Law School Discussion

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Topics - AEW100

Pages: [1] 2
Just got a call from St John's offering me a spot in the part time day program.  Does anyone know anything about part time day programs?  Do you take classes with the other full time students and just take one less class or is there actually a part time day section?  Also, what's the point of part-time day?! Why can't they just let me in as a full time 1L??!!

I should probably just call the school and ask all of these questions (minus the last one!)  But any thoughts/comments you guys might have would also be greatly appreciated.

Incoming 1Ls / Switching from PT to FT
« on: July 07, 2005, 06:18:25 AM »
I was accepted off the waitlist to the part time program at St. John's and I want to switch into the full time program for 2L.  I'm kind of nervous about job prospects for summer of 1L and how this will affect other aspects of my law school experience.  Anyone have any thoughts on switching from part time to full time or know someone who has done it and can give some advice on the process?

Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists / Suffok vs. St. John's PT
« on: July 06, 2005, 10:38:24 AM »
I know, I'm crazy to even be debating between these two, but I'm pretty torn.  I have lived in Boston for a year and love it here.  I had a great apt all lined up in the North End (I was planning on signing the lease tonight!) but then last night I received a letter from St. John's saying I am in off the waitlist.  I really like St. John's and have no idea of what I should do!  I wouldn't mind working in New York for a little while but I think that I'd ultimately like to live up in New England.  Could I eventually work up here after attending St. John's?  Also, will going part time the first year then full time the second significantly affect my job prospects for the summer of 1L and 2L?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Got the letter yesterday, dated June 29th.  Accepted into the part time evening program but I just talked to the admissions office and they said I could probably transfer into the part time day.  I'm psyched!

Incoming 1Ls / Mail Merge - what's in it?
« on: June 13, 2005, 11:48:38 AM »
So I've seen a few threads saying that the summer before law school you should start working on your 'mail merge' for your summer 1L job search.  What exactly is a mail merge?  What kind of information do I need to start working on one?

Incoming 1Ls / Just bought a Dell 700m
« on: June 03, 2005, 08:38:12 AM »
Just ordered a 700m using the $750 off coupon.  I think I got a good deal.  Please reassure me that I made the right decision! I hardly know anything about computers but this one seems to be a good laptop...

Financial Aid / Loans and waitlists
« on: May 31, 2005, 12:04:01 PM »
I have put down two seat deposits at Suffok Law and they want 1/2 of first semester's tuition by July 1st in order to register for classes.  So, I took out a private loan in addition to my Stafford Loan for Suffolk from the Access group.  Now, what happens if I get off the waitlist at my top choice school?  Can I get that loan back and use it for St. John's Law?

I was waitlisted at St.John's and I've been pursuing them pretty actively (sent in letter of interest, additional rec, etc)  My father actually went to St John's Law and I indicated that on my app in the appropriate section.  Here's the thing, I just recently found out that my grandfather is also a SJU Law alum.  He was a pretty successful attorney and earned a purple heart in the army but I never met him as he died before I was born. 

Could it make any difference that my grandfather attended the school as well?  If so, what would be an appropriate way to give admissions this information?   Or is this irrelevant/not worth adding to my file?

Any input would be grealy appreciated  :)  Good luck to everyone still waitlisted!

Is this just ad com code for ding?!  So on Friday I decided to call all of the schools I haven't heard anything from yet.  Every school said the same thing "Your application is still in with the committee, no decision has been made"  Then I come home to find a rejection from Pitt that was dated March 29!  I was fully expecting this rejection but Pitt was one of the schools that said "no decision has been made."  Now I'm nervous that the other school that told me the same thing has also rejected me!

Any thoughts on this?  Do they all just tell you that your app is still with the committee just to get you off the phone?

I am still waiting on two more apps (which have been complete for months!)  When I called to check the status of my apps today, both schools said that my apps are still with admissions.  Can I send in a letter just to give the committee an update (I recently assumed a new role in the legal department of my company)? 

Pages: [1] 2