they just desperate for people with OK numbers?

7
Studying for the LSAT / Re: 164 or retake?
« on: July 10, 2008, 01:51:38 PM »
kels - new theory:

so i just went ahead and "re-took" the rest of june '08 test.  overall, i only did 1 point better than i did officially.  this kind of flies in the face of my theory from above.  now i'm really scratching my head.  a couple of ideas...

a)  i'm out of practice since it's been almost a month since i've done any of this stuff.

b)  a 164 accurately represents my ability on this particular LSAT administration.  what i'm not sure of is if this represents my ability to perform on the LSAT in general?  The last PT i took was Dec. '07 (prep test 53, i believe), and i got a 173.  big difference in score, right?  Although the LSAT is standardized in the sense that the same curve is used to scale the test to the test taking popoulation in general, i wonder what the variance within each individual can be?  in other words, everything being equal, can someone be a lot "better" at taking one LSAT than at another?

8
Studying for the LSAT / Re: 164 or retake?
« on: July 10, 2008, 12:26:40 PM »
kels - great question and it has been eating away at me since i got my score.  i was also extremely confident i had done well walking out of the test. 

i missed a bunch on RC, which was normal for me.  if, however, i had done my usual on LR and LG i would have gotten 168-170.  looking over the LR i missed, i'd say my downfall there was going too fast and not reading the stimuli and answer choices closely enough.  this is bolstered by the fact that i finished both LR sections with 3-4 minutes to spare.  in most cases i picked the trap answer because i didn't really scrutinize the wording/logic. 

lesson learned - read the f&#$ing question, stupid!  now i know if i have time left, i probably didn't read closely enough.

on games i think i got a little arrogant because on the ones i missed i tried to figure out the solution in my head.  what i should have done was taken the new information and drawn a mini setup just for that question and worked it out.  when i re-did the games a couple of days ago, i did just that and got all of them right well within the time limit.

i think in both cases it boils down to the nerves of test day and not staying disciplined.  if i had used the same techniques and test management on the real thing as I did on my practice tests, i would have done fine.  hopefully next time i'll be a bit more at ease since i'll have done all of this before and still have a good, but not great score to fall back on.  what do you think your problem was?

9
Studying for the LSAT / 164 or retake?
« on: July 08, 2008, 10:52:33 AM »
so here's my deal: I have a B.S. and M.S. in an engineering/physics discipline + 4 years experience as an engineer (several published papers, etc).  UGPA was only a 3.1 (with a steady upward trend), and i did well in grad school.  I got a 164 on the June 08 lsat after consistently getting 170+ on timed, realistic conditions practice tests.

1) What schools do I have a good shot at with these numbers and

2) Should I retake in Oct? 

10
Non-Traditional Students / 164 or retake?
« on: July 08, 2008, 10:41:17 AM »
so here's my deal: I have a B.S. and M.S. in an engineering/physics discipline + 4 years experience as an engineer (several published papers, etc).  UGPA was only a 3.1 (with a steady upward trend), and i did well in grad school.  I got a 164 on the June 08 lsat after consistently getting 170+ on timed, realistic conditions practice tests.

1) What schools do I have a good shot at with these numbers and

2) Should I retake in Oct? 

Pages: [1]